What Impulses are you using?

cundalini

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2009
I thought we could share Exactly which impulses everyone uses? After dl'ing about 300 impulses I think Im overwhelmed buy all of them and just cant seem to find the right one for the job now. So lets get real specific about which one of GuitarHacks 100 or so impulses, or Sperimental's, etc,etc.

I was using Poidaboi's Engl higher presence impulse for months before now, exclusively that is, but I'm using CatharsisStudio's new impulse now. It's on the production forum, check it.

My best results have been from mixing poidabois' higher presence impulse blended with Spherimental's framus.

Not that I'm happy with my tones....

I liked what I had gotten from the Recabinet demo, so I went out and bought Recabinet itself.

I am really enjoying it, but haven't been recording much lately because I've been busy with university work, but I'll get a whole band demo up soon! (it won't sound as good as most of the stuff on here but it'll be good music nonetheless)

To answer your question, I do enjoy the higher pres engl impulse, and the Ghandi cabinet from the Recabinet demo (if other people haven't bought Recabinet and don't have access to other ones like the Sterling, etc).

i just have a folder with a few different impulses. jcm 900, mesa boogie, ac30's and an engl one i got yesterday off here. they're all great - ill upload the .zip if people want it but more then likely most of you have them already

I usually use a combination of poida's, Metaltastic's and if the situation warrants it even a Recabinet demo one. I find the trick is in mixing and matching to fill the holes in each individual impulse.

I find myself using these a lot (although my search is not finished yet) Guitarhack Edge 45, GH Set 2 / Between-Half, I like Awesometime in combination with the GH Edge 45

After dl'ing about 300 impulses I think Im overwhelmed buy all of them and just cant seem to find the right one for the job now.

This is something I have never understood. I downloaded over 500 free vst plugins years ago but I barely used like 5% of them so I just started to get rid of those that I have never used on a project and I was left with plugins from 40 different makers (Aixacoustic, Anwida, Aradaz, Bootsy, Brainworx, BTE, Buzzroom, Camel Audio, Christian Budde, ePhonic, Flux, Fretted Synth Audio, George Yohng, GVST, Habib, Jeroen Breebaart, Kjaerhus, Lepou, MDA, Mr Mono, Ndzeit Audio, Nick Crow, Roger Nicholson Digital, SimulAnalog Guitar Suite, SIR Reverb, Slim Slow Slider, Solid State Logic, Studio Devil, Tin Brooke Tales, Togu Audio Line, Voxengo, You Wa Shock and some synths). If you don't have any use for majority of the impulses/plugins, why not just delete them especially if they just sound like sheeeeeet? You can keep the installers/zips in your backup drive if you think you might need them some day, but I think that is just keeping the virtual peen long.

This is something I have never understood. I downloaded over 500 free vst plugins years ago but I barely used like 5% of them so I just started to get rid of those that I have never used on a project and I was left with plugins from 40 different makers (Aixacoustic, Anwida, Aradaz, Bootsy, Brainworx, BTE, Buzzroom, Camel Audio, Christian Budde, ePhonic, Flux, Fretted Synth Audio, George Yohng, GVST, Habib, Jeroen Breebaart, Kjaerhus, Lepou, MDA, Mr Mono, Ndzeit Audio, Nick Crow, Roger Nicholson Digital, SimulAnalog Guitar Suite, SIR Reverb, Slim Slow Slider, Solid State Logic, Studio Devil, Tin Brooke Tales, Togu Audio Line, Voxengo, You Wa Shock and some synths). If you don't have any use for majority of the impulses/plugins, why not just delete them especially if they just sound like sheeeeeet? You can keep the installers/zips in your backup drive if you think you might need them some day, but I think that is just keeping the virtual peen long.

I just made a folder with my 20 favs...so I can always go through the huge stash if I can't find what I'm looking for in those 20.

I haven't found the perfect impulse yet.
Do you use them with amps or Pods?

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect impulse....

My favorite has now become awesometime, with Ola's savage impulse coming in second. I just discovered I could just EQ after the impulse so they all have the same EQing...but their own impulse characteristics. Why didn't I think of this before!

Awesometime is clearer and grittier than the ENGLv30higherpres i've been using.

Really awesome thread! Maybe after few more suggestions we could collect them all to one .zip file. 10-20 impulses as the good starting points for everyone...

I am sticking most of the time with the ENGLs and the Mesa OS from Wild Hades Sperimental Pack and Guitar Hack, 1st set. From time to time I use Noarin's Diezel Soldano IR.
I've opened a thread a while ago asking wich IRs are you guys using for lead tones... no one answered :erk:. Any thoughts ?

I am sticking most of the time with the ENGLs and the Mesa OS from Wild Hades Sperimental Pack and Guitar Hack, 1st set. From time to time I use Noarin's Diezel Soldano IR.
I've opened a thread a while ago asking wich IRs are you guys using for lead tones... no one answered :erk:. Any thoughts ?

I'm liking Sp's Framus V30 impulse right now...it really cuts through the mix well, worked well for me so far.

Less cutting, but a bit more mellow is the awesometime impulse I recently got from a thread around here....still has more clarity than the ENGLV30 higher presence impulse I use a lot for rhythm.

I don't know, your mileage may vary.