Deliverance was my First Opeth album...now where to go?

No, basically because Morningrise sounds nothing like Deliverance (thank God)

morningrise is a good record ,but some of you people really need to get over it already.

Besides My Arms, Your Hearse kicks the bloody hell out of it!

:mad:

Lets hope this goes no further in the way of "this album is better than this one, how can you like that one better?"

All Opeth albums will totally blow you away. Everyone on this forums has their own opinions. In my opinion I would actually say work forward. IMO Orchid and Morningrise are the best Opeth works. But do for sure pick up any Opeth album, youll thank yourself later.

Morningrise - BWP do totally blow me away. Orchid and Deliverance just kinda shift me slightly to the left. (in my oh so humble opinion). but getting back to the actual topic, if you got deliverance first, get the rest of the albums in any order you want. My own pattern wasn't planned out, I just found that every time I got a new Opeth album I had to have another one. I'm a junkie, a filthy opeth-junkie. where's my damn cigarettes. oh god, i'm rambling, where's my tourniquette

Go for variety. You got some new Opeth, now try out some old Opeth. Pick up Orchid or Morningrise and get the feel for what they were like. Make a choice based on that.

If you're mature enough about listening to it, then you should be able to appreciate all angles of Opeth's music.

From there, decide if you prefer the more rhythm-lead structure, or the twin lead structure (which has made a few comebacks since its departure).. They're both very strong, but the result ends up very different every time.

:lol: @ Light

If you base your reason for liking Opeth on Deliverance, then you like an album that was meant to be extremely heavy. My Arms, Your Hearse is meaty too. It was the first death vocals I'd ever heard and I was overwhelmed with satisfaction. I was a fan by Madrigal. So, it went over pretty well to say the least. The album has a lot of variety in rhythm without loosing solidity.

I really suggest that one next, but you can always do what I wished I had. Started at the beginning. See how they changed into what you like - Deliverance. Maybe some nice being would be willing to make you a compilation. Or you can download songs from each album and decide for yourself what you'll crave. :)

If I were you.
Here's what I wouldn't do:

1.) Buy more than 1 album at a time.
2.) Start with BWP.
3.) Think that all Opeth albums are like Deliverance (in actuality they are all probably better)... I love them all and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Here's what I would do:

1.) Prepare to devote a lot of time listening to each album before buying another one... plan 1 month for each before moving on. I realize this seems extreme, however, I think it's well worth it. You'll get a much better feeling for the band than most of the fans who jumped on the bandwagon after BWP and bought all the albums at one time.
2.) Don't start with BWP. If you do, odds are you won't appreciate the earlier offerings as much. BWP is very good with fantastic production and overall the songs are incredibly rich. The earlier stuff isn't quite like it, however the earlier stuff is actually more interesting (at least to me). It's kind of like comparing 80's metal and progressive-70's rock... both are good, however, the 70's stuff requires more listening to really get a feel for it.
3.) Here's the order I would do and why:
A. Morningrise - Simply because it's the hardest Opeth album to really get into. However, it's also the best once you do.
Really fantastic acoustic melodies and classic riffs that are the best Opeth has done..
B. MAYH - this will give you a feel for Opeth at their heaviest. Sort of like Deliverance, except way colder and I feel I should almost say, it's a more serious effort on the part of Mike and crew... wonderful vocals all around on this one!
C. toss up between Still Life and Orchid - if you really love Morningrise, then get Orchid... otherwise get Still Life - Still Life tells an awesome story (concept cd, so is MAYH btw...). On SL, Opeth puts it all together, beautiful arrangements, fantastic lyrics, Mike's voice is at it's very best and the production is the best of any Opeth cd. Yes, I love Still Life...
D. BWP - sort of like Still Life... some really fantastic parts to the album, however there are also some very boring parts as well...
a great album nonetheless, but the last one you should get.

Well, that's my opinion anyway... there are a lot of other good ideas here as well. Good luck. Enjoy!

i dunno, i bought Still Life, Orchid, and Blackwater Park all at once and the only side effect I had was I was able to avoid buying any new music for a month or so. usually i go crazy without a new cd every couple of weeks at the most. my advice would be - get anything, it doesn't matter, you'll like it all, just go get it.

I bought MAYH and Still Life at the same time, as well as Morningrise and Orchid (though I already had most of those two). It only makes it twice as good. I'd recommend going backwards also.