what do you guys put on your drum bus/fx channel?

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I normally throw a TC Electronic verb on the fx, and sometimes I'll GClip the bus. if I really need to squash them, I'll thow an L2 on the bus. I was just curious what you guys do though since I have no clue what I'm doing. haha. do any of you guys eq the bus to make room for other instruments, or do you do that to each channel? (obviously you would eq each channel in addition to the bus...) what about an exciter, or tube compressor sim?

I use reverb and parallel comping. I find that if i even activate g clip on my snare bus it just makes it sound like shit.

In the past, nothing. More recently a bit of squeeze from the elysia mPressor plug-in and maybe a light bit of saturation from Decapitator or URS Saturation.

But what I will be doing in the near future is using the Overstayer Stereo Comp in parallel.

Camel Crusher in parallel. its default setting is Annihilate, which does the job nicely. Just bus snare / toms ( maybe a little kick ) to it.

:wave:

Usually parallel compress. Use an exciter on anything that sounds too dark. Then throw compress with Sonalksis SV-315 to get it breathing.

I usually put a UAD Pultec EQ, NXtasy saturation and liquid mix bus comp (a primitive, or SSL GBus comp...) with slow attack, mid release and like 2db GR.
That´s all. I never gclip because it just sound like shit to me...

To OP and poster before me...
Why the hell would someone GClip a drum bus?

Why the fucking hell?

You clip a snare, not the whole damn bus? Or you'll get shit distorting everywhere!

AND MASSIVE +1 TO NASTYVCS + a bit of parallel compression <33333

To OP and poster before me...
Why the hell would someone GClip a drum bus?

Why the fucking hell?

You clip a snare, not the whole damn bus? Or you'll get shit distorting everywhere!

AND MASSIVE +1 TO NASTYVCS + a bit of parallel compression <33333
...To cut any peaks and bring up the rest of the drum kit?