What is your favorite prog rock band? (no prog metal here)

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
So I see a lot of threads about progressive metal here, but none of progressive rock. Most people would say there isn't that much of a difference, but I think there definately is. I have so many favorites but I'd say my top are Hourglass, Glass Hammer and Spock's Beard.

My favorite at this point would definitely be Marillion. (thank you Kenneth :D) "Happiness is the Road" alone is enough reason to have this band as my favorite prog rock band.

Next would be The Tangent, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, and to a lesser extent Änglagård

There's also the relatively recent discoveries: Alcest, Sigur Ros, Disperse, and Antimatter

All great music.

Where did you find all those bands? itunes and wikipedia have really helped me find the real no name prog bands and I love it. I am going to spend a good chunk of my next pay check on underground prog rock bands. I'll check out those bands you listed.

Edit: congratulations on your 666th post :)

haha

Well I found the best source of new bands for me to be people whom I know have a similar taste in music as mine. :)

Too many, I couldn't possibly decide. If I were forced to choose which was the best, as far as innovation, quality, consistency, etc., I'd have to give credit where credit is due to the King. But so many progressive bands have pioneered their own amazing sounds that having a favorite seems pointless. But along with King Crimson, candidates include: Gentle Giant, Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Genesis, and Van der Graaf Generator.

As for modern prog bands, some are okay and you can count on them for decent retro-progressive releases, but the type of innovation and magic you saw in the early 70's is just not there, save in a few more metal-flavored bands (Fates Warning being the real last bastion of progressive music, IMO).

I think we 've got to write about favourite prog bands in 70's,80's,90's.
Foor the 70's,I choose Genesis(Gabriel era),then Yes,van der graaf generator,Camel,Jethro Tull ,Kansas and italians like Le Orme,PFM,Banco,Balletto di
Bronzo.
For the 80's,Marillion no matter what singer,then IQ,Twelfth Night,Pendragon,
Pallas,Aragon.
For the90's,Echolin,Discipline;Spock's beard (only with Neal),Neal Morse,Transatlantic,Flower Kings,Ritual,Anekdoten,Arena.

My favorite at this point would definitely be Marillion. (thank you Kenneth :D) "Happiness is the Road" alone is enough reason to have this band as my favorite prog rock band.

Next would be The Tangent, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, and to a lesser extent Änglagård

There's also the relatively recent discoveries: Alcest, Sigur Ros, Disperse, and Antimatter

All great music.

All of these.

I just do not get Porcupine Tree. How anyone can take a genre as over-the-top as prog rock and make it boring is beyond me. I mean, yeah they're playing but so what, you know?

Well, there are lot of great Prog Rock bands that I listen to, so it's really difficult to pick just a few, but here are some of them:
Camel, Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Genesis (Gabriel era, needless to say :) ), Marillion, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Magma, etc... I would also like to mention few bands from ex-Yugoslavia like Smak, Korni Grupa, Tako, Leb i Sol, etc...

A lot of great choices and I'll like to add a few that weren't mentioned...

Naikaku
Taal
Karmakanic
Present
One Shot
Opeth's Damnation disc