The heaviest albums of all time

"I came to fuck the open wound
so hold it open wide..."

Acid Bath

\m/(><)\m/

I would have to agree with Masters of Reality. Sabbath are what metal is all about.

Close runner ups have to be Anathema - Serenades, that album is just heavy. Great punishing doom metal. :worship:

Also whoever mentioned Acid Bath, props! These guys rule.:headbang:

And as much as it pains me, Metallica's Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All are really heavy albums, the guitar sound just crushes your bones and really makes you feel like your are being hit with a sledgehammer.

Has anyone mentioned "Seasons in the Abyss"? Thats got war ensemble on it!!! One of the heaviest songs ever, and dont forget the title track! Oh, and dead skin mask!

fuck this album is just so consistent in its heaviness its unbeleivable, shame it was the last really great slayer album...

You guys defiantly dont know heavy, check out, anaal nathrakh - the codex necro, this is the heavies fuckin BM i have ever heard, i personally think its heavier than brutal death metal....

Some pretty heavy albums:

Dying Fetus - Killing On Adrenaline, Stop At Nothing
Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated
Brodequin - Instruments Of Torture
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To A World Below
Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance
Pessimist - Cult Of The Initiated
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Vader - LItany

Profånity said:
The only album on that list anywhere near as heavy as what i'm meaning is Effigy Of The Forgotten.
No German death metal? Fleshcrawl's Soulskinner is as heavy as fuck, which an insanely heavy guitar sound, crushing riffs, and ripping blast passages. Atrocity's Longing For Death was pretty damn heavy too.

Profånity said:
The only album on that list anywhere near as heavy as what i'm meaning is Effigy Of The Forgotten.

Not really. My definition of heavy differs from yours, it seems. All of those albums ARE heavy, much faster and rawer than for instance Black Sabbath. I'd also claim that they're A LOT heavier - Black Sabbath isn't exactly bone crushing or extreme in any way.

henrikmain said:
Not really. My definition of heavy differs from yours, it seems. All of those albums ARE heavy, much faster and rawer than for instance Black Sabbath. I'd also claim that they're A LOT heavier - Black Sabbath isn't exactly bone crushing or extreme in any way.
Bump on that. Most modern brutal death metal (Suffocation, Nile, Fleshcrawl, etc.) is much heavier than Black Sabbath in terms of guitar tone and riffage IMO. But I agree that Black Sabbath's early albums were heavier for their time than the aforementioned bands are for theirs, since nothing else was nearly as heavy as Sabbath back then, whereas there were tons of heavy brutal death metal bands out there in the 1990s and obviously still are today.

I'd say Crowbar's Odd Fellows Rest and Broken Glass are much heavier than Time Heals Nothing.

Death - Leprosy
the ultimate dry heavy killer sound of death metal... and the riffs are fantastic

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
razorblade sharp sound and growl that can kill the living and raise the dead....
usually i have no problem waking up with DM and BM but not Obituary.....
This was rather a painful expirience.... :headbang:
Fear Factory - Obsolete
I dont like some of their material but this is a definitly quality album...