What are you listening to today?

Hmm, I like the video more than I like the song. Lyrics and vocals are very "meh" to me. I'm gonna see them here in January, will see how it comes across live. I liked their previous album beter live than I did on CD as well...

I bought the first two ages ago before they became free. Hanging out for this new album. I hope on average the songs are heavier, songs like good of war kick arse.

This album is supposed to be heavier and darker. It'll also be released for digital download tomorrow. I hope the two songs (Burn the Sky and Morning Light Mountain) haven't changed too much from the preview version, especially Morning Light Mountain. But if they have, then no biggy - as long as they're somehow better. :D:popcorn:

Some songs from Outworld. Up to now, the album has been very hard to find. But I finally came across some sellers on Amazon, so I ordered it up. Never thought the day would come. :D

Edit: It only took around 7 years before I had a hope of ordering it anywhere.

A huge thanks to Rebel Tide Records for re-issuing this beast! :hotjump:

Did you know they have a second album (albeit unreleased)? I have it courtesy of Carlos Zema, Kelly Sundown Carpenter's successor :yow:

Did you know they have a second album (albeit unreleased)? I have it courtesy of Carlos Zema, Kelly Sundown Carpenter's successor :yow:

I believe I did not, good sir. Is it available anywhere or did you luck out?

As for my listening habits today... KELDIAN - OUTBOUND!!!
*ahem* It's been released online. :D With the initial geekasm for the novelty out of the way; some songs are good, some are godly, and some I don't really fancy a whole lot. Still eagerly awaiting whenever the physical CD arrives though.

Kepler and 100,000 Stars

Morning Light Mountain

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I did not, good sir. Is it available anywhere or did you luck out?

Well seeing as I got it directly from someone in the band, I'm guessing I lucked out! Maybe if you're nice you'll get something in your Christmas mail!:devil:

Also, on an unrelated note, one of the other two songs off Iced Earth's Plagues of Babylon EP has surfaced courtesy of Youtube and a fan kind enough to post live video of the track "If I Could See You", a pretty solid power ballad

I knew Carlos joined in, heard his take on a cpl of tunes a while back and then lost track and interest.

Speaking of losing interest.
Im glad that some here are keeping this site somewhat alive. I recently just discovered that Morton Gade is now playing his epic drums for Anubis Gate...had no idea that he is in and Jacobs been out of AG since '11. Would like to think both of thier efforts are focused on the new Pyramaze cd (maybe they are) but who the fuck knows? BE NICE TO KNOW WTFs going on!? For us patient diehard Pyrawarriors it would be nice to get some sort of updates here on the actual forum (like the bands drummer is actually playing IN ANOTHER BAND), since i stay completely away from drama.com half ass news on FB. ; )

Anyhow.
Listening to a Dream Evil comp...cpl of great tracks here-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xaQKMXE7F4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFD1SXj0xs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Speaking of losing interest.
Im glad that some here are keeping this site somewhat alive.

Hey, that's how we do! :D

So now I'm listening to Vicinity, another Norwegian band. I haven't heard much of their stuff yet but holy shit this is some melodic proggy goodness! :popcorn:

But don't take my word for it...

Re-edit:
Vicinity - Walk all the Way (no thanks to Google+ forcing the worst of fuck-ups on YouTube to date...)

The Johnny Cash cover of Highwayman by Iced Earth featuring Russel Allen and Michael Poulsen

FUCKING AWESOME! PIRATES! ARRRRRGH!!!!:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Yes yes quite, ol' chap! I really dig the album but c'mon... The Schaffer Riff™ again?! I gotta say, though - this is definitely Stu's album! He's more subdued and I think it really works in his favour moreso this time around.

I also got Persuader - The Fiction Maze and uh... Ok, see... I really envy the shit out of people who think this album is the epitome of perfection, and I want to be among those adoring masses. I'm just not as into it as I hoped I would be. Maybe a few thousand more spins and something will stand out, other than the rather calm, atmospheric verses to "Heathen." :err:

But at least it's not as bland and purposeless as both Savage Circus albums. :yell:

Yes yes quite, ol' chap! I really dig the album but c'mon... The Schaffer Riff™ again?!

Say what you want to man, but you gotta admit the guy has built himself an empire and legendary band, 11 studio albums and rabid fan base off that riff. Not many musicians can claim that. Takes quite a bit of skill to develop 11 albums worth of material based off that single Maiden-esque riff.

Say what you want to man, but you gotta admit the guy has built himself an empire and legendary band, 11 studio albums and rabid fan base off that riff. Not many musicians can claim that. Takes quite a bit of skill to develop 11 albums worth of material based off that single Maiden-esque riff.

The comment you addressed was very tongue-in-cheek. Of course I respect Schaffer and all he and his revolving door of bandmates have brought forth, why in the hell would I have bought almost the entire IE catalog (minus some live albums, Tribute to the Gods, EPs etc.) if I didn't? :D

By the by--just out of curiosity--was Burnt Offerings the first album that made you a fan as it did with me?

