What did you think of the Some kind of monster documentary?

MrTagoMago

Jul 8, 2016
I just finished even though I started it a few days ago, but yeah I though I'd ask everyone's opinions on it. I know a lot of people find it funny because of James and Lars being bitches and Ofcourse I did too but it was kinda disturbing to see these grown men nearing 40 who came off more as angsty teenagers and think to myself yeah this is the most successful metal band in the world. Kirk was fine for the most part courselves I felt sorry for him and Bob Rock putting up with this shit. I loved the Jason Newstead segment I think he was spot on with what he said.

Yeah I know this documentary is like 12 years old but with the new album coming out I guess it's kind of relevant? Anyway what would you say was youre overall impression of James, Lars, Kirk, and Bob?

It's really bad and the band members look like fools in it.

I think that it was just discussed in another topic a few days ago and someone compared it to a real-life Spinal Tap film. I would agree with them.

^^ This documentary is over 10 years old. At the time it was released they were just barely passing 40.

It portrays them as a band so negatively that I really cant understand why they even felt the need to release it. This was more than just a band overcoming difficulties, it was a documentary that truly revealed Metallica as a money making machine rather than a group of musicians who are passionate about writing music.

They went into the recording studio with zero plans or direction. It was clear by their jamming sessions that none of the band members actually cared about making music, and basically just threw themselves into a situation that forced them to come up with half-baked ideas.

I can understand that James was going through addiction issues, but this documentary revealed that he had absolutely no passion for working with the band, and he tried to project this onto the other band members to make himself feel better. He barely wanted to work on the album, but when the other band members expressed interests in reviewing the material that they somehow came up with during their sessions, James was pissed that they couldnt work with his pathetically short schedule. When he finally came around to actually putting in an effort, everything he did was still terrible. Yet all of the band members and Bob seemed to just encourage him through sympathy so that James wouldnt storm out, cry like a bitch, or god forbid quit the band. It reminded me of the type of reinforcement parents give to their infant when they successfully go potty without a diaper.

As for Lars, his pedantic and annoying behavior became evident. You could actually consider him ambitious in comparison to James, but all he really did was whine and complain, and the selling off of all his artwork to start the next stage in life was somehow hilariously juvenile and stuck up rich man all at the same time. It's clear that his stupid obsession with abstract art (not saying abstract art is necessarily stupid) attributed to the fail that was St Anger's drum sound. He had very little ambition for the music itself, and seemed to just follow James' pathetic lead while complaining that James was a control freak. Betas shouldnt complain that alphas want too much control. Fucking chihuahua.

And Kirk, lol. All he wanted to do was write solos, but inevitably he failed in making a contribution. The guy just wants to chill and surf, you know? Out of all of the guys in the band, id actually like to hang out with him though. I bet any of the half decent ideas on this album were his contribution.

So in the end, what did they create? An album about being angry and frustrated with not being able to come up with any good ideas. A fully contrived effort of faux aggression that could only possibly appeal only superficially to aging producers and guys completely out of touch with metal. The band also seems equally out of touch. This is truly an album that failed on all levels. They went into the studio with open minds, intending to create something spontaneous, but all it turned out to be was contrived nonsense that was forcefully squeezed out of the band one drop at a time. The whole album and session should have been shelved, but this probably wasnt an option.

^^ This documentary is over 10 years old. At the time it was released they were just barely passing 40.

It portrays them as a band so negatively that I really cant understand why they even felt the need to release it. This was more than just a band overcoming difficulties, it was a documentary that truly revealed Metallica as a money making machine rather than a group of musicians who are passionate about writing music.

They went into the recording studio with zero plans or direction. It was clear by their jamming sessions that none of the band members actually cared about making music, and basically just threw themselves into a situation that forced them to come up with half-baked ideas.

I can understand that James was going through addiction issues, but this documentary revealed that he had absolutely no passion for working with the band, and he tried to project this onto the other band members to make himself feel better. He barely wanted to work on the album, but when the other band members expressed interests in reviewing the material that they somehow came up with during their sessions, James was pissed that they couldnt work with his pathetically short schedule. When he finally came around to actually putting in an effort, everything he did was still terrible. Yet all of the band members and Bob seemed to just encourage him through sympathy so that James wouldnt storm out, cry like a bitch, or god forbid quit the band. It reminded me of the type of reinforcement parents give to their infant when they successfully go potty without a diaper.

As for Lars, his pedantic and annoying behavior became evident. You could actually consider him ambitious in comparison to James, but all he really did was whine and complain, and the selling off of all his artwork to start the next stage in life was somehow hilariously juvenile and stuck up rich man all at the same time. It's clear that his stupid obsession with abstract art (not saying abstract art is necessarily stupid) attributed to the fail that was St Anger's drum sound. He had very little ambition for the music itself, and seemed to just follow James' pathetic lead while complaining that James was a control freak. Betas shouldnt complain that alphas want too much control. Fucking chihuahua.

And Kirk, lol. All he wanted to do was write solos, but inevitably he failed in making a contribution. The guy just wants to chill and surf, you know? Out of all of the guys in the band, id actually like to hang out with him though. I bet any of the half decent ideas on this album were his contribution.

So in the end, what did they create? An album about being angry and frustrated with not being able to come up with any good ideas. A fully contrived effort of faux aggression that could only possibly appeal only superficially to aging producers and guys completely out of touch with metal. The band also seems equally out of touch. This is truly an album that failed on all levels. They went into the studio with open minds, intending to create something spontaneous, but all it turned out to be was contrived nonsense that was forcefully squeezed out of the band one drop at a time. The whole album and session should have been shelved, but this probably wasnt an option.

Damn good post!

Eternal Metal's review sums it up. James definitely came out worst. I also can't believe they actually released it, but their heads are obviously so far up their arses that they thought 'baring all' in a documentary would make people sympathetic to their 'struggle' or something. There are some golden comedy moments in there though, such as:

When Lars' dad (who looks like Gandalf) listens to their ideas and tells him they should delete everything and start again, so they do

When they tell Kirk that there won't be any solos on the album

Dave Mustaine crying

I respect that man for his brutal honesty. His face when he was listening to their shit was priceless. Even though it's his own son's music, he cant help but cringe and basically tell them it sucks (and he looks like someone who never recovered from that big LSD trip that rocked his world 20 years ago). Definitely one of the highlights of this shit show.

Dave Mustaine basically bowing down and saying that he still resents/regrets getting kicked out of Metallica and wont ever get over it, that shit is hilarious. As much as I like Megadeth, I still find it hilarious to visualize Dave always trying to outdo Metallica with a similar gig and just always losing the popularity contest.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Mustardstain is such a dickhead.

In 2005, Mustaine stated "I really don't care about Kirk [Hammett] - he stole my job, but at least I got to bang his girlfriend before he took my job - how do I taste, Kirk?"

Dave - "Hey Kirk I fucked your girlfriend."

Kirk - [counting money] "What?"