Deliverance was my First Opeth album...now where to go?

MetalDan

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2002
West Lafayette, IN
Visit site
Man, this CD incredible and unreal to say the least and it seems that most of the true Opeth fans don't like it. Opeth might actually be among my 3 favorite bands now without even hearing their other stuff. I'm thinking Blackwater Park... any other suggestions?

Originally posted by MetalDan
Man, this CD incredible and unreal to say the least and it seems that most of the true Opeth fans don't like it. Opeth might actually be among my 3 favorite bands now without even hearing their other stuff. I'm thinking Blackwater Park... any other suggestions?

People are going to tell you alot of answers, but here's how it is:

Every CD is different from each other in lots of subtle ways, from production and lyrics to instrumentation and lyrical content, and all of them are GREAT. So really, it doesn't matter which one you pick cause once you like one album, you'll probably like all of them eventually once you listen to them all enough.

Happy hunting.

I'd say your best bet would be Blackwater Park as it, to me, seems the closest in relation to Deliverance. I agree with Mr. Niel though; they all are different.

And for the record, I love deliverance.

I'd suggest you try Still Life, because in my opinion it has the best mix of heaviness of acoustics. If you listen to MAYH and Deliverance you'll probably get the wrong idea about the band as they're not that heavy on any other CD.

MAYH is a good choice though, it's my favourite Opeth album.

Let's see: MAYH is definitely heaviest, and seems most analagous to Deliverance than any of their other albums. Still Life and Blackwater Park are more melodic and easy to get into, but have plenty to keep you interested for years to come. Orchid and Morningrise have a sort of less-refinied medieval sound to them that Opeth somehow lost with MAYH.

So the answer is: All of them! Buy buy buy their old records!

Any choice you make you will not regret in the least degree. They are all somewhat similar (they are all Opeth cd's after all) but also they are all they're own entities. Think of each cd a different project. Somewhat different theme, somewhat different mood, and different sound really.

Once you know all of them by heart you would be able to recognize which cd a certain passage comes from after 5 seconds of listening.

Whichever CD you happen to pick up, make sure to give it time. Let it sink in. Opeth grows on you, like fine wine.

Sfarog

oh. and by the way, I do not agree with the opinion that most older Opeth fans Dont like deliverance. I am willing to put my money on this: most opeth fans love Deliverance.

Honestly, go backwards. Dont listen to these people. My Arms Your Hearse is the hardest record to get into, I still haven't all the way.

Blackwater Park, then Still Life.

Either way, you'll most likely end up with all of em. :p

Morningrise is like so over rated ,and I do not recommend it for anyone that is just trying to get into the band. Esp after hearing Delieverance......

You're not seriously suggesting that Deliverance is better than Morningrise are you?

Originally posted by MetalDan

i'd say blackwater park.. then my arms your hearse, morningrise, still life, orchid.

Work your way backwards. Get Blackwater Park and then Still Life and then My Arms, Your Hearse and so on.

Still Life is my favourite by far though, and I haven't heard Deliverance in its entirity yet. I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

NP: Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black