What Nevermore song has the best lyrics?

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Seven Tongues Of God - because "programmed to desecrate the pretensions in your mind" is a fucking awesome line.

Next In Line - perfectly captures the feel of being lost in the soulless corporate machine.

The Tiananmen Man - Every time I listen to this song, I feel like I am the dissident who refused to yield before his oppressors

Beyond Within - Excellent imagery in the song, and it captures a wide range of desperate emotions

Deconstruction - Asks all the questions we are afraid to contemplate, let alone answer, and does it a profoundly poetic manner.

The Lotus Eaters - Because faith is only mass superstition

We Disintegrate - Again, just some incredibly brilliant lines: "Within the dark communion of self-awareness..."

Insignificant - As an existentialist, I identify with this song's fatalistic attitude...we are equally worthless in the grand scheme of the world.

Originally posted by Demonspell

The Tiananmen Man - Every time I listen to this song, I feel like I am the dissident who refused to yield before the fascists

LISTEN MAN, IT'S ABOUT THE GODDAMN COMMIES NOT THE FASCISTS!!

Engines of Hate- "The sheep are made to follow, choke back the puke and swallow. The sheep are told to divide, the engines of hate still grind." Seems to sum up what the government and such tries to make us all be.

Deconstruction- "And on the eighth day God made the art of war, and laughing planned the end"

The Fault of the Flesh- "We are but flesh and flesh is the weakness, We are born of blood sinew and bone, We're all just spinning in this useless hole in time, On our way into the black unknown"

thats all i can really think of right now. i'm sure there are still some more that are amazing that i just can't think of right now.

My question is, what song doesn't have the best lyrics...

posts like this one and the one dealing with best guitar work are kind of no-brainers...all of them are great in my opinion.

Well I will have to agree with the opinion that these questions are not of great use. I mean who can leave out of this question songs like:
- Godmoney
- The sorrowed man, optimist or pessimist, in memory
- The learning (and the rest of the album)
- Dreaming neon black, the lotus eaters, no more will
- Evolution 169, believe in nothing, all the cowards hide

Well it is obvious that the above question cannot have intersubjective answers. But that is the way it should be, otherwise we would all be "sheep made to follow", wouldn't we?

Originally posted by LSDphilosophy
My question is, what song doesn't have the best lyrics...
I agree. Warrel is my favorite lyricist and I enjoy everyone of his words equally. He has that way of writing where he can confuse the hell out of you, have really genius play on words, or just have very simple lyrics that when come out of his mouth seem like so much more.

Believe In Nothing really tickles my fancy because I can totally relate to what Warrel is saying in that one.

Inside Four Walls brings up such a simple question, and the lyrics aren't in any way complicated, yet it proves such a great point.

Tienenmen Man is the definition of how a song about history should be written.

I can go on and on about how much Warrel's lyrics mean to me, but I think that should suffice for now :)

you know it pure evil...Every single word that Warrel has said is great in my opinion... I see the whole message in his lyrics not just the individual song message... Warrel definately has his own outlook on life and I always seem to agree with him...The psychedelic message lies within Nevermore, do you choose to see it

I know that Warrel's entire output is brilliant, and they're one of the few bands that have never once spoiled their music with substandard lyrics, but I'm sure that there will be some passages that fans will relate to and/or consider to be more enlightening than others...I'm just trying to get some good topics going in order to balance out the bickering here.

I love most of his lyrics,but there are some songs that have struck me because I've been thinking the same things at that time.Like The Learning,I was 16 then and that was my philosophy at the time...another song that speaks of sth I've thought about too,is The Hurting Words...I also love the line "we shall be one...for this sacrament...has began."Hmmm....The Passenger...argh I'm stoping here cause I'll mention them all

Exactly this is my point! If you hadn't stop there you would have mentioned them all! Actually I strongly believe that it is not specific rhymes that we all love; it is more the way he thinks and the way he expresses these feelings, so that he represents for most of the things that we stand for.

"The psychedelic message lies within Nevermore, do you choose to see it?"

Actually, I do see the psychedelic message. But i choose to interperet WD's lyrics in a different form.

Just as Death's -individual thought patterns- does, nevermore's lyrics make me think, and question, so i beleive Nevermore insights individual thought and a state of mind that is your own.

DNB is my favourite lyrically, because it makes me feel, and honestly, i never feel anything at all, no fear, no hurt, no emotion (only anger when people think they have to be stoned or bent to think for themselves!! Ha ha! jus' kiddin dude!).

Also, it may be interpereted that -42147- is about an LSD trip, right? I agree, this is what it is written about from WD's perspective. Perspective is the key word. It is only a trip if you see it fit to see it that way. Nevermore has challenged the listener to question from the start, so i have done just that, and questioned what a read, taken an alternate perspective to that of which i see first. -42147- in itself is a trip, from the lyrics, to the 'journey' of the music.

You may trip, and then listen to nevermore. But i listen to nevermore (POE and DNB) and trip. It's all in your perspective dude... all in the way you see things!

Actually, my favourite WD line is that from CENOTAPH, "-Behind the wall, the dreamer lies in velvet sleep. She must be still, never make a sound-". The wall being a consumation of thoughts that are not your own, an acceptance of what is said to you, in that your mind 'sleeps', not thinking for itself. 'She must be still, never make a sound' is the thought that you must not question, you must not speak out, you must 'never make a sound'.

Hows that for a different perspective? :)

Reactions: Asyrius