What size is your monitor/screen for your DAW? I'm getting a new one..

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I've been using two 19" (not widescreen) for my DAW for a few years now..
While I love using two screens vs. only one, I'm considering getting a single 24" Wide..
I could go for a 27" but I fear it will be too big for my desk / I'll be sitting to close to it.. and it also costs a lot more than a 24"..
Another alternative would be to go for two 22" since they're cheaper than a single 27".. although they'd fit even less..

I'd go for a single screen as large as possible. It's actually faster to switch between the mix and edit windows (in Pro Tools at least) on a single screen than to constantly drag the mouse back and forth between two screens, plus you get more real estate for editing.

I have 2 Asus 23" monitors and love the setup. It's definitely personal preference if you want 1 or 2 screens. Im way faster with 2 screens, but to each his own.

I'm using a single 27'', and my DAW of choice is Reaper with the White Tie Imperial skin. Couldn't be happier.

I use 2 x 24" screens. A nice Dell one for my main window and a cheap Benq one I scored off a mate as my secondary.

I use a reaper theme designed for big monitors so I have a 1920 x 1080 mixer on my secondary and i love it.

I'd go for a single screen as large as possible. It's actually faster to switch between the mix and edit windows (in Pro Tools at least) on a single screen than to constantly drag the mouse back and forth between two screens, plus you get more real estate for editing.

Agreed. I have a friend who always get on my case for not having 2 screens when he visits. Fuck that! I use numbers to switch between windows in Logic and a combination of a trackpad and magic mouse and I love this way of working. Dragging a mouse all over would be a huge pain in the ass to me. I already can't stand going from corner to corner and I use a very fast sensitivity.

Quoted for truth.... You'd think it'd be great, but It's just annoying as fuck!

I'm using a single 27'', and my DAW of choice is Reaper with the White Tie Imperial skin. Couldn't be happier.

Do you have the mixer docked? if so, how many track are visible in the tcp before you have to start scrolling down?

just trying to figure out how much realastate im going to gain going from a 21" to a 27" in the arrange view with the mixer docked. Right now i can only get about 2-3 which is a huge pain in ass as i really don't like switching between mixer and arrange view. Thanks.

No I do not dock the mixer; the White Tie Imperial theme does not work with the mixer docked. So I use Ctrl+M.

However, I just checked, using the default 4.0 theme, if I dock the mixer and shrink it to its lowest setting possible, and zoom out on the track pane as much as I can, I can fit 25 tracks before starting to scroll down. The mixer also accommodates all 25 tracks plus the master bus without having to scroll side-ways.

I wouldn't work like this, but it should give you a sense of scale if you do the same on your screen.

Honestly, I used to dock the mixer, but getting used to switching to it made my life waaay easier. Also, use track manager to remove tracks your not going to need on the edit screen (scratch guitar tracks, tracks that are being bussed etc).