What do music fans want from the bands? The Labels? The Promoters? Help us out!

i am pretty sure the bands at PP had to pay a % cut to the venue for their sales. not sure if anyone noticed that the bands merch was being sold by employees of the club. this is a dead giveaway, they are in control of all the money and sales.

False. I control everything that goes on in the venue during the weekend because I rent it it out as opposed to the venue doing their own booking. That changes everything.

I take care of the bands that perform at the fest. If they provide their own merch person, they keep 100% of sales. I don't want a dime. If they do not provide one, then they have the option of hiring the venue to sell for them and pay them a cut in return. Otherwise, they can work their own deal with the vendors to take care of them. Once again, I don't take a dime.

It's a win-win situation for the bands.

Uhh tons, it just depends on the band's ethos and business sense. If your band is on a label that cannot really afford to do much other than drop your record, you gotta take matters into your own hands if you wanna succeed. Get the funds, get a touring vehicle (should pretty much be mandatory for every touring band), make sacrifices and don't depend on getting signed to a $10,000-per-album-tour-support-deal. As for NB and CM... uh also tons. As I said, it depends on what the band does on its own.
You mention "tons" there twice. Who are these tons of bands, in the Metal scene, that these labels have gotten to a point where they no longer have to work?

Nope, if you throw down and tour it's pretty much the only guaranteed way to be successful as a metal band...
No one is debating that touring is key to success. However, touring does not guarantee success.

Zod

False. I control everything that goes on in the venue during the weekend because I rent it it out as opposed to the venue doing their own booking. That changes everything.

I take care of the bands that perform at the fest. If they provide their own merch person, they keep 100% of sales. I don't want a dime. If they do not provide one, then they have the option of hiring the venue to sell for them and pay them a cut in return. Otherwise, they can work their own deal with the vendors to take care of them. Once again, I don't take a dime.

It's a win-win situation for the bands.

you are a good man, glenn. that is good to hear and is definitely a win/win and thanks for clearing that up. i have run into the issue of clubs attempting to put someone in control of selling our merch which makes me quite uncomfortable (naturally) and i assumed it was same when i saw the CG merch person being quizzed on their stuff and had no idea. hahaha. was like deer caught in headlights, actually. it was funny.

EDIT: i wasn't implying that you got any of the money when i mentioned the venue employees selling the merch. i figured the club was getting a cut like they always try and do, but i know you always have the best interests of the band in mind.

That's the real crime; quality is irrelevant. Novembers Doom has been releasing great CDs for more than a decade and can't get on a tour. Zero Hour's Towers of Avarice was as brilliant a Prog CD as has ever been written. What did it sell, 10K? 30K? 50K copies? Circus Maximus is as good a young Prog Metal band as there is, and the only way they got on the Symphony X tour was by taking loans that they'll be personally paying back for the next five years.
Zod

Dude, no offense but I have no idea what you're talking about. Novembers Doom has/had a booking agency (First Row Talent) and was supposed to do the Rotting Christ tour and dropped off, for I guess health reasons. Circus Maximus is from Norway, where the government gives tour support to bands.

You guys are making this out into an issue as if the bands are being scammed by not touring, but in reality they are probably the ones getting offers and turning them down for whatever reason.

You mention "tons" there twice. Who are these tons of bands, in the Metal scene, that these labels have gotten to a point where they no longer have to work?
Zod

Pretty much every semi-major or major "headliner" metal band. Some of these bands will do part time, non music-related jobs to make some extra money, but they are never forced to do it or starve because they aren't making enough on the road. Of course, new bands are making shit and probably have day jobs, but if they put in the work and do their thing it will pay off in the long run. I've NEVER heard of a band who didn't achieve some form of success by doing the right amount of touring.

Pretty much every semi-major or major "headliner" metal band. Some of these bands will do part time, non music-related jobs to make some extra money, but they are never forced to do it or starve because they aren't making enough on the road. Of course, new bands aren't making shit and probably have day jobs, but if they put in the work and do their thing it will pay off in the long run. I've NEVER heard of a band who didn't achieve some form of success by doing the right amount of touring.

If by "some form of success" you mean financially stable enough to be able to live off music, or even sustain next recording/tour, then I could provide tons of examples (using the word "tons" as lightly as you).

