What is the measure of success for a underground metal band?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Just how does a underground metal band become successful? How many cd's do they have to sell, how well do they have to do on tour, or is a underground metal band successful merely if they release an album that expands the world of metal?

It all depends on your definition of success as well.

Going mainstream/being very lucrative..or gaining mass popularity within the "metal underground" and remaing "underground" because they are too abrasive for the general public.

Underground bands don't sell any CD's.

They make 50 CD-R's and give them to their friends.

If you sell one record that makes you a sell-out.

All sarcasm aside, it is strange how an underground band can be "popular"

I don't have a clue in other words.

Instead of asking my usual philosophical question, I think I'd just like to know how many albums does a band need to sell- to even be allowed to go on tour?

Ultimate_Symphony said:
The best example of success by a metal band is Metallica, when Metallica was still metal that is.
Even ...And Justice was very succesful. By the Black Album times they changed more towards mainstream, but during the Justice era they were the ultimate metal success story. I can see that happening with Opeth and In Flames (though they have changed more towards mainstream (they are no where near nu-metal yet though)).

Just how does a underground metal band become successful?
The internet, touring, and a good label.

speed said:
Just how does a underground metal band become successful? How many cd's do they have to sell, how well do they have to do on tour, or is a underground metal band successful merely if they release an album that expands the world of metal?
I wouldn't say that success for an "underground" band is about money...
I'd define it more as a matter of respect and recognition, such as the respect Emperor and Suffocation receive for example