What gigs are you going to? Arrange meets.

Jinn said:
anyone going to the Kata show in San Antonio?

if there are no hassles at work, i should take 2 days off and drive up there from mexico city, hopefully. are they selling tickets yet??

hugot said:
if there are no hassles at work, i should take 2 days off and drive up there from mexico city, hopefully. are they selling tickets yet??

not yet, I checked the venue site... should be up in a month I guess.

So, I've been to Graspop last weekend, and it was especially exhausting.
It was nice, but not as awesome as the past years, despite the great bands...

The Gathering:
Absolutely breathtaking... She sings very good on their DVD, but she sang simply perfect this time. Even during the chorus in In Motion, which she usually has some difficulties with.
Anyway, they played quite a surprising setlist, lots of older stuff, probably because it's a metal festival. And the crowd DIGGED it. I missed the first 2 or 3 songs though :(
Some of the songs they played: Liberty Bell, Eleanor, In Motion (1+2!!!), Strange Machines and On Most Surfaces (the biggest surprise of em all! With Anneke on guitars :D)
Some parts (especially In Motion) were downright magical. I was standing there, smiling like a fool at Anneke :oops: And during In Motion I got soooo carried away I felt tears coming up. Guh, I feel so silly saying that, but it's true. That never ever happened before... Someone's voice touching me like that.

Lacuna Coil:
Eh right... I knew only one song before, which I liked, but I never expected a gig like this one. I honestly thought they were being consciously funny, doing a Korn parody, but it turned out that Lacuna Coil spend their time these days copying Korn in a bad way. The guitar riffs sound Korny, the singer acts a little bit like Davis, hell even the guitar players headbang in the genuine Korn way. It just sucked.
AND they RAPED Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence, I was a bit pissed off.

Moonspell:
Good but not great. I don't like the last 3 albums, and they played mostly songs from those albums. Still, I like those songs better live than on the albums. We did get some cool old ones like Opium, Alma Mater, Full Moon Madness, etc

Ancient Rites:
Quite a letdown. They played waaaay too much new songs, and the sounds just SUCKED. They forgot to play too many classics. The only real classics we got were Mother Europe and Fatherland.

Alice in Chains:
Very nice. Didn't get bored a single second. Of course it's not the same without Layne, but it didn't REALLY seem like a coverband, like some other people say. The new guy sounds like Layne a lil bit.
Anyway, I got the songs I wanted: Down in a Hole, Man in a Box, Rooster, Would...

My Dying Bride:
Fucking great. VERY surprising setlist. The sound was a bit messy at first, but got better in the end. Still, the drums were too quiet. The band really seemed to enjoy it, and so did the crowd. The response to classics like She Is the Dark and The Cry of Mankind was fantastic.
Setlist as far as I remember:
The Whore the Cook and the Mother, Like Gods of the Sun, Blue Lotus, For You (ORGASMMMM! :oops: ), She Is the Dark, The Dreadful Hours, The Cry of Mankind, Catherine Blake, The Forever People (fuck yeah!!)
The only little letdown was the absence of any Turn Loose the Swans song.

Soulfly:
One of the best gigs I've ever seen. Soulfly was my first metal concert ever, back when I was 15, and has always been one of my favourite bands, but live they usually messed up a lot of parts. Not this time though, every note was perfect. They also REALLY got the crowd going wild, including me :D I was in the middle of a brutal pit, screaming the lyrics, until some fuckhead apparantly thought it was funny to kick people, and I got hit very very hard in my stomach, so I had to recover in the back somewhere and missed a big part :(
The Sepultura masterpiece Inner Self got me on my feet again though.

Opeth:
Not bad, but didn't really get to me. I lose interest in their albums in a chronological way, and it seems the same with their gigs. They choose to play more and more songs that I don't care about and leave great songs out. For example Advent, The Drapery Falls and even Demon of the Fall. WTF??
Well, I did enjoy Deliverance though, that's such a cool song.

how can opeth leave out Demon of the Fall!? oO

hey but tell something about the atmosphere and so on! i mean.... festivals are not just bands ;)

it's a shame that i'm not able to visit any festival this year... it's so fucked up...

I just got my ticket for unholy alliance 2 in stockholm...

eagle.gif

Thanks for your report, Cerulean, very interesting to read.
I'm really excited about seeing MDB at Summer Breeze!
And about Alice in Chains:
I saw them in Hultsfred and I must say they're still great!! Through the years, I had almost forgotten them but I was curious to see them now, and after a short moment of getting used to the new singer I was completely blown away!They seemed fresh and energetic, although they have obviously grown older, Jerry Cantrell still looks (and plays ;)) good, the bass was groovy and melodic, the new singer did an amazing job replacing Layne while still keeping his own character.
One of my top 3 concerts of the year so far, along with Khoma @ Close Up and (surprise surprise) Katatonia@ various :headbang:

I like 3 of 4 albums of theirs i've listened: Light of Day, Day of Darkness, A Blessing in Disguise and The Acoustic Verses. The other one i've listened is the first one (don't remember the name) but it was pretty boring

MadTinus said:
Damn, I really need to see AIC as well!

But something, anyone else here likes GREEN CARNATION?

They're doing a verrry special concert in Norway on the 3rd of August called Under The Dam, see www.underthedam.com/eng. I'm seriously considering to go there, this seems something not to be missed!

I love GC, but i cant go... i still have to wait for them to visit sweden i guess... damn norwegians never come here.