WHAT INFLUNCES DO YOU HEAR IN AMON AMARTH?

Mork said:
I will agree on In Flames early stuff being an okay listen, anything past Whoracle is just horrid, in my opinion. Dark Tranquillity on the other hand is a very gruling task for me to listen to.

Skydancer? The Gallery? Man, they're classic (as well as being better than anything In Flames ever did, Lunar Strain & Jester Race included).

I don't really see the Iron Maiden or older bands being directly influential. Sure there's a lot of great harmony but that's too universal now to be stated as coming from one thing.

Anyway if it's at all relevant I'm fairly sure that about 98% of AAs stuff is in the major scale. I can't speak for all bands but that seems to be an oddity in most older metal.

Anglorfin said:
I don't really see the Iron Maiden or older bands being directly influential. Sure there's a lot of great harmony but that's too universal now to be stated as coming from one thing.

Anyway if it's at all relevant I'm fairly sure that about 98% of AAs stuff is in the major scale. I can't speak for all bands but that seems to be an oddity in most older metal.

Welp, sorry, but any band that incorporates dual lead-guitar harmonies like AA does is most certainly influenced by Iron Maiden.

The Bringer said:
It's always possible, but unless you talk to them and ask them you cannot be certain.

I can be quite certain, actually. You (meaning, a band) either create a style or take an existing one and incorporate it into your own. In this case, it's clearly the latter. I'm not saying it's a band thing, it just is what it is. Maiden clearly influenced 100s of metal bands, of all styles.

Incidentally, I've spoken to every member of AA at great length before, and hung with them quite a bit at several NYC-area shows (due to interviews and what not), and never thought to pose that questions. Hmph.

well I wouldn't say that so much of AA stuff is in the major scale. Im pretty sure it's not, but I bet sometimes it jumps between the major and minor and sometimes int no particular at all. But alot of Iron Maiden's stuff is in the major scale though, and though I don't listen to similair bands so much, I could imagine that that is the case with them as well.

Yeah but MadeInNJ all I meant was that it's so universal now that it doesn't matter. They need not have ever listened to Iron Maiden to have heard the same composition. Of course that scenario would be hard to fathom but still I don't think there's necessarily a straight line. Either way I'm just splitting hairs. :erk:

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
well I wouldn't say that so much of AA stuff is in the major scale. Im pretty sure it's not, but I bet sometimes it jumps between the major and minor and sometimes int no particular at all. But alot of Iron Maiden's stuff is in the major scale though, and though I don't listen to similair bands so much, I could imagine that that is the case with them as well.

Seems we're both off. I did some research and both were pretty heavy on the minor scales. IM was known for their minor melodic scales more than anything. And yeah most multiple guitar metal bands now harmonize in that fashion.

Ok, I actually read in a book something like "Slayer speeded up the type of music that IM was playing and changed it into minor or off key" and then the first song I thought off was Run to the hills which during the chorus must be major, but I believe you and when I think about, yeah alot of their stuff is really minor.

Aye it's just been so long since I've played guitar and had to remember all this stuff. It's a shame really . . :cry: