What do you do?

I'm a few weeks away from graduating :D. Computer Systems Engineering, ie: microelectronics and computers.

Possibly looking at applying for some sort of image processing jobs. I did my final year project on a system for hip replacement operation planning (basically take a CT scan and extract the femur as a 3D object)..... so maybe something medical like that. Otherwise I dunno what I'm going to apply for.

Nah, I'm not talking about the actual papers. Those are pretty cool. These are the dummified Scientific American style briefs, with lots of pictures and basically no purpose other than to say to an idiot "isn't that cool?"

I'd rather read the real journal with the papers... but then again, I'd rather get my hands on something and drive that development myself than read about somebody else doing it.

100% agreed, but keep in mind that the "Ohhh, look how interesting this is, you ignorant prick" type of writing, whether it be magazine articles, popular science books etc are the reason why people will eventually pursue science in the first place. If it wasn't for Brian Greene's books on physics, I wouldn't be in college right now! I actually started learning calculus because I wanted to understand what all of those weird symbols meant.

I said I can read the interesting parts without paying, even if it's my company. They could buy a couple cat 6 cables instead of killing trees to print me "exciting new developments in nanotechnology - now with more artist rendered photoshop pictures!"

Sign up for membership. IEEE is mostly about the societies pertaining to your discipline/function. I'm in VTS, Antennas & Propagation Society, Communications Society, and Engineering Management Society.
A lot of the lecturers at my uni are right into antennas. Dunno how big the society is or if you would have heard of any of them, but I guess they'd probably be in it.

I'm...
CEO, director sales and marketing, 24% owner at company A
CTO, director R&D and IT, chairman, 40% owner at company B
CEO, consultant, ISV, 100% owner at company C
Software developer, 35% owner at company D
Consultant (sales and marketing), 5% owner at company E
Consultant (product manager; half time) at company F
Consultant (software developer; half a day a week) at company G
Consultant (software development; now and then) at company H

And music-wise I listen a lot to the classics and classic prog and prog metal. I also try to play acoustic and electric guitar. After 20 years I still can't play properly, but I can be loud and fast.

Cheers

Now that I have a new job:

I'm a Technical Service Rep at a cable internet company. People call in when their internet or email doesn't work and I troubleshoot and whatnot. I'm about to finish my training.

Soon after, in a few weeks, I'll lose this job. But fuck that, I'd rather tour with Exodus than tell old people to unplug their router and plug it back in.