What is the difference between prog and jazz fusion?

'67 I think? Nope, '68.

Either way, that song is so unbelievably heavy that metalheads that foolishly bash the Beatles, well, they aren't metalheads. Also they are idiots, but that's obvious. :D
JayKeeley said:
I didn't think you were joking, I thought you were being gay and lying like always.
hahahahaha awesome.

I think "Prog" is the most incorrectly used term in music. It's most frequently used to refer to that which is technical, as opposed to that which is truly progressive.

As for the difference between Jazz Fusion and Prog Rock... very little. I would say if you renamed either sub-genre, to either Rock Fusion and Prog Jazz, it would be self-explanatory. Both look to further a genre, one with a Rock foundation, the other other with a Jazz foundation.

Zod

Zod - you reminded me, I must check out more Kansas based on their influence on Symphony X.

NAD - have you given Sy X a chance yet? At least "Communion and the Oracle"? Also, PLEEEEEEASE check out Meads of Asphodel urgently.

Not yet, I shall soon though. What did I say the other day, I have 84 CD-Rs? No, it's closer to 100. I found a bunch in my car, on my floor, on the computer... gah. I've been hitting gold with them lately too, Summoning and Isis in particular.

Dunno what I can add to this conversation, except that Rush is considered to be the first 'prog metal' band as they were considered to be a metal band when they first came out. It doesn't really hold up to hindsight since they weren't heavy, but they were progressive and at the time considered to be metal. Yes and Genesis had a few 'heavier' tunes, but were not even close to being metal.

The first real prog metal CD was Watchtower 'Energetic Disassembly' which was totally metal and totally progressive. Most prog nowadays is just derivative Dream Theater fanboys, but some of them put out some good stuff. Andromeda is probably the best of that crop, since they are stellar musicians. Real prog has been renamed to either 'technical metal' or 'avant-garde metal'. Whatever, genre names are ludicrious anyway. Power metal? WTF?!!