Your Favorite Opeth Songs

there have been a few threads on this. one of the things i like about opeth is that everyone likes different songs for different reasons. a look at the other threads shows no general consensus

i think its because the fanbase has such a wide variety of taste in music. you have the real metalheads, the prog heads, classical fans, jazz... heaps of tastes.

I agree, I'm personaly a big death metal fan, the original death metal, bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide, etc are my favorite and I love Opeth. In the other hand, my mate is into classic and progressive rock and he is a big opeth fan too. Its quite interseting cause it rarely happenes in other cases.

I've been listening to Death Metal all my life and then i discovered prog metal which blew me away, but with Opeth, i guess it was the change of vocals from growls to normal singing which captured my heart (oh that sounds so lovey dovey). I mean i was listening to Amorphis (Elegy) much earlier but M's vocals were different. There was just something about it. (Still Life was the first Opeth album i bought).

Also, being a guitarist, i really dug their acoustic breaks and jazzy riffs. Not your everyday power riff metal moshing music....well not for me at least.

That would be me... here are the final results:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223533

Rahan did one before this one and the Moor won also. There have also been several favorite album threads. Still Life and MAYH usually blow away the competition.

I have to disagree with the most over rated songes mentioned there. The moor as number 1!!!!! Definitly not for me, and Advent as number 15, fucking hell!!!:OMG:
For me number 1 is Godhead's Lament (from the progressive point of view), i think its the most progressive song ive ever heared. As a Death Metal fan I love the Into the Forest of Winter.
I think opeth has different meaning for different people, the reason i love them is because their stuff take me somewhere else which ive naver been taken that far by other songs from other bands. (I hope it makes sense as its quite hard to write that kind of feelings in terms of words).

Well, as we've seen many times before, no poll can make everyone happy. There were a lot of close contests in this poll - some could have gone either way if one vote had changed. So, I wouldn't put too much energy into interpreting the results. It's just for fun.

I agree that Godhead's Lament is a better song than The Moor.

I can't really pick a top 3. Maybe a top 5. I dunno. Top 3 would be like...Face of Melinda....The Moor....The Leper Affinity. Or maybe Godhead's Lament instead of TLA. Or BRI if my mood is right. I can't pick.

Thought I'd post to show my excellent Opatar!

Deliverance
Drapery Falls
Serenity Painted Death...and about 20 others.

:OMG: Holy fucking shit...I have this sudden urge all of the sudden after reading this thread - to do yet ANOTHER one. The end all, be all of all Opeth threads. I'll be the third person compiling the BEST OPETH song list, haha. The right way.

Man, if anyone thinks this is a great idea, I'd fucking do it because I have a GREAT system.

Here's the idea;

Everyone posts their top 10 opeth songs (or top 20 even so more songs are included.) And this WILL NOT be a poll - but more along the lines of a POINT system. For every FIRST PLACE song in a members' list, that song will earn 20 points (within a top 20), second place =19 points, third place=18 points and so on and son, you get the idea until last place gets 1 point.

At the end of the day, when all the top "whatever" lists are in EVERY song will be tallied up based on this point system and then ALL the songs can be ranked from FAVOURITE song on the board to LEAST FAVE song on the board.

No doubt a database will be needed for this, but man...this would FUCKING rule and I'd KILL to see the end results.

Any feedback to this?