Slayer / Mastodon last night

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
This was seriously one of the best shows I've ever been to.

An absolutely packed theatre (aliasp - have you ever seen Thebbie so tightly packed!!), the crowd was on fire, and both Slayer and Mastodon were absolutely sensational.

I've seen Slayer 4 times and this was by far the best time. Their setlist was amaaaaazing (pretty much all the classics you'd hope for and some newies too), and I couldn't help but find myself grinning ear to ear all night. This band has an amazing following, so much moreso than any other band I can think of, and the crowd seemed pretty cool overall too.

Mastodon played for 45 minutes and were awesome as well; played lots off Blood Mountain but I must admit I was surprised - I thought the punters would've been slightly more into them than they were. Nonetheless I thought they were great and a good choice for that difficult job opening for Slayer.

A great night - best metal gig I've seen in years.

Sounds good, I'll be at the Sydney show on Tuesday. Slayer is the last of the "big 4" I haven't seen yet so it it'll be good to round that out. Plus Mortal Sin are the first opener so I'm looking forward to seeing them, albeit for 20 minutes. For those who don't know, Mortal Sin opened for Anthrax on the reunion tour here.

Yes Timmy - sorry I didn't catch up with you mate. I was wearing my ATL top with my mate up the back ... he had just gotten out of plaster from his ruptured achilles - but he took the pain for SLAYER!!!

Setlist (as best as I can remember)

Darkness of Christ
Disciple
War Ensemble
Jihad

(from there on - not in order)
Bloodlines
Captor of Sin
Die by the Sword
Seasons in the Abyss
Dead Skin Mask
Supremecist
Cult
Eyes of the Insane
Raining Blood
Angel of Death
Post Mortem
Mandatory Suicide
South of Heaven

Amazing concert. SO sensational to see an official sell out at Thebby.

umm... what else ... I think thats it

I reakon they played Silent Scream as well which I was not expecting. Yeah mate I was up the back too in an Opeth shirt that turned into a Mastodon shirt after the gig. Didn't see you in the ATL shirt but did see a couple of MOMD tour shirts from the 04 tour with Bush!

Will try and hook up with you for LOG mate.

could of gone to the concert but missed it ... kicking myself ... at least my mate got me a t shirt ......