What are you listening to today?

The Hunter was reissued??? Where can I buy??????

Maybe we're just too old and seasoned, but I can understand how newbs or fans of nu-metal can mistake Jens and Hansi's voice. I'm like you, I can pick out the subtle differences that make them each unique.

I also tend to like Jens grittier sound over Hansi's. Hell, Jens is only 33 while Hansi is pushing 50. Maybe when Jens gets to that point, he'll sound like Hansi now! Who knows. They're both awesome vocalists.

Side note: Heh! If Jon wanted to make some more money he could be pumping out D&W albums with Jens on vox while waiting for Hansi's schedule to free up some time to record. Most fans would probably never know the difference.

The Hunter was reissued??? Where can I buy??????

I bought my copy (should be arriving tomorrow) from Amazon. It was sold from export sales, so it took a little while to get to this point. A truly underrated gem. :D Glad it didn't take One Lifetime *cough* to finally order it. If Amazon Canada doesn't have it, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QEILRY/ref=shptrk_scth"]Check here.[/ame]

Side note: Heh! If Jon wanted to make some more money he could be pumping out D&W albums with Jens on vox while waiting for Hansi's schedule to free up some time to record. Most fans would probably never know the difference.
Hells yuh! Demons & Heathens! :kickass:
"Power and might to us all and fuck your motherfuckin' couch!"

Ooooh! It just arrived today! Will be blasting it relatively soon. I thought it was from Dockyard1 but this is from Locomotive. Didn't they go bust?

I've been in "fuck it" mode for quite a while now. After Iced Earth and Persuader* (*of whom I've tragically become very bored and sick of by now... maybe The Hunter is just too fucking perfect to amount to. Sorry fellas... I tried and tried...), there really hasn't been any bands I've noticed anywhere after purchasing those albums.

My sources are a fucking joke. There's NEH Records, which is nothing if not a site that primarily features AOR. I don't really know of any sites that give a good glimpse into the prog/power/thrash/whatever types of genres with samples.

So, "fuck it". I went and ordered an album with some songs I enjoyed many years ago yet never bought: Black Comedy - Instigator. I'd say it was a 30% impulsive purchase, but the way I see it, it was inevitable. Love the lyrics, especially "Sum of All Shit"! A little heavy on the synth, but Stratovarius got away with it so why not these dudes? Fuck it! :D

They remind me of a Fear Factory/Strapping Young Lad/Raunchy hybrid, sadly they've been split up since said album. Not what I would consider my main genre of interest, but I'm... I'm confused. :(

Times like this I almost wish I knew how to play a violin. :erk:

Fuck it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVeuT-tHS2Q

Im in the same sort of "fuck it" mode too. Been listening to a compilation of Celtic and epic score pieces mainly Von Ziegler and others alike. This stuff is good (sometimes- in doses lol), but man i need me some new Pyramaze!

Hey guys! Same here, I'm really tired of waiting by now too... Any news would be good news I guess. Not knowing anything sucks...

Who is the new singer? How far is the recording done? The production? When will the new album ever see the light of day???

Maybe a short video of some recording sessions would be nice, even if it's only one riff, a solo, anything to get just a little glimpse of what's to come...

In the meantime I discovered Be'lakor, actually a Death Metal band, but the growling is not too extreme and they have tons of great melodies. I know I'm really in the mood for this kind of metal these days but last time I was blown away that seriously was 6 years ago when I discovered Tad Morose (and Pyramaze a bit earlier).

If you'd like to check it out:

Be'lakor - Abeyance

:kickass:

Funny you mention that...I recently discovered them too. Be'lakor has some very epic / intriguing moments, but i need to delve more and not sure if i like that all their tunes seem to be 10' at length. Doesnt mean its all bad.

I guess in the same, id rec Suidakra and and just revisted Svartsot. The previews of the new Svartsot has me really amped...due out this summer. Kings of Asgard and Mooncry are two others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WI06M64HhEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VoMkZZsIJvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lFwgbDOUDRk

La la la... *removes his space-saving basket of crickets and brushes the tumbleweeds away*

Today it's another band from Australia. Teramaze! (yes, I know...) Guess the band name stood out somehow. :err:

I'm still in the 'taking in' phase, since I only discovered them about 20 minutes ago, perhaps a few albums late but vastly preferable to never. I've only checked out their latest release so far, Esoteric Symbolism.

It's pretty fucking long, too - 79 minutes! So far, I'm really digging it, mild personal skepticism aside. I'm such a picky bastard.

Esoteric Symbolism

Punishment by Design

I've gotten emails from Nightmare Records in the past advertising for those guys and the clips I had heard really didnt do much for me, so I never really gave them any attention. Thanks Korruption! Digging their older material that I've found on youtube. Still not 100% sold on Esoteric Symbolism though.

I've recently rediscovered my passion for Scandinavian melodic death metal with Insomnium and Amon Amarth jumping to the top of the pile. While I've been a fan of Insomnium since In the Halls of Awaiting, I was so stretched out over the amount of music I own that I wasn't able to give them their due. One for Sorrow was outstanding and I am eagerly awaiting Shadows of a Dying Sun.

Amon Amarth on the other hand, I had know of but never really listened to with the exception of Twilight of the Thundergod, as Sabaton had covered it on their last album and the random clips that Muzmaze would post. I've now ordered most of their discography with Surtur Rising and the box set of Deceiver of the Gods arriving the other day. Still awaiting Fate of Norns (2 disc/split), Once Sent from the Golden Halls (2 disc reissue), With Oden on Our Side and Twilight of the Thunder God.

And a side note: Arch Enemy - War Eternal - I'm eagerly awaiting this record featuring new lead singer Alissa White-Gluz from Montreal based The Agonist. The first single, War Eternal is pretty good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost passed on them but thanks largely to the unique vocals, it was easier to give some songs a few more shots.

Too bad I didn't have the same end results with ReinXeed, as the vocals are pretty good but most of the problem is all their/his songs sound too identical and there doesn't seem to be much subtlety in his music. Sometimes less is more. :D

Burnt and Korr, nice to see you guys delving into some of the stuff ive been passionate about for a while now. I always value and look out for your rec.'s as well and glad youre also keeping things somewhat alive around here ; ). Never thought id get into a band like AA but sumn about them as youve noticed and touched upon Burnt. I usually dont like growly vocals and much of the melo-death stuff just sounds boringly the same. AA is unique and more appealing imo...and of course Insomnium is simply better than others in their own genre etc. Tyr is right up there along with Pyramaze and AA for me. Tyr has somewhat a mix of the two bands but with content more like AA, but a more progressive style (than AA) and amazing clean vocals. Both Tyr and AA's early releases dont really do too much for me, its their mid to latter part of their music / releases that really bounds forward imo. Been lucky enough to see both bands perform live and they both deliver and impress even more.

Thank you sir. I think we're the people who occasionally go to an abandoned warehouse to sweep the floor every few days just cause we can. :D

After getting the Teramaze CD, I was very happy with a few more songs while some others either didn't do a whole lot for me, or I need to take them in a lot more. Two more of my personal stand-out tracks are Parallels / Dual Reality and The Divulgence Act. On my first listen, I sorta passed over them since I was watching TAS videos at the same time, but another listen and I was hooked. I guess diverting my attention even a little was greatly divisive to the prog-listening-to experience. :erk: