What are you listening to?

Moonspell. Got The Great Silver Eye for cheap years ago at CM Distro and just did not click at the time. Giving it another chance what with them being on the Amo/Tranquillity tour. Liking them much better now that I'm approaching them from the direction of Fields of the Nephilim rather than early Paradise Lost.

Also listening to Kaunan. Hurdy gurdy, man. It's my musical instrument soul animal.

Reactions: Brell
Barren Earth - A Complex of Cages

Like it better than On Lonely Towers, which, despite it's quality, never quite gelled for me. This one feels more relaxed (for lack of a better word). Think Jon has settled into his role.

The new Rivers of Nihil is pretty top-notch. They have set out into more jazz-prog experimentation that puts them in company with Ihsahn and Intronaut. Pretty good company to keep, if you ask me.

I've known about Panopticon for a while, but none of their releases to-date had grabbed me hard enough to get my attention. Until now...

Double album - one focused on atmospheric black metal, the other on American roots/folk music. Sort of a Deliverance/Damnation approach, but from a black metal/post-rock direction rather than a death metal/prog direction.

Two hours well spent.

Reactions: papajohnny
I've known about Panopticon for a while, but none of their releases to-date had grabbed me hard enough to get my attention. Until now...

Double album - one focused on atmospheric black metal, the other on American roots/folk music. Sort of a Deliverance/Damnation approach, but from a black metal/post-rock direction rather than a death metal/prog direction.

Two hours well spent.

I like the folk part way more than the black metal one, but overall it was an enjoyable experience.

It's the combination, really, for me. His atmospheric RABM is just melodic enough to keep me from tuning out and the roots Americana give it depth and identity.

'Bout damn time.

Omnium Gatherum for me right now.

Oh, and on our recent drive from California to Colorado we listened to the entire Amorphis discography (well, all but the live stuff and Disment/Privilege) in chronological order. CA to CO is Karelian through Circle.

Oh, and on our recent drive from California to Colorado we listened to the entire Amorphis discography (well, all but the live stuff and Disment/Privilege) in chronological order. CA to CO is Karelian through Circle.

That's a great way to measure distance! "Yeah, you're gonna drive down highway 94 for Karelian through Elegy, take the exit during "The Way", then make a left during Perkele (The God Of Fire). You'll arrive at your destination when you get to Course Of Fate.

Reactions: Eurynome
That's a great way to measure distance! "Yeah, you're gonna drive down highway 94 for Karelian through Elegy, take the exit during "The Way", then make a left during Perkele (The God Of Fire). You'll arrive at your destination when you get to Course Of Fate.

Yeah, right up until typical LA traffic madness turns what should have been the Black Winter Day exit into Weeper on the Shore.