What Got You Into Opeth?

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
For me it was My Arms Your Hearse. I had never heard of Opeth until I heard this cd that my wife bought. I didnt realy care for them at first and thenthey grew on me andnw Icant getenough of theem.

I'm not sure which Opeth song I first heard... I want to say it was The Drapery Falls.

Took a few listens, but after I started actually listening to the song I was like, "WANT MOAR!"

A little over a year ago I wasn't very interested in the Death Metal scene. My friend and I gave each other a few songs from an album of a band that we have never heard before.

I got "Bleak" "The Drapery Falls" and "Blackwater Park"
Took a bit, not only is Opeth now one of my favorite bands but it opened up a whole new scene of music for me to explore.

Their cover of Remember Tomorrow, I heard back in like '98/'99. After that, bought Morningrise, then..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:headbang:

At first, Damnation. I used to hate growls and all this extreme metal "nonsense", I was more of a Metallica/Iron Maiden type of guy. Then I watched the Lamentations DVD and the first set completely blew me away. Those guys portrayed themselves as modest, sincere artists that aren't about the pose and stage persona, but about artistic expression and beautiful, beautiful music. Then they left the stage and came back, and I said "well, I'll just watch the whole thing. Worst case scenario I'll be suffering for an hour!".
They came on, and started playing Master's Apprentices. I thought, "well this is heavy". I didn't suffer through the growls since now I had a much clearer picture of what Opeth is like. Then came the acoustic bit in the middle, and I thought I might as well try listening to their music just for the acoustic bits because on Lamentations they were all awesome to me.
I started listening to their heavy tunes to get to the quiet parts and gradually got used to the growling. Then I started liking them, and then I thought their music wouldn't be complete without them.

Then I got addicted to Blackwater Park. The rest is irrelevant, because now Opeth is my very favorite band. So thanks to Opeth for getting me acquainted with extreme metal and opening my mind for a world of amazing music.

the drapery falls. i bought blackwater park soon after i heard that song. like a lot of people said, it took me awhile to get into them but now they are my favorite band.

I listened to the drapery falls,the first ever opeth song I have heard.It seemed a cool song and I kept listening to it.After a while I bought lamentations,damnation,deliverance,blackwater park and ghost reveries.Sadly,I cant find Orchid,Morningrise,Still Life or MAYH anywhere.I tell my father to look for em when he goes abroad but he cant find it.It is a sad thing for me.

I guess it would have been quite a while ago now, but I was into stuff like Tool and A Perfect Circle and I think someone in fact recommended Opeth as something people who like APC would also like, so I downloaded a random track, which was Blackwater Park - although only the first half of it because this was in the days of dial-up connections and the connection broke part way through. The first thing I noticed was that the full song was apparently 12 minutes long, which I thought was a mistake or something. Anyway, I listened to what I'd managed to get of it and I immediately loved the strange harmonies they used, and the riffs were excellent, I hadn't heard anything like it before. At that time I really didn't like anything with growled vocals in, so I was dreading what the vocals would sound like, and to my dismay they were growls. I said at the time what a lot of people I know still say to this day - "I like the music but I can't take the rubbish vocals". Still, the music intrigued me so much that a couple of weeks later on payday I took my earnings down to the music store and bought Blackwater Park. I wondered if I was making a big mistake but I listened to the album over and over again and I loved it, I think my favourite track was Bleak. I got used to the vocals, and after a while I actually thought they worked better than clean one in most places. Now much of the music I listen to has growls in it, so really Opeth opened up a whole area of music that I wouldn't have explored otherwise.

2005, Ghost Reveries. I remember the moment I thought : "This is just one big perfect song" and forgot abour the growls that used to annoy me.
Then I listened to it about a thousand times while beginning to purchase the other Albums.

Heard Ghost of Perdition from Roadrunner site and i was simply stunned. I must of listened it like 10 times in a row, didn't even know such music exists. Got all their albums and been a big fan since.