what are you reading?

I just finished a ridiculously good sci fi novel, Eifelheim, by Michael Flynn. Most of the story takes place in the Middle Ages, but part of the tale involves a present day historian and physicist who are both studying events related to the bulk of the story that is taking place in the past. As a historical novel dealing with the medieval period it is not as good as Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose, but Flynn manages to recreate the period in excellent detail. More importantly the characters are memorable.

Currently reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. Also historical, dealing with the doomed voyage of the Erebus and Terror during their attempt to forge the Northwest Passage two centuries ago. Of course being Simmons, he also throws a nasty arctic beast at the poor buggers, as if the pack ice and related conditions aren't enough!

Then I'll need to check that out. I've just picked Name of the Rose up again after losing it and it's as exciting as it's always been.

erm...... it's gets interesting but it is very annoying still. I don't know, a boy goes to a boarding school and goes off playing tricks and things and eventually grows into a man. The headmaster at the school is an actual one and he is an important character in it. There is a lot of criticism of changes in society, for example the construction of railways and the decling community erm strength or something like that. It goes way ott with the moralising though. Stoning chickens is ok but not getting confirmed is not. There is a bit were he is physically attracted to his friends mother, or at least that's part of it, anyway that was screwed. Healthy body + healthy mind = a good guy; that's a big point. Be a Christian. I do like the story it's just the language and the way the author keeps butting in and having a rant that are annoying. I have no interest in sport either, and that was a big deal in the book.

Fuck I remember reading that book for A Levels.
Tedious much? D:

I just got done with the George RR Martin's, "Song of Ice and Fire" trillogy and Robin Hobbs, "Farseer" trilogy. both were absolutly amazing!

i just picked up
"The Knight" by Gene Wolfe.

The George R.R. Martin books are not a trilogy, it's a series. There are four books published as of right now, and a fifth one is in the works. There are supposed to be seven total.

I'm reading Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series right now. I really want to try and get into R. Scott Bakker's 'Prince of Nothing' trilogy soon. I hear it's a really interesting read.

i havent read that yet but now i will but no im not in school anymore. I just love the book. I have a collection of almost 2000 books in my bedroom. This will be my 4th time reading it.

as far as skill, there are few others comparable to ketchum. the handful of his short stories that i've read are amazing. the only novels of his i've gotten through so far are off season (really good but not as violent as people made it out to be) and girl next door which gave me chills reading it. as much as i wanna see the movie, i don't think i could handle it.

my biggest complaint with ketchum is how ... detached his style is.

Ketchum is wonderful. For sheer content and fabric of storytelling he's almost unparalled in the genre.

I'm reading Bravo Two Zero because I'm absorbed in the SAS at the moment. I'm also reading, for work, several new and unpublished commentaries on Herodotus' Histories and some articles on the Roman novel by Panayotakis.

Vanity Fair - William Thackery

Vanity Fair is such a good book. In fact, I think I may have to read it again.

Reading my way through Jordan's Wheel of Time at the moment. Up to The Shadow Rising.. supposedly the best one.
Its kinda sad that the series will never be finished. Not in the way intended, at least. ;<