What is your favorite prog rock band? (no prog metal here)

I could never get into the weird, proggy prog meandering bands. The kind that you have to be high to listen to. It just never did anything for me.

These sorts of songs don't need drugs because they are drugs. :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have a mostly metal/prog-metal background, which I only got into within the last few years, so take what I have to say with a grain of "metal" salt.

Check out Haken - Aquarius. It's about one third metal, two thirds hard rock, and 100% prog. It is, hands down, my favorite album of 2010. They only have the one album so far, but they are destined for greatness. If you claim to like prog, you must at least try this album. I literally listened to this every day for at least a month.

Another one I recommend: Forgotten Suns - Innergy. Their earlier albums were prog-rock. However, Innergy ramps it up by working in some metal, and like Aquarius it combines the best elements of both, while avoiding most of the more obnoxious aspects of metal. Don't get me wrong, I mostly love metal, but some aspects of it (especially the drumming), drive me nuts after awhile.

Also, I hate to say it, but you can count me among those who could never get into Porcupine Tree

If Pain of Salvation can be considered prog rock, they will top my list.
I do, however, find their arrangements to sound more-so like metal, even though 75% of the music is not heavy.

Here are some others that I enjoy:

After
Pinkroom
Arena
Enchant
Frost
Anathema
Abigail's Ghost
Pineapple Thief
Alias Eye
Anti-Depressive Delivery
Katatonia

Again, some of these have metal vibes, but whatever.

Oh, and I'm also noticing that I am starting to enjoy prog rock more than prog metal these days...

Ahh!! This question is a good one. I can't say I have a favorite.
I'd have to say, ELP, Rush and YES are my 3 most listened to ProgRock bands. I like a lot of Old Genesis songs, but I can't put them on there, because I don't have enough songs that I know I like by them.

Hmmm... Cut me some slack for my lack of prog knowledge... I'm not even 16... Hahaha!

Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Yes
Emerson, Lake, And Palmer
Queen
Riverside
Rush
Genesis
Van Der Graaf Generator
Transatlantic
Caravan
Pain of Salvation
Seiges Even
Muse (O.K. I know... Just try to ignore this one if you can :/)
Ayreon (IF that counts?!?!?!)
Subsignal

Edit: I've always felt the exact same about Pink Floyd.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pink Floyd is like my fav... King Crimson is my second. Just a lil opinion cuz I was raised on 'em. :loco:

And I just love the songwriting and everything about their music.

Russel Allen agrees also ;).

Rishloo
Anathema
Riverside
Fair To Midland
Marillion
Blackfield

My favorite Older Bands are Yes, Kansas, Uriah Heep, Gentle Giant & Pink Floyd

Anyone here into Kaipa? Their latest album is fantastic!

I have Angling Feelings - it's pretty good but I prefer it in small doses. Seems like lots of newer prog bands would benefit immensely from just editing/trimming down their albums!

I have Angling Feelings - it's pretty good but I prefer it in small doses. Seems like lots of newer prog bands would benefit immensely from just editing/trimming down their albums!

I'm not a big fan myself. Some good songs though. Skilled musicians and writers.