What Got You Into Opeth?

A lot of people were raving about Opeth on the Megadeth boards. I just had to check them out.

I got Blackwater Park first. It took me a couple weeks to finally dig it, but once I did, I was hooked. I then went on to buy Deliverance and Damnation, and bought Ghost Reveries on the day of its release. Then I worked my way backwards through all their releases.

"Its our coats that make these wands out of Opeth"

Someone posted that link on a forum I go to about 2 years ago and I searched Opeth after that and have been listening since.

Going to see them this Saturday night actually at Hard Rock Live Orlando.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs

Someone posted that link on a forum I go to about 2 years ago and I searched Opeth after that and have been listening since.

Oh my god. That's the best "misheard lyrics" video I've ever seen.

"ARE YOUR WHAT!?"

It's good to know that Trivium's fail has become Opeth's win in you, Deric.

In late 1997 my buddy had this death/black metal mix tape in his car. We went on a forty minute drive out to Tampa to hit a record store and Twilight is My Robe and Dialogue with the Stars from In Flames was on it. I'd never heard anything like Twilight and loved the IF song. I asked him who they were. He had no clue. So, he asked the guy that compiled the songs. He got back with me a week later and said the really long song was from Opeth and the instrumental was from In Flames. I bought Orchid and Whoracle in December of '97 during Christmas break my senior year of highschool. A few months later I picked up Morningrise and The Jester Race. I took an immediate liking to Opeth and have been a fan of In Flames ever since.

My Arms, Your Hearse was the first Opeth album I purchased upon release. I had to mail order it through a company in Boston who imported it from Europe. If memory serves me right, Century Black wasn't getting it in the states for a month or two after the European release date. I spent something like $50 to get the European import of My Arms, Your Hearse shipped to the Tampa Bay area. It was well worth every penny when I met the band on the BWP tour and Mike asked how I got the Euro version in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs

I've never seen that misheard lyrics video before. That's way up there, and probably in the top three I've ever seen. I actually love the Trivium Ascendency album.

I too will be in Orlando at Hard Rock Live seeing Opeth and Dream Theater Saturday night! I'm psyched to see both on the same show. I've seen the Opeth set list a bunch of times, should be a great show. I hope DT has a good set list too!!! I can't wait. This'll be the fourth time I've seen Opeth and the sixth for Dream Theater.

I believe that was the original "interpretation" video that started them all.

and I like Trivium too, but that video made me laugh like crazy the first time I seen it

I got into Opeth at Morningrise release, mostly because of Dan Swanö. I have been a Swanö fan since forever and i really really hope they team up again and make some more Sörskogen songs!

Or do something heavier together...that would be so cool...Imagine Mikael & Dan growling together :yow:

Or do something heavier together...that would be so cool...Imagine Mikael & Dan growling together :yow:

OMG..... imagine if they actually growled together, and the song was 40 minutes long and was released 10 years ago!!!!

In late 1997 my buddy had this death/black metal mix tape in his car. We went on a forty minute drive out to Tampa to hit a record store and Twilight is My Robe and Dialogue with the Stars from In Flames was on it. I'd never heard anything like Twilight and loved the IF song. I asked him who they were. He had no clue. So, he asked the guy that compiled the songs. He got back with me a week later and said the really long song was from Opeth and the instrumental was from In Flames. I bought Orchid and Whoracle in December of '97 during Christmas break my senior year of highschool. A few months later I picked up Morningrise and The Jester Race. I took an immediate liking to Opeth and have been a fan of In Flames ever since.

My Arms, Your Hearse was the first Opeth album I purchased upon release. I had to mail order it through a company in Boston who imported it from Europe. If memory serves me right, Century Black wasn't getting it in the states for a month or two after the European release date. I spent something like $50 to get the European import of My Arms, Your Hearse shipped to the Tampa Bay area. It was well worth every penny when I met the band on the BWP tour and Mike asked how I got the Euro version in the US.

I bet you were at that Brass Mug show...I was there, hours before they were to perform, and hung out with them as well. Nevermore was there, along with 5 other bands. It was cool that they played 1 song off of their 5 (at the time)albums. Were you the guy that had the European cds that didn't have the logo on them?

I bet you were at that Brass Mug show...I was there, hours before they were to perform, and hung out with them as well. Nevermore was there, along with 5 other bands. It was cool that they played 1 song off of their 5 (at the time)albums. Were you the guy that had the European cds that didn't have the logo on them?

Yup, that would have been me! I've got the European version of My Arms, Your Hearse, BWP, Deliverance and Damnation. But, the D1 and D2 albums really didn't have a bunch of differences to them. I think the logos are a tiny bit smaller. Still Life I had to order from Canada when it released. I couldn't find anyone selling it locally or anyone importing it from Europe. Orchid, Morningrise and Ghost Reveries all come from here. Actually, is you were at the Brass Mug show, you should appreciate this. I bought Orchid and Morningrise at Ace's Records!

My Arms, just has a sticker on the outside of the jewel case with no Opeth branding on the actual album art. When I handed it to Mike, he noticed and commented about it right away. I was somewhat surprised, seing as how he's probably autographed more of the European versions of the CD (at the time) than the Americanized version from Century.

I thought that was you! I, along with my best friend were there very early as well. Remember when all the other people piled in, and the show was about to start, and one of the bartenders came 'round, and asked if we'd payed yet, because we were there so early? I'm pretty sure it was to you, and agreeing, saying that we should pay regardless , because Opeth finally came down here, and they weren't quite making money yet. The funny thing is I got all 5 of my cd's signed, but Mendez signed Orchid as well, even though he didn't play on it. I've talked to them every show since then as well, but I don't think it can get any better than seeing them at that time in their career in a run down, but Legendary metal venue!
It was cool talking to Peter about Camel, Goblin, and Porcupine Tree. Which show are you going to....Clearwater, or Orlando?

Oh yeah....Aces Records...what a fucking great place that was! Until Mellissa ran it in the ground, when she bought the store. She was at Gigantour...I yelled across the bar at her, she smiled...asked how I've been, and then I asked her..... WTF!!? (kinda half serious, half joking) What happened with the store.

It's funny because I never liked harsh vocals before, never heard Opeth before, but I heard Ghost Of Perdition and my jaw dropped. The Baying of the Hounds, jaw still dropped. From there I was hooked. I bought all the other releases since the release of Ghost Reveries and preasant day.

I'm a huge fan now, and I think the vocals are so awesome, words can't even describe.

I was farting around on youtube as usual and I came across Harvest and Windowpane. I then listened to the roundhouse tapes and deliverance while I played EverQuest 2. Growls weren't my thing then but they grew on me quickly.

Cristina Scabbia told me they were good. I was going to see Lacuna Coil in Cleveland but the band couldn't get in the U.S. Opeth were the headliner with Paradise Lost and Tapping the Vein. I was pretty disappointed when I heard LC wasn't going to make it and I thought about not going at all because I really didn't know about any of the other bands. So I e-mailed Cristina and asked her what she thought of Opeth and she told me that I should still go and check them out. I'm glad I took her advice, been hooked ever since. Best band ever I dare to say.:worship:

My friend came over and made me listen to Master Apprentice's off the DVD. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.