what is up with night shows?

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
another what is up with thread by saYer.

so, why do shows have to start around 8 and end at like 2 after midnight?
that screws me up bad, I usually have classes the next day, + I would enjoy a good day show anytime. Is it true that in the 80's the thrash shows were day shows?, I mean I have a bonded bblood bootleg vhs were the show ends, people go outside and it is still sunny as fldnk. You know that kind of 80's sunshine over leather jackets, awesome stuff.

I like shows being at night. The only bad thing in Melbourne is that for some REALLY stupid reason the suburban trains stop running at 12:30am (and start again at 5am), and considering most shows finish about 1-2am I have to either find a lift, pay for a taxi, or on weekends get a Nightrider (all night bus which takes ages) to get home, or hang in the city at a strip joint until the first train.

They are talking about making the trains run all night now finally though so that will be good. I don't know why they didn't already, they do in Sydney. Melbourne is a pretty big city (2nd biggest in Australia) and has more of a nightlife culture than Sydney does too, trains should have been running all night for a long time!!

Of course I could just drive lol, but that means I can't drink. Plus my car has been out of action for months so I can't drive at the moment anyway.

I agree 100%. I'd go to a bunch more shows if the headliner played at 8:00, instead of 10:00 or beyond.

It's not worth it to me to stay up until 2:00 in the morning (adding in the drive home from the club), and then have to get up at 6:00 for work.

Yeah, it bothers me as well... What harm could do a show that actually started at 20:00h?! Here, if it's even advertised to start at 20:00, it's usually at least an hour later... :erk: Not to mention shows starting at 23h or even later...

The big shows here start at 7.30pm and you'll be on your way back home by 11!

This jogged my memory a bit though...one of the first shows me and my mates went to started at 10pm and finished at 2am, we had to bail at 1...and we'd turned up at about 6/6.30 :D that was a fucking blast. Now I think about it, I'd love it if more shows were like that...all afternoon/evening to hang with your mates and get drunk, then all night rocking out :headbang:

Oh come on folks sleep is for the dead anygoddamnway!!!!! :D :loco: :Spin:
I work 2nd shift on Mon thru Thur. from 1530 to 0130 and on
Sat. at my other job from 1730 to 0100 so it's either Fri. or Sun.
for me too see any shows. So be happy you get to see shows during
the week.

Many reasons I would support earlier gigs:

Less chance of having to drive in the fog after a gig.
This geezer has a harder time with the stresses of lateness.
Easier on the family life the next day.
Less likely to fall asleep at the wheel.

I would definitely support earlier gigs because most of the time the ones here are during the weekday and my husband works very early so we can´t go because they get out way too late. I don´t mind so much when shows run late on the weekend because then it doesn´t matter (unless it is a Sunday but I´ve never heard of a show on a Sunday here so far). It would not be such a big deal if shows were late if the public transportation ran past 12 but it doesn´t so for now, I have to give up going to all the shows I would want.

The saYer said:
another what is up with thread by saYer.

so, why do shows have to start around 8 and end at like 2 after midnight?
that screws me up bad, I usually have classes the next day, + I would enjoy a good day show anytime. Is it true that in the 80's the thrash shows were day shows?, I mean I have a bonded bblood bootleg vhs were the show ends, people go outside and it is still sunny as fldnk. You know that kind of 80's sunshine over leather jackets, awesome stuff.
Went to many a show in the 80's maybe only 5 being day shows which were usually weekend festivals. the only day shows in know were: Day on the Dirt, Day on the asphalt and the Monsters of Rock started mid day. Ozzfest is a day show, but for me I have to work and it's a pain either way....gigs that start too soon it's hard to leave work early and deal with traffic (gotta love L.A.) or shows that start and end later,,,,the next day is hell at work but I always manage to suffer through it in the name of AWESOME LIVE METAL! It's either a win/win situation or lose/lose. I'm just happy most bands come to L.A. and as the saying goes 'I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD' :D

well I would prefer a day show even if I didn't have to get up afterwards, hey imagine a show at like 8 am on a weekday, wouldn't that be something new?

Most promoters are going to try and get as many people at the show as possible. Most students go to school in the daytime and most people work daytime hours. THis gives people time to get off work/school, get things in order, eat and travel to the show. If they were to start earlier, they would probably lose some attendance. Some people can't make the travel to get there for an early show.

Bryant