Great, overlooked songs

wjones1

New Metal Member
Jan 29, 2006
I know Michael is obsessed with When and plays it at almost every show, however i cant see the real appeal of it :S maybe im being blind but its just not an attractive song and the riffs aren't catchy. I was being very ambitious but i hoped they would play April Ethereal instead, that song live would be incredible - have they ever played it? because i never seen it included on any set list i've seen for Opeth.
Does anyone else like Credence? i think its a fantastic song that gets overlooked too much; if any Opeth fan wanted to prove how good Michael's voice is without putting non-metal fans off by playing heavy songs, i would show anyone credence. The Riff fading out is fantastic. I would love to have seen this live as well, but they played soft songs like To Rid The Disease and Face Of Melinda which were great anyway.
The Drapery Falls played live is one of the best songs i've ever heard - almost rivals Enemy Within by Arch Enemy.
Tunes like Hope Leaves and Closure are such good songs yet they're never included in the most popular Opeth songs. Why!?!? because too many gays tend to unfortunately drift towards the more mainstream and popular albums like BWP.. surely anyone else must agree, i must have evoked some form of reaction amongst the more intellectual fans

Thing is 'Mikael' never used to play when. In september it was the first time they had ever played it in England. But i do agree with you to an extent. But i mean, for years, they have been playing the drapery falls at most shows and deliverance too. And of course demon of the fall.

affinityband said:
Thing is 'Mikael' never used to play when. In september it was the first time they had ever played it in England. But i do agree with you to an extent. But i mean, for years, they have been playing the drapery falls at most shows and deliverance too. And of course demon of the fall.

since ive looked at opeth set lists when does appear more often that not and they played it at both gigs in london in late 05. did u go?
How come he has started playing it now, just for variation or he's just realised that he likes it ?

I disagree, but if you want an intelligent response you could look elsewhere. :) (My I.Q. is 147 but I'm just a very lazy person)

- I'm lazy and don't want to put in my sig because it takes too long to put it in, but if you're reading this you might realize that this actually took longer to type than the sig itself!

When is not played all that frequently, not until this tour anyway. It wasn't played on the last Australian tour (to my knowledge). April Ethereal was, though, and it was great.

affinityband said:
I think 'Mikael' is code for 'Opeth'. You know... because Mikael practically plays the drums, bass, keyboards, rythym guitars, lead guitars and vocals at the same time.

Hahaha it annoyed me that it was saying, 'michael'(spelling, come on now. your not a true fanboy till you know Mikes name is spelt with a K) Was making all the decisions about what they were gunna play. Hence the quotation marks.

THey played April Ethereal on the Lamentations Tour (after the DVD came out) yes it was amazing live.

They started playing When on the Ghost Reveries Tours, this is the first time they have ever played it. And the fan response was very good, so I woudlnt' doubt if they keep it in the setlist for a little bit.