what should i work on now

bodombeach321

New Metal Member
Jul 28, 2004
highlands ranch colorado
Ok i have been playing guitar for aobut 2 year snow and i can play all teh modse and and now alot of sonbgs and now im stuck on what i should do i have been trying to shred with a metranome or w/e and its getting better cuz i can now go faster but idk if i sohuld work on arpeggios or what cuz sweep is soo hard and i need ideas on something good to practice that really helps u liek i can inside pick and do alot of techniques but i just need an idea on what i should do next

well work on double palm mutting songs. keeping it clean. keeping it on time. most important thing imo.

playing solos is one thing but if you cant play clean then you suck.

now ok when u mean clean do u mean like slow songs or just soloing in like a claen tone or do u mean like distoted but no mistakes and what else should i do to solo i cant solo worth shit i cna only really shred i mean i need help on taht too

Work on playing clean and most important being expressive and perfeccionist. If you don't have these goals in mind you'll end up being a absolutely horrible guitarist, even tough you might be able to shred your ass off. Guitarists who only practice licks after licks sound so amateurish it's not even funny. Francesco Farreri anyone?

Don't just practice licks. Write songs, and record them if you can. Try to sound professional, if you know what I mean. When I say expressive I mean making your playing sound consistant and solid, really, as opposed to sounding shaky and amateurish. I think it's all about trying to be perfeccionist and sounding good. Having said that, developing technique is very important as well, IMHO. Practice your 2, 3 and 4 note per string alternate picking licks, arpeggios on 3, 4, 5 and 6 strings using sweep picking and/or tapping. These are just examples of stuff I practice to get my chops in shape. After you feel more confortable with those techniques, try to apply them in a musical context, improvising over some progressions. This is the way I do it, the way that works for me. You should find out what works for you.

I always felt you can learn quite a lot by writing/playing your own stuff, as you'll write "better", more difficult stuff as you improve.

so I'd recomend to write some stuff (but I'm not exactly what you'd probably call a really good guitarist, so..... ;) )

well i do record my own songs i mean i have like 5 or 6 of em and i practice everything till its perfect liek when i shred i go down and up and down and up the whoel neck until its sounds perfect i cant do arpegios i need seriosu help with them its reall weird like i make everything so8nd perfect but sometimes its hard what do u mean by 23 and 4 string alternate picking i mean i alternate pick eevery singerl thing i do pretty much but i jsuyt dont know what u mean like going down the scales or what?

Two note per string, three note per string and four note per string patterns.

D|---------7------7-9----7-9-10--|
A|--7-9-10--9-10-----10----------|

That's an example of a 3 note per string pattern, where you only use 3 notes of each string. Obviously that goes up until you run out of fretboard.

Listen to the guitarists you like and check if you're actually sounding perfect, as you say. Excuse my honesty, but if you've been playing for two years, you're probably just thinking it's perfect. Work harder to make things sound better than they do now. I think that's the right attitude no matter how long you've been playing.

This is the problem with alot of guitar players now days, they all want to rip leads, bust licks in peoples eyes and thats all good. but how many chords do ya know? that is the key to playing and being able to jam with people

Don't memorize chords in different positions. Learn how they're created and how they relate to scales.

Arpeggios are the tones of a chord played in sucession. What you can do to practice sweep picking is to take a scale, write down the seven triads and form 3, 4, 5 and 6 string shapes with the notes of each triad and practice them VERY SLOWLY at first, focusing on coordination between your hands. I'll give you an example:

This is a 5 string pattern for a G major triad, which is the triad formed at the 1st degree of a G major scale, among others:

E|--------------7--10--7------------|
B|-----------8------------8---------|
G|--------7-----------------7-------|
D|-----9----------------------9-----|
A|--10--------------------------10--|
E|-----------------------------------|

Do it real slow until you have decent hand coordination. The pick movement is one continuous stroke from the 5th string to the 1st and another continuous stroke on the way back. Don't alternate pick anything (the three notes on the 1st string are playing in legato, it sounds more fluid this way).