What causes mixes to sound bad at high volumes?

I have plenty of cd's that sound great at uber loud volumes and at least an equal number of vinyl that doesn't. It's not black and white. You can have good and shitty sounding music on any medium.

Of course, those cds that sound great aren't smashed into a limiter. The mastering engineer of those albums chose a specific mastering style.

Everyone's just making fun of me cause i said it was capitalism and that sounds like a stupid thing to say so you're cherry picking all the funny sounding things I say and ignoring all the correct things I'm saying. Like a nice pack of internet forum monkeys scratching each others back. But I still stand by what I said.

Of course, those cds that sound great aren't smashed into a limiter. The mastering engineer of those albums chose a specific mastering style.

Like a nice pack of internet forum monkeys scratching each others back. But I still stand by what I said.

chill braaaahh
btw, whats this "specific mastering style" youre talking about? :err:

Ever been to a live gig? Ya know those things where rock stars are, and people are having fun. Where you have to scream to be understood because the music is so fucking loud. Those gigs are really high volumes and guess what........... lots of them sound good.

Maybe the Fletcher Munson curve goes on holidays when Dream Theater come into town, or maybe the people running the front of house actually know what they are doing. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's scientists in white lab coats fucking with your sound while your too busy admiring your fancy iphone to notice

Apart from the drums everything sounds pretty professional. The drums however... I think the snare is the biggest problem is this whole mix. It's simply too boomy and loud. Try to get a flat EQ curve on a octave based spectrum analyzer. Toms are quite loud and the kick is a death metal kick in a rock song. :) I like the song.