It was actually the second IE album I bought (NotS was the first in 92), but it was the first to cement my position as a fan (I am NOT a fan of Gene Adams and John Greelys vocals though so Days of Purgatory was a god-send when it came out)

And man, that revolving door finally seems to have stabilized (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jon Dette stays around). Its kinda interesting though looking at the lineup right now. It almost seems like Jon is almost hiring young guys now who will have longevity in the band and have the talent and skill set to carry the IE banner after he's gone. Never before in history has he allowed as much creative input and control since Stu came on board and Jon's singing the praises of both Stu and Luke. Troy's guitar playing and character has finally come into his own, and now he has a seasoned vet in Jon Dette.

I had feelings about that matter too. Especially when watching the 'Making of...' DVD that came in the box set for some reason. I just hope it's a looong damn time until that day arrives.

I also hope it's a long time before they have to deal with any more line-up changes. For Jon to keep the machine rolling from the beginning to now, clearly says "this man is not someone who fucks around." :loco:

Just like with Stu, my first purchase was Burnt Offerings. Followed very closely with Horror Show as it was just a month away from release at the time.

On a closing note, it's amazing that Jon produced this album as well as he did, being that it's the first IE album (that I know of, anyway) that wasn't produced by either Jim or Tom Morris with Jon co-producing. :headbang:

I attempted (in vain) to bear Iron Savior's atrocity of Burning Heart, a new video from their upcoming album. I lasted almost 2 minutes.

I don't think they've done anything original or even worth a shit since Condition Red. I enjoyed everything they've done up to that album to some capacity, but they've just regurgitated the same stock power shit over and over again and it doesn't seem likely to stop.

Making new versions of classic songs from a time when I could actually stand their music isn't helping shit either. :puke:

Other than having a slightly odd name aside, I should LOVE this band. If you havent heard of them, don't worry, I don't think anyone else has either. One Machine consists of:

Lead/Rhythm Guitars: Steve Smyth (ex-Testament, ex-Nevermore, Forbidden, Dragonlord, Vicious Rumors)
Vocals: Mikkel Sandager Pedersen (ex-Mercenary)
Lead/Rhythm Guitars: Jamie Hunt (ex-Biomechanical)
Drums: Raphael Saini (ex-Iced Earth, Chaoswave)
Bass: Tomas “O’Beast” Koefoed (Mnemic)

While I love all these dudes other bands, this album sounds like a complete cacophony of sound that my highly sophisticated metal ears are having a hell of a time comprehending. Its like Biomechanical on steroids and off kilter. Mikkels vocal melodies often dont sync with the music. Maybe I just havent listened to the album enough, but man, it blows my mind. Take the track I have included below, it sounds like three different songs spliced together. Its just bizarre.

What do you think? (You as in whoever is reading this - I'm guessing either Korruption or Muzz ;) )

EDIT: @korruption - I am so FUCKING happy, that Jon ditched Morrisound finally. I'm personally loving the new sound. Its fatter, deeper and heavier. A lot of reviews I've read indicate that most people don't enjoy the second half of the album, for me personally, I love the second half of the album more than the first half. I'm tired of the Something Wicked story and its refreshing to have just stand alone songs a la Dystopia.

Hmm.... hmmmm....

Naw. Sounds like they know what the hell they're doing. Biomechanical went (perhaps too) all out on their final album, but I still got enjoyment out of it, not normally on full playthroughs. As for these guys, I was unable to make it through this one song. So I can't say that I'm into it.

Now, some of you know that I'm a huge fan of the now defunct Dark Empire, and in particular their first two albums featuring Jens Carlsson on vocals.

Now, years after his last album release with Dark Empire, Jens is back with the first Persuader album since When Eden Burns dropped 8 years ago.

p189r00lm3i919jq169n1aju1me34.jpg

The Fiction Maze is an album to be reckoned with. It, to my standards, is the standout album of the year so far and is absolutely :OMG: (jawdropping lol)

Check out the opening track below, entitled One Lifetime

Its just track after track of raw, epic, aggressive power that only Persuader can deliver. Jens voice sounds better than ever (and more Hansi then ever rofl) and I'm at an actual loss of word to describe the greatness of The Fiction Maze. Just, go buy this damned album. You won't regret it.

Edit: To say that Persuader has really put time into perfecting this album is a bit of an understatement. I just found this video of them performing the aforementioned "One Lifetime" live from the Sabaton Cruise in 2011! So this album has been in the works for at least 3-4 years if not longer given the 8 year span between this album and When Eden Burns.

For fans of Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Dark Empire, Savage Circus, Soilwork, In Flames, Nevermore, Mercenary

Yes I fancy The Fiction Maze also (it arrived on the same day as Plagues of Babylon oddly enough). I'm waiting for The Hunter to arrive in the mail, which I didn't realize was re-issued until a sad amount of years after.

I think Jens sounds similar to Hansi, but has a harsher, grittier edge to his voice which sounds better to me. Plus I like his occasional dabbling into death vocals. Also, as a very slight different trait: no lisp. So I think people blow it way out of proportion when they say the two vocalists sound exactly alike. But hey, that's a great style of singing, so more people doing it is all the better for us! :D

Edit: I had an upload of Heathen (my favourite song from the album) up on YouTube as well, but was politely asked to remove it by Ulterium. I hope some people noticed it and at least bought the track (if not the whole album) in the short amount of time it was up.