What song...

Human Desert

Pirun Morsian
Nov 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
www.thalesband.com
Reminds you of someone you miss? Who and why?

HIM - The Sacrament. Makes me think of my friend who's away for a bit over a year, because i saw HIM live with her last summer and we went crazy when they played that song :p I want her back hereeeee, grrr :p

Reminds you of something beautiful, and what was it?

Evanescence - Hello. Christmas eve night when it was freezing outside and loads of untouched snow everywhere, i went outside listening to that song on repeat. It was the most beautiful thing ever! Everything looked blue and it was soooo quiet outside, and the untouched snow and frozen trees made it look unreal, like a dream. The song fit it perfectly. I felt more lonely than ever in my entire life just then, and had frozen tears on my face but it was all soooo beautiful. I want to live through that night again! (without the nightmares i had after that though)

Before The Dawn - 4:16 AM. Also in the winter when there was lots of snow, i always used to go on the big fields behind our house, and i just lied in the snow for aaaages listening to this song on repeat and staring at the pink/orange sky. It was always such a great feeling. Nothing