What Recording Software ( Lamb of God pics )

Kazrog said:
A lot of that has to do (presumably) with PT HD processing the audio internally at 48 bits regardless of your session's bit rate. None of the other apps do this, the highest they ever process at is 32 bits.

I read they did that because they got fed up with 'engineers' who didn't understand how to sum without distortion.. Now you can krank 48 channels up to +12db's and have your masterfader around -60 db (or something) for nice unity gain without the risk of busoverload.

Djeez, just put all your channelfaders at -15 db, start mixing there... :lol:

moose209 said:
wow - machine knows his shit - I'm suprised he's using Logic - I think it sounds like shit - but it aint the tools you use but how you use them - and he's the successful engineer and I'm the bum so what do I know.

Still think Logic sounds weird - kinda flat.
try a different panning law

Mulder said:
I read they did that because they got fed up with 'engineers' who didn't understand how to sum without distortion.. Now you can krank 48 channels up to +12db's and have your masterfader around -60 db (or something) for nice unity gain without the risk of busoverload.

Djeez, just put all your channelfaders at -15 db, start mixing there... :lol:

Yeah that's a big part of it. But it does rule!

gumplunger said:
The LE systems are pretty shitty, imo. I'm using a Digi002 with Cubase SX 3 until I can afford an HD system

How can you do that?
Have you found drivers on the internet that let cubase sx3 recognize all the digi002 inputs?
I ask you this, because digi002 drivers won't let you use it with no other software.

Edit: Nevermind I've found http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=3&itemid=23087

You could already use Digi hardware with Digital Performer without installing any extra shit, that's how I used my 002R before I sold it. I was using my 002R mainly just for live recording at venues...and as Shane said it's great for that. However I recently bought an 828mkII and have my first outing with it tonight with a live show recording. I haven't really tested the setup yet, but I'm confident it will yield better results than the 002R did.

I wouldn't recommend a 002R (or any PTLE hardware for that matter) if you're looking to outfit a studio. If it's for location/live show recording, it works, but honestly you can save a lot of money if you're getting something for the studio by going a different route. With the cost that is involved with the competing interfaces out nowadays, you really are getting a steal. I'd rather even spend the extra $300 and get an RME FireFace800 rather than a 002R. MUCH better quality at $300 more. Hell, you could even go with a Mackie Onyx 1200F...IMHO I think thats even better than the 002R. There's so many options out there and unless you are going big and getting the ProTools|HD system...don't get ProTools.

Also about certain host's sounding flat or whatever....you're out of your mind dude. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true. Host applications don't sound different (frequency wise), only panning or summing wise, as was already stated.

~e.a

Acle from Tesseract has just brought an RME to replace his 002R and reckons its the shit - and from what I've heard - and I'm a 002 fan ithe RME does indeed sound very sweet and at a good price too £800ish on Thomann I think I saw it for. But I agree for live recording or even as a laptop to venue interface for sequencer work it is the mutticus nutticus.

RME FireFace vs. 002R? No fucking comparison. The converters are just out of Digidesign's LE league. Plain and simple.

~e.a

I like Nuendo - its simple and intunitive, and works well.

Athough I think most of the "big boys" all use Pro-Tools

Rig,

Millennia STT-1 Origin Twin
RME Fireface800
RNC 1773
Nuendo 3
Waves
ADK 51TT
UAD Plug-ins
SM57's , Rhode NT-1, SM58's