What are you listening to?

Threshold - Dead Reckoning: the first listening session showed thar:
- Threshold reinvented their own sound
- This album is heavier, darker, a bit less progressive and with diversified songwriting: this time noone can say they repeat themselves!
- This is going to be among my fave Threshold albums!
- Songs that stick to your head ah the first spinning: Slipstream, This Is Your Life, Pilot In The Sky, Fighting For Breath.
- There is not a proper ballad! :eek: The only Safe To Fly is close to the concept of power ballad.

Threshold - Dead Reckoning: the first listening session showed thar:
[...] a bit less progressive [...]

Bah! ;)
But well, I liked Slipstream and Pilot so far and it's Threshold, so it can't be bad!
I guess I'm just a bit annoyed with the tendency of prog bands to get less proggy so they can reach a wider audience.

Bands need to start earning more money as they get older you know, they start having families etc kids at university (possibly?!)

I don't mind about the mainstreaming, I think it fills out their catalogue in a different manner. I was quite happy that DT did Octavarium, even though it would be brilliant to have another I&W, just a relaxtion, easy to listen to music, which is sometimes good.

Not that this reflects on Threshold's new direction anyway....

Trivium - The Crusade

Saw them supporting Maiden and they were one of the best supports I've seen (despite the cheesy Americanisms) rivalling Halford and Dirty Deeds for that title.

Planning to see them on their own mini tour in April so thought I'd better get in the mood

I also saw them in Cardiff in December supporting Maiden, and was blown away therefore buying The Crusade. They have been my surprise find lately, although I've yet to buy their first 2 albums yet which I understand is a little different moreso in the vocal dept. I'll also be seeing them in April at the Newport Centre on the 22nd. :headbang:

I don't care what the purists say, they are a quality thrash metal band (at least on The Crusade) in the vein of early Metallica and Testament. :kickass:

Now playing: King's X - S/T

The Crusade is much more commercial - the first album has some great melodies amongst the growls and is fairly raw. The second album is a lot heavier and I hated it when I first heard it. Then it grew on me!!

The Crusade has many more references to yesteryear and I picked up Anthrax and even some Maiden too.

The Crusade is much more commercial - the first album has some great melodies amongst the growls and is fairly raw. The second album is a lot heavier and I hated it when I first heard it. Then it grew on me!!

So which of the first 2 do you prefer?

I also picked up on Def Leppard (Lady Strange from High N Dry) on The World Can't Tear Us Apart (The Crusade). This is mostly in the vocal melodies of the verses.

To progmetal god

Overall Ember is my fave although one or two tracks on Ascendancy really hit the mark. I was pleased that they dropped the extreme vocals from the bassist as it all feels a little ott (maybe I'm just getting old!)

Pink Floyd - Eclipse

To match this evening's moon eclipse, of course! :D

2ibp4xi.jpg

yet another day

listening to :worship: Timo Kotipelto - Coldness
can't wait for his new album 'Serenity' in April

I think a live DVD is long overdue from Stratovarius

Vitalij Kuprij - Glacial Inferno

Keyboard-virtuoso, this is his newest (instrumental) album. If you order the limited edition, it comes with the earlier album Revenge (with vocals).
If you like Symphony X, you will love this!