You've got it right that bands really needs to tour in order to HOPEFULLY make it to the next level (I'm guessing that Ayreon and Shadow Gallery are the only exceptions to the rule in our genres of metal). But touring constantly for years and years does not guarantee success and does not necessarily generate money at some point in time.

c.

On the flip side, it should be noted that consistent touring does not provide a proportional amount of success.

*cough*IntoEternity*cough*

I think with IE it was their own fault. After Gigantour 2 and Opeth they did a lot of stupid tours. I don't get why they *opened* for Dream Theater and Symphony X, instead of direct support because their sales are higher than Epica's and Redemption's. At some point, you have to move up and they never did.

However, even despite everything that's been said, IE's last album (which was pretty much a flop overall by the band's standards) did like 1,500 in one week which is more than or equal to I what think Epica or Redemption will sell on their new CD. Plus, their back catalog has sold significantly more than most other prog/power bands who did not tour as much as Into Eternity (at the time of Gigantour 2, Buried In Oblivion had done like 20,000 copies, at least I think, which is pretty huge for a band like IE). So I do consider it a success in the long run.

But yes, the point you are trying to make is that there are exceptions to the rule, and I do agree with that of course! I would not say though that there are *tons* of bands who do rigorous touring for years and years and end up being unable to sustain themselves. It's pretty much impossible because at some point, you make fans and fill venues and give promoters and agents an incentive to pay you more money to do your thing. I think Claus and others who think they can name many bands that have been touring for long enough that they can headline at fairly large clubs but yet still can't eat at home are possibly looking at bands on a smaller scale in this niche genre of prog/power metal. Who knows though! More importantly, what the hell do I know?! hhaha. I'm sure I could be either wrong or ignorant of some other bands' situations.

this has been around for a long time, actually.

Interesting. It was presented in an article I read as a relatively new/not very common thing. But maybe I misconstrued it. Either way, you're right: bands can't simply allow that to become a common practice, but for every band that will refuse to do it, there are probably 50 who will believe that the club is doing them some kind of favor.

Pretty much every semi-major or major "headliner" metal band. Some of these bands will do part time, non music-related jobs to make some extra money, but they are never forced to do it or starve because they aren't making enough on the road. Of course, new bands aren't making shit and probably have day jobs, but if they put in the work and do their thing it will pay off in the long run. I've NEVER heard of a band who didn't achieve some form of success by doing the right amount of touring.

Then you haven't been paying attention. :rolleyes:

Define "semi-major." Just so we're clear, why don't you name some of these bands as examples of who you're talking about? I don't think everyone participating in this thread has a clue what you're referring to. Again, I think there is a huge misconception as to how much most of the bands make off of CDs, tours, etc. My assumption is that these guys have day jobs and/or girlfriends who help support them. I'm guessing that my assumption is closer to the truth most of the time than yours is (that they don't "need" jobs).

Also, to another one of your points: bands are not constantly getting offers to play and turning them down, trust me. But you try getting 5-6 guys who can take a couple weeks off of work (usually at short notice) *and* go into debt to do so, and let me know how it works out for you.

Hello everyone!
Thank you all so much for the great responses! There are some great points of view here and honestly we have found a lot of common ground in them.
Futures End isnt looking so much for 'financial success'. That would be great, but at the same time our goals are a bit different in the conventional sense of the word. We have all talked about it and one of the greatest things about being involved in this band is that we collectively share the same ideas with very little bickering and zero drama. We believe in the product that we have put together in terms of the music and the album. We have assembled a great team of people to work with from Lance King to Sherry Grandy - our web designer, and this includes the friends and fans of the band, and the promoters, journalists, and artists that we work with on all aspects of what we do. What we are really looking to find is a way to employ cutting edge ideas on how to present the band as being truly connected to the future of this business. We believe that reaching out to everyone with an idea is the first and best step in achieving that goal. We cannot thank you all enough for the great stuff that you have all taken the time to post here.

I have seen some good common ground here. Reduced CD prices, bonus material in the CD packaging (live videos, DVD's, etc), the best looking merch we can get, truly connecting with the fans on a personal level - ALL great stuff! MORE! MORE! MORE! =)

All of us are listening to you! The band, the label, management, all of us! KEEP IT COMIN!

Thanks again!

Christian Wentz
Futures End Cheese Grater

I would not say though that there are *tons* of bands who do rigorous touring for years and years and end up being unable to sustain themselves. It's pretty much impossible because at some point, you make fans and fill venues and give promoters and agents an incentive to pay you more money to do your thing. I think Claus and others who think they can name many bands that have been touring for long enough that they can headline at fairly large clubs but yet still can't eat at home are possibly looking at bands on a smaller scale in this niche genre of prog/power metal. Who knows though!

I think you're describing a self-fulfilling prophecy: if a band can afford to tour endlessly for years and years, its because they are generating enough revenue to be able to afford to do that. Bands that don't tour that rigorously are likely not generating the dollars necessary to be able to tour as much as they would like.

In other words, its great to say that you need to tour in order to increase your bankroll, but if you don't have the bankroll to afford to tour....

I could decide today to become a professional poker player. What happens tomorrow when I run out of cash? I know full well that if I can play poker every day for the next month, I can win enough to play the month after. But where do you begin?

LOWER YOUR CD PRICE! There is ZERO reason that a label like Nightmare should be charging $16-18 for a CD. It is not like Lance is greasing the palms of Clear Channel or Infinity, or putting you on major arena tours. It is a good starter label that does little than let you say, "I have a CD!" This is NOT to knock Nightmare or other small labels, mind you, but to point out a point of fact. You want to move product, make the price reasonable, and people will buy. Also, you need widespread distro to get your music into those who don't travel to the website. That is how I got my Katagory V, Code of Perfection, and Moonlight Agony CD's. Saw them in the store, and picked them up after going though it.

Agreed here also. I'll blind buy a new band that sounds promising, without hearing any actual music, if the price is right. $13 is about my upper end for this (with a few rare exceptions). At $18, it had better be something I KNOW I will love, or come with a nice chunk of extras. I won't claim to have any clue as to how Nightmare runs things, or speculate on their pricing structures. I have ordered from them in the past, and had GREAT service every time, but only when they were the ONLY distributor, or they had a sale going.

I CAN say, however, that printing costs for CDs / DVDs are certainly not as high as they once were. I work for a company that produces and distributes workout DVDs, and I know that our printing and pressing costs (excluding artwork development, production etc...... Just talking about the physical product) is well under a couple bucks apiece.....

However, even despite everything that's been said, IE's last album (which was pretty much a flop overall by the band's standards) did like 1,500 in one week which is more than or equal to I what think Epica or Redemption will sell on their new CD. Plus, their back catalog has sold significantly more than most other prog/power bands who did not tour as much as Into Eternity (at the time of Gigantour 2, Buried In Oblivion had done like 20,000 copies, at least I think, which is pretty huge for a band like IE). So I do consider it a success in the long run.

What percentage of those sales would you attribute to touring vs. the promotional/distribution powers of their record label, including things such as the buy-on videos at Headbanger's Ball, etc.?

Then you haven't been paying attention. :rolleyes:

Define "semi-major." Just so we're clear, why don't you name some of these bands as examples of who you're talking about? I don't think everyone participating in this thread has a clue what you're referring to. Again, I think there is a huge misconception as to how much most of the bands make off of CDs, tours, etc. My assumption is that these guys have day jobs and/or girlfriends who help support them. I'm guessing that my assumption is closer to the truth most of the time than yours is (that they don't "need" jobs).

Also, to another one of your points: bands are not constantly getting offers to play and turning them down, trust me. But you try getting 5-6 guys who can take a couple weeks off of work (usually at short notice) *and* go into debt to do so, and let me know how it works out for you.

Seems like everything I post is getting shot down and argued rather harshly over simple semantics rather than the bulk of my argument and it's getting kind of aggravating.

For the record, I actually specifically mentioned some examples of "successful" headlining bands like Suffocation who don't have day jobs that make like 4-5 k a night in the US. There are pleeeenty others, but it's not going to serve this thread at all to just list band names. It's not rocket science, if you do it long enough and hard enough at some point it pays off. It's up to the band whether they want to call it quits because it's too hard or to persevere. I NEVER said it was easy. That's the difference. Nobody is properly reading my posts and are just taking one thing I say without looking at the rest. Nor have I ever said that bands don't have valid reasons to turn down tours. What I am saying, is that it's not the agent's fault that your favorite band has a day job and doesn't want to take the financial risk in touring. That's the band's decision, and there are plenty of other bands willing to step in. As I said, this is not rocket science, it's pretty simple. And I'm not at ALL trying to sound condescending, but I'm sick of people not properly reading my posts.

In other words, its great to say that you need to tour in order to increase your bankroll, but if you don't have the bankroll to afford to tour....

I could decide today to become a professional poker player. What happens tomorrow when I run out of cash? I know full well that if I can play poker every day for the next month, I can win enough to play the month after. But where do you begin?

Yes, you need to have money to make money. Welcome to business 101 man haha. :D

What percentage of those sales would you attribute to touring vs. the promotional/distribution powers of their record label, including things such as the buy-on videos at Headbanger's Ball, etc.?

If this was the 90s, I'd say videos would be playing a bigger part in sales than touring, but not anymore. Touring is definitely the best means of selling records, even more I dare say, than taking out ads and doing CD reviews/interviews.

However, you still gotta do the ads and print promo CDs for reviews and interviews because alot of distros require it, so there's the unfortunate catch 22.

Seems like everything I post is getting shot down and argued rather harshly over simple semantics rather than the bulk of my argument and it's getting kind of aggravating.

For the record, I actually specifically mentioned some examples of "successful" headlining bands like Suffocation who don't have day jobs that make like 4-5 k a night in the US. There are pleeeenty others, but it's not going to serve this thread at all to just list band names. It's not rocket science, if you do it long enough and hard enough at some point it pays off. It's up to the band whether they want to call it quits because it's too hard or to persevere. I NEVER said it was easy. That's the difference. Nobody is properly reading my posts and are just taking one thing I say without looking at the rest. Nor have I ever said that bands don't have valid reasons to turn down tours. What I am saying, is that it's not the agent's fault that your favorite band has a day job and doesn't want to take the financial risk in touring. That's the band's decision, and there are plenty of other bands willing to step in. As I said, this is not rocket science, it's pretty simple. And I'm not at ALL trying to sound condescending, but I'm sick of people not properly reading my posts.

Honey, there is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension skills, and I have read the entirety of your posts. I disagree with what I see as the "bulk" of your argument, as follows: most bands (that most here listen to anyway) do indeed need "day jobs" (and not just for extra cash, but to pay the bills) as they do NOT make enough money off of touring/merch/CD sales to sustain touring and recording, much less actually being able to pay the rent and light bill.

No, it doesn't matter HOW much you tour, for some (lots of) bands, they will simply never make enough money to sustain touring and recording. Period. No, it's not rocket science. :p

(Those seem to me to be your major points anyway.)

Also, I don't know enough about the 4 bands you mentioned by name, but it seems that others who do think your figures are off base, hence my questioning them. I don't know you, so don't take my questions as insults... I honestly am trying for clarification because in my (albeit limited, as indicated previously) experience, that simply is not how it works. What is your "expertise"? Are you involved in the biz in some way (not that I am, so don't take that as a knock), or are you friends with these guys? Basically, I am just curious as to where you get these $5k/night numbers.

What you are saying will work to some extent for some bands... it will NOT always work, and not just because someone doesn't "take a chance." We're not talking about my "favorite band" here or bands aspiring and expecting to be the next Metallica; we're talking about hard-working bands who are trying to just figure out a way to be able to afford to make another record.

How it is coming across to me is that if a band isn't touring enough to make money, they must simply be lazy or whatever. What you need to understand is that it's most often not simply a "choice" of taking a "financial risk" or not: you can't bankroll something on a smile and a promise.

Yes, you need to have money to make money. Welcome to business 101 man haha.

And how many of these bands have the available funds to tour endlessly, until they reach successful levels? Achieving success in the music industry is a hell of a lot more than simple desire. If so, Anvil may should have been the biggest metal act since Metallica.

Its the chicken and the egg. Gotta have $$$ to be able to tour, but you have to be able to tour to make the $$$. And just because you tour, doesn't guarantee the money.....

How it is coming across to me is that if a band isn't touring enough to make money, they must simply be lazy or whatever. What you need to understand is that it's most often not simply a "choice" of taking a "financial risk" or not: you can't bankroll something on a smile and a promise.

Thank you! My point exactly! :kickass:

And how many of these bands have the available funds to tour endlessly, until they reach successful levels? Achieving success in the music industry is a hell of a lot more than simple desire. If so, Anvil may should have been the biggest metal act since Metallica.

Anvil was actually making money on the road though, even in the movie! In fact, even on that poorly booked European tour in the movie they were getting guarantees of 1500 euro per night as Lips said himself, which isn't all that bad for a band who never made it anywhere at all. In fact, I was shocked that promoters were even paying them that much. Was that enough to sustain them for life? Oh heeeeeeeelll no, but I also attribute alot of ignorance and lack of information to why they never made it. The fact the only label Anvil shopped to was EMI and said they had to have a major label behind them and wouldn't take no for an answer was very unreasonable. Metallica busted ass on the road in the 80s, I don't think Anvil did anywhere even close to the amount of touring that Metallica did, even before Metallica was *Metallica*.

Its the chicken and the egg. Gotta have $$$ to be able to tour, but you have to be able to tour to make the $$$. And just because you tour, doesn't guarantee the money.....

Well no. This argument is just silly. You have to have money to make money; as I said, business 101. How do you think any business gets started? Capital! This is like the 80th time I've said it, you need to make sacrifices, some bands are willing, others aren't. Simple as that.

Honey, there is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension skills, and I have read the entirety of your posts. I disagree with what I see as the "bulk" of your argument, as follows: most bands (that most here listen to anyway) do indeed need "day jobs" (and not just for extra cash, but to pay the bills) as they do NOT make enough money off of touring/merch/CD sales to sustain touring and recording, much less actually being able to pay the rent and light bill.

MOST of the bands in this prog/power scene don't tour at all, so duh, of course they have day jobs. And guess what? I'm not accusing them of anything -- as you previously said, they have families and "real" jobs. Good for them, but then don't ask why they haven't broken out as big as say In Flames. There are bands willing to make sacrifices and there are others that don't. I've said it like 80,000 times by now! :)

No, it doesn't matter HOW much you tour, for some (lots of) bands, they will simply never make enough money to sustain touring and recording. Period. No, it's not rocket science. :p

No it doesn't matter HOW much you tour, but it's a combination of HOW much you tour and WHAT kind of touring you do. You do as much DIY touring as you can in the hopes of getting the interest of a decent metal label that puts you in touch with First Row Talent or TKO or The Agency Group and then you do some tours opening for big bands until a really good offer rolls your way and then you keep going and never look back. Somewhere along all that, the album should be selling etc.

Also, I don't know enough about the 4 bands you mentioned by name, but it seems that others who do think your figures are off base, hence my questioning them. I don't know you, so don't take my questions as insults... I honestly am trying for clarification because in my (albeit limited, as indicated previously) experience, that simply is not how it works. What is your "expertise"? Are you involved in the biz in some way (not that I am, so don't take that as a knock), or are you friends with these guys? Basically, I am just curious as to where you get these $5k/night numbers.

Well I don't know for sure how much bands make, but they are approximations based on what I know others make. When you bring in 800 people per night, you tend to make X amount, 5,000 people per night, you make y amount. And yes, I am sort of involved in the music business, but that as as far as I'm willing to say at this point about it. Nor am I willing to admit how much people I know make on the road. That's their business.

What you are saying will work to some extent for some bands... it will NOT always work, and not just because someone doesn't "take a chance." We're not talking about my "favorite band" here or bands aspiring and expecting to be the next Metallica; we're talking about hard-working bands who are trying to just figure out a way to be able to afford to make another record.

RAGHAGAGHAGAHAGAHAGAHAGAHAGAHAGAH!!!!!:heh:

Of course it doesn't always work! You could buy as many business books as you can afford, ask for opinions from well known entrepreneurs, etc and start up a tea company with the best advice in the world and STILL not do well. Why are you guys arguing my semantics so much? When I say for example, that touring is a guarantee for success, I don't mean it in strict mathematical terms. It's not as certain as 1 + 1 = 2, but it's more of a guarantee than other promotional means.

I ALSO NEVER SAID THAT A BAND IS LAZY FOR NOT TOURING! What I am saying, is that some bands are willing to make sacrifices and others aren't. The ones that don't probably have excellent reasons for doing so, but at the same time, you cannot then say "WELL WHY ARENT THEY TOURING?! FUCK THE MUSIC BUSINESS." There are no free lunches.

And nobody's talking about Metallica. Do you have any idea how much Metallica makes on the road? HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per night!