Jagermeister tour - Slayer, Mastodon, KsE

Christie_fell

Oh, the pain.
Jul 3, 2004
McLean VA
Went last night and wasn't disappointed. I showed up at the venue and was initially disheartened to see the lack of people, but the masses came rolling in as soon as the opening band Dog Fashion Disco started playing.

DFD were decent, but were not fantastic by any means. When they started playing the crowd was dead and silent, but when they started on some old Metallica the moshing began. The only good thing about them that I saw was their drummer - excellent, EXCELLENT performer. He kept me interested.

Up next were Mastodon. The mosh pit literally expanded 15 feet in diameter at their arrival and the band kept them going until their last song. Their set was good, but they didn't intrigue me as much as I'd hoped.

Killswitch Engage were next, and they put on a decent performance as well. I saw them the last time they rolled through DC, and they still aren't all that great. However, the KsE masses were overwhelming - at least 3/4 of the venue was packed with strictly Killswitch fans, and the Slayer fans were trampled and clubbed to death at this point. The guitarist from KsE started crowd surfing and the people went wild. It was okay the first time around, but when he starts doing it 5 or 6 times it annoys the hell out of you...especially if you have some fat KsE diehard fanchick squealing in your ear just to get to touch him.

Slayer were last, but definitely worth the long and sweat-filled wait. The crowd went insane, and for good reason. Slayer were fucking amazing. Now, I am not a huge Slayer fanatic, but when they performed last night it was brilliant. King had never played so good...EVER, and Lombardo made me want to cream my pants. Araya's mic wasn't turned up so all we heard were faint screams and growls, but maybe that's why their playing seemed that much more impressive. In their last set a wall of blood came crashing down and it was fantastic. It didn't reach past the first row of fans, so that could have been a disappointment to many people, but luckily I was in the front.

The concert all in all was incredibly good and worth all the pain I feel in my neck and shoulders right now. Also, I am one Kerry King pick richer, which is always a plus.

I saw this show 2 weeks ago. Mastodon were great. I didn't expect them to be a good live as they were in the studio, they they really proved me wrong. KsE were gayer than Freddy Mercury in a Turkish bath house, but that was to be expected. I really don't have to say how much ass Slayer kicked.

Cryptkeeper said:
You are a cock. KsE are gay, but how the hell are Mastodon wiggers? Slayer has sucked for 14 years? :lol:

Mastodon are wiggers just like Hatebreed, and Slayer haven't put an album out with Dave for 14 years. All albums since then is garbage.

@ Cannible clown... With every post that comes from your fingertips, you further prove your ignorance. Go rake sodomize yourself.

@ Christiefell...The Kse guitarist is probably the most annoying twat on the planet. You should've punched him in the face while he was crowd surfing.

Whether you like or dislike Hatebreed it's hard to deny that they are not really trying anything new and sticking to a well worn style, Mastodon on the other hand are at least trying to be original and both their full lengths are (IMO) very different and creative. Putting them in the same league isn't fair or accurate. Though judging by your other comments I don't really expect you to see this.

Who cares? They're the worst "metal" band ever either way.

CannibalClown can be safely ignored, as he has never seen Slayer live and is thus in no position to judge their live performance. As for the "Mastodon=wiggers" thing, that's just fucking RETARDED.

Christie, what was Slayer's setlist?

I saw this tour last night in Norfolk, Virginia.

Opening was a forgettable, unoriginal and uninspiring band called Epoxy. Rap-metal crap.

Then came Mastodon. I must say I had never seen them before and only heard a few tunes on the way to the show in my friend's car. I believe they suffered from a sub-par sound system but I really liked what I heard! Nothing monotonous or repetitious, they layed down some great stuff! I believe they only have 3 CDs out... If I was to buy one, does anybody have any suggestions which one I should pick up?

Then came the always boring Killswitch. I've seen them a couple of times and still just don't "get" them. 1/2 of the sold-out crowd of 2500 people were outside smoking and waiting for Slayer.

The on came Slayer! I have seen Slayer 5 times in the past 2 years and this was by far the best show! The playlist was varied and unpredictable. In the past you could always count on the same songs being played. I was pleasantly surprised with some old-school stuff like Necrophilia, Chemical Warfare, At Dawn They Sleep and there was one more that my Guinness-soaked brain can't remember right now. Then there was Hallowed Point, Dead Skin Mask, Mandatory Suicide, God Hates Us All and all the classics you go to a Slayer show to hear like South Of Heaven, Raining Blood and Angel Of Death. That's not a complete list... just what I can remember this morning.

Dark Hails!

I really wanted to see Slayer on this tour. I saw them over the summer on Ozzfest which was great (especially playing between Dimmu Borgir and Judas Priest) but I have always wanted to witness them in a club. What happened was kind of sucky. I live in New Jersey and I go to alot of shows in NYC. The Roseland Ballroom is a great venue but can be sucky if you don't feel like laying out money for a cab. I take the train to the Garden and walk the 21 blocks to Roseland (42 blocks round trip). Exodus and Megadeth were playing the Roseland on Wednesday November 10. I went to that as I have never seen Megadeth before and I am a huge Exodus fan (but the Skinlab guy has gotta go, I respect what hes doing but hes not even close to being a Souza or Baloff). Slayer was playing the next night at the Roseland. I work everyday from 6am - 2:30pm (most of the time I stay later than 2:30). After Megadeth I got less than 3 hours of sleep before work the next morning. Afterwork that day I was wiped and there is no way I would have been able to go to NYC, back to the Roseland again, come back home and be in work at 6am the next day. No way, no how, and I had to be in work Friday due to a corporate visit. Friday night Slayer was playing 25 minutes away from me at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ. My original plan was to see Slayer there but that show sold out so quick. So basically to make a long story short I was shit out of luck this time around. I am not a huge fan of Killswitch and Mastodon anyway. Both bands are ok but I don't listen to them. Hopefully I will catch Slayer next time playing with much better bands. I would have loved to see them with Arch Enemy last year but I missed that one too.

Pyrus said:
Christie, what was Slayer's setlist?

Disciple
War Ensemble
At Dawn They Sleep
Fight Till Death
Stain of Mind
Bloodline
Mandatory Suicide
Hallowed Point
Necrophiliac
Die By The Swords