what band(s) first

Nightingale and Evergrey at PPII.

But also wanted to see Angel Dust and Kamelot (that was Kam's best show...last years wasn't that good..but I'm not a fan of Epica or Black Halo..)

I can't say for sure if I preferred PPII or PPIII. Both years were pretty magical experiences for me. Nightingale is a Top 5 band for me and I nearly shit myself when I saw that Swano was going to be here. I'm probably one of the only ones who had Nightingale as a draw to PP.

I had known about EG right as they released SDT and had never read about them on forums or anything. Just happened to download some of their stuff one day and was floored. So when I saw EG was playing too, I had to come.

As far as PP3, Blind Guardian was the biggest draw because they also sit in my Top 5. Gamma Ray and Edguy are in the Top 10 and were also huge draws for me. PP3's lineup was definately incredible.

Sadly, I'm not into Power metal as much as I was at the time, but its just a phase I'm sure. Savage Circus blew me away, so I think it's coming back for me again.

This year its Therion all the way. Have wanted to see them since PP2 (and before that). Stratovarius would've been nice to have at PP3 and while I'm very happy to get to see them, I think they would've been a stronger force in an earlier PP.

Also happy to see OL. Conception will be cool. I look forward to the event as a whole.

I wanted to see Symphony X at Chicago but the venue scared me away. When I heard Superior was coming over for PPII I was hooked immediately and have been coming back ever since.

Fortunately, Glenn brought Symphony X back a couple more times :headbang:

I can toss in another vote for Superior, although for me it was a little earlier: ProgPower 1999 in Europe. Superior, Lemur Voice, Mayadome, all were already known to me online, plus Pain of Salvation were also performing, so those were all draws.
My first overseas trip ever, I was only on Dutch soil for 26 hours, but it was worth every penny. It was one of the first times I ever used my then-new digital camera -- didn't even know how the crappy zoom feature worked. http://jet13.hasweb.com/~paulcas/progpowr/index.html

For PPUSA1 in Chicago, the draw for me was seeing PoS and Evergrey again, since it had only been a few months since I saw them in Europe. Symphony X was icing on the cake. It was also Glenn himself who 'triggered' my decision to come, since I already knew him from various seedy online prog- and power-metal hangouts. I thought he'd do a good job, I was right, and it's been a pleasure to be involved with the festival, first as a Gold Badge holder and then as a sponsor, ever since. :)

Wkdchylde said:
drove ya to attend progpower for the 1st time?

ProgPower I, and it was Pain of Salvation, Power of Omens, and Zero Hour. PoS blew me away, and both ZH and PoO were amazing. I hadn't really gotten into Symphony X at that point (had 2 discs, but hadn't listened to them much), but love 'em now.

I had barely heard of Evergrey at that point, and while I'm still not a *huge* fan, I like 'em enough that I have 3 discs and do listen occasionally. I was right up front for their set (mainly because PoS was next, and I was determined to get a good view of them), and got the full "hair stuck in the ceilng" view. Too funny... I was probably one of the few people close enough to see that there were also about a half-dozen of Tom's hairs that were stuck in the bass guitarist's headstock, in addition to the ones he left in the ceiling tiles.

Been to every ProgPower since, and I'll see ya in 3 weeks! :headbang:

Craig

sccaldwell said:
ProgPower I, and it was Pain of Salvation, Power of Omens, and Zero Hour. PoS blew me away, and both ZH and PoO were amazing. I hadn't really gotten into Symphony X at that point (had 2 discs, but hadn't listened to them much), but love 'em now.

that is cool. yeah those are great bands