FUCKIN' SLAYER! A concert review

cookiecutter

Proceed to Ultraslamming
Feb 10, 2006
Toronto ON
slam-minded.blogspot.com
Hello everyone!

I have just awoken after a long night of metal at the unholy alliance tour in Lowell Massachusetts. Here's how it went.

The Crowd: About 2/3 mallgoths and hardcore kids, but the real metalheads were out in force in the form of people wearing thrash and death metal shirts. I got a few compliments on my Pierced From Within T-Shirt. Anyway they were fine, although it was a different atmosphere than I was used to from the smaller venue I've been to.

Thine Eyes Bleed: Good for an opening band. Had a few good moments, but nothing special. If you like thrash with metalcore vocals you probably will like them.

Mastodon: This band blew me away... by how completely and utterly bad they were. I can't even describe how terrible this band was. They descended into realms of suckery I didn't even know existed. Needless to say I was happy when Children of Bodom came on.

Children of Bodom: Pretty meh for me, but Zephyrus liked it. They were good for what they were and put on a nice show, and seemed like cool guys.

Lamb of God: Really boring for me. Not bad, as I can see what they're trying to do, it just didn't work for me. The vocalist shaved off his goofy devilock and seemed to channel Lord Worm at times, but always went back to his crappy scream thing. The Shadows Fall singer, the dude with the long dreadlocks, made a guest appearance as well. The hardcore/mallgoths loved this set.

Slayer: Slayer came on at 9:45 and I had been there for 4 and a half hours and had had to sit through 4 bands to see them. As soon as the first notes of South of Heaven came on, all was forgiven. It was amazing. They only played 2 songs past season, and one was Cult which I kind of like. Toms vocals seemed very good, and the guitar playing was very good. Dave Lombardo was of course amazing. The only thing that was odd was that Tom stopped singing and let the audience sing a lot of the parts, and no one could hear anything the audience said. They also had a projection screen above them theat showed images depending on the song. The best part of the show was the last song, Angel of Death. Zephyrus and I were just standing up singing along the whole song. It was amazing. All in all, Slayer was worth every penny and being forced to sit through four other bands of questionable quality.

Setlist from what I can remember:
South of Heaven
Silent Scream
War Ensemble
Cult
Disciple
Dead Skin Mask
Mandatory Suicide
Seasons in the Abyss
Raining Blood
Chemical Warfare
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Angel of Death

cookiecutter said:
Not from what I heard

I actually don't really care for Mastodon, but ANY band is better than Bodom. I'd rather lock myself in a padded roomwhile experiencing electro-shock therapy listening to Daddy Yankee than listen to Children Of Bodom.

ohiogrinder said:
I actually don't really care for Mastodon, but ANY band is better than Bodom. I'd rather lock myself in a padded roomwhile experiencing electro-shock therapy listening to Daddy Yankee than listen to Children Of Bodom.
I actually like Children of Bodom, always have. The singing is horrible, but I have a lot of respect for Alexi's guitar work and the keyboardist as well. The band makes pretty good music.
I'm going to try to go to this tour, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

I don't know guys what you don't like about Bodom. Of course,
for a Mastodon fan, COB is rather happy metal than heavy or power
or I don't know what kind of style it is. But what the hell, I have
all of their albums and they have quite a lot of good songs (especially on the older albums).
I' ve never been to a Bodom concert, but people tell it sucks, much better
if u listen to it on your stereo.
Another thing to mention: ESP has just created an Alexi Laiho
signature guitar. I don't think ESP would create a signature guitar
for a band that's worth shit.

Hege said:
all of their albums and they have quite a lot of good songs (especially on the older albums).
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: out of five

ender7227 said:
I actually like Children of Bodom, always have. The singing is horrible, but I have a lot of respect for Alexi's guitar work and the keyboardist as well. The band makes pretty good music.
I'm going to try to go to this tour, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

thats the main reason I don't like them...too much wankery.

Hege said:

the power metal influence is why. their songs are just pointless instrument masturbation. and most of their fans are complete retards.

Necro Joe said:
CoB suck harder than any other 'big name' metal band I can think of and Mastodon utterly rule, both live and on record. You guys fail.

Metallica sucks harder and it's a band that even people not from the metal scene know.
I see your point, a a true black fan can't really like music which differs
greatly from that genre.

Dont you have more options? I find it impossible to just like only one genre. I like heavy, thrash, death, doom, metal-core, almost every metal sub-genre, because there is always something good in one of them.

Necro Joe said:
CoB suck harder than any other 'big name' metal band I can think of and Mastodon utterly rule, both live and on record. You guys fail.

Hmmmmm, I thought Mastodon were an obscenely average outfit. The initial post confirmed one thing though: Slayer, however much their latter records have sucked, continue to perform admirably in the live setting.