What is the HEAVIEST CD/ Album of all time?

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
What do you consider to be the heaviest CD/Album of all time?

Listening to Suffocation's "Despise The Sun" EP inspired this thread for me. I really don't know that you can get any heavier than that EP. 5 songs that are the heaviest, most brutal metal I have ever heard. There are obviously thousands and thousands of death metal bands many are as heavy but not sure I have heard anything this heavy. Not only musically, but the production, everything is just brutally heavy. Amazing as well IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you consider to be the heaviest CD/Album of all time?

Listening to Suffocation's "Despise The Sun" EP inspired this thread for me. I really don't know that you can get any heavier than that EP. 5 songs that are the heaviest, most brutal metal I have ever heard. There are obviously thousands and thousands of death metal bands many are as heavy but not sure I have heard anything this heavy. Not only musically, but the production, everything is just brutally heavy. Amazing as well IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9YixR0A3U

Saw Suffocation a few years ago supporting Arch Enemy. I hadn't ever heard much of their stuff till then but they really impressed me live. Aside from this EP, what's their best full length record to check out?

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Far from the heaviest record in the world of metal (grindcore and black metal goes much heavier, no doubt).......... but if you truly love that record, you will know exactly what I'm saying.

Saw Suffocation a few years ago supporting Arch Enemy. I hadn't ever heard much of their stuff till then but they really impressed me live. Aside from this EP, what's their best full length record to check out?

Most would consider "Effigy Of The Forgotten" as their best full length CD. I personally like "Pierced From Within" the best. But "Effigy of The Forgotten" is considered their 'classic' album.

Why does heavy=fast? To me heavy music means something slower like slower like Crowbar. I'm not arguing your choices, just a thought.

I don't really know about the heaviest album (Maybe Far Beyond Driven...), but to me the heaviest song ever is Bury Me In Smoke by Down.

Why does heavy=fast? To me heavy music means something slower like slower like Crowbar. I'm not arguing your choices, just a thought.

I don't really know about the heaviest album (Maybe Far Beyond Driven...), but to me the heaviest song ever is Bury Me In Smoke by Down.

I agree fast doesn't = heavy. Suffocation is brutally fast but also slows WAYYY down and has brutally heavy groove parts too. The bass is really prominent and they tune down to make it heavier. Then you combine the almost inhuman gutteral vocals and it just makes for the heaviest shit I've heard.

Far Beyond Driven is nice, but not brutally heavy imo. Down is heavy for sure. But yeah Crowbar and those slower sludge type bands are certainly heavy just in a different way.

I agree fast doesn't = heavy. Suffocation is brutally fast but also slows WAYYY down and has brutally heavy groove parts too. The bass is really prominent and they tune down to make it heavier. Then you combine the almost inhuman gutteral vocals and it just makes for the heaviest shit I've heard.

Far Beyond Driven is nice, but not brutally heavy imo. Down is heavy for sure. But yeah Crowbar and those slower sludge type bands are certainly heavy just in a different way.

What the hell, I don't disagree?! Dude you getting soft? :err:

Yes, sloppy and inaccurate notes, lame fills...

Will all due respect Johnnie give me a break. inaccurate notes? That song was played exactly how they wanted it.I was written in the late 80's. You should go listen to more Suffocation songs, they are some of the best and most technical and brutal of any death metal band in history. They are considered innovators and most modern day Death metal bands look up to them.

One album that blows me away with its relentless savagery is Krisiun's AssasiNation. Fucking amazing record.
Nile are probably heavier than that Suffocation too - that song you posted first actually sounds like something off one of Deicide's worst two albums Insineratehymn or In Torment In Hell.

Whether the guy's a good drummer or not, I don't know, Johnnie will know better than me, just listen to those fucking kick drums though.

or

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dFfqdVDi0&feature=relmfu[/ame]

pantera far beyond driven,its abrasive,heavy and it sounds so damn loud,heavy is a personal choice,obviously there are plenty of death metal bands with brutal records but i only really like death metal live,ive heard some nile recently and have to say they are pretty damn full on.

Slayer - Reign in Blood.

Doesn't get any heavier than that album right there.

You can take all the blackest, darkest, deathest metal out there and they still don't measure up to this band or their album.

Slayer - Reign in Blood.

Doesn't get any heavier than that album right there.

You can take all the blackest, darkest, deathest metal out there and they still don't measure up to this band or their album.

I agree it is one of the best albums ever made for extreme music. But I still don't think it's that 'heavy'. It is certainly aggresive and rules but it's not one I would consider 'heavy'.

The first Sabbath's album is the heaviest one. It's about loneliness and despair. And that music's still pushing your neck down and down to the wet and stinking soil...
The music itself can't be heavy, whether it's turned down, fast, or slow. Only emotions it brings to you can make you heavy with thoughts or happy with a shiny carrot sticking up your asshole.
Black Sabbath made it heavy 40 years ago, and nobody else since then could make it any heavier.