Were Don Walker and Steve Prestwich overlooked?

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
When the majority of people think about Cold Chisel, they really think of Barnes and Moss..... But gee, between Walker and Prestwich, there are so many great songs... and they probably wrote the majority of the big ones (Even 'My Baby' was a Phil Small song....).

A bit off topic thread really... Just been spinning some Chisel lately and reading the liner notes on who wrote what etc.

Ian Moss is a fantastic talent and Bow River is one of my favorites, but his input was nowhere near as high as I just naturally assumed.

How the hell does a drummer come up with the chords and melodies for songs like When the War is Over, Flame Trees and Forever Now?

Chisel were so much more than a pub rock band that they are classed as I reckon.

Another convert to my religion! :lol:

I'm not sure if I would say they were "overlooked" per se, but when you've got Jimmy Barnes in your band it's easy to get pushed to the side. Walker wrote everything on the first two albums and about half of everything else and has long been acclaimed as one of the country's best songwriters. And Prestwich, man, he had such a knack for pop... it must have been hanging around with his dad at all those Merseyside gigs in the early 60s. People always make the assumption that the singers are the main writers. They were more than a pub rock too, they pretty much transcended every other band at the time.

Yeah, I know Don Walker is highly acclaimed within the music community.

But if you ask the average dude on the street who he was, they wouldnt know.... Yet, if you asked who Ian Moss or Jimmy Barnes were they would tell you that they were from Cold Chisel.

Didn't Walker even write one of Moss's big solo hits (was it Telephone Booth or Tuckers Daughter?).

Do you have a favorite Chisel song Gore?

That's true. Most people wouldn't know who was in Midnight Oil except Peter Garrett. Walker wrote "Tucker's Daughter" for Moss and "Stone Cold" for Barnes. ALso remember that Barnes and Moss had big solo careers after Chisel and none of the others did.

My favourite Chisel song changes now and then, but I'd say it's either "When the War is Over" or "Star Hotel".

Don Walker didn't need a solo career. He would have made a truckload from his songwriting. Didn't he write like half of the songs on Slim Dusty's last album?

I was rasied on Chisel. Absolute total fan.

Fav song is probably Flame Trees but am a massive fan of Home and Broken Hearted, When the War is Over and Star Hotel...and everything else hah.

mmm mes home today again might give the might chisel a spin today ....my fave are Shipping Steel, goodbye Astrid, and standing on the Outside

Standing on the Outside is great.
One of my favorite Chisel moments is after the bridge leading into the solo.
'Find my way, to freeeedooooooom' and then moss kinda mimics barnes vocal waivering at the end.... Fuckin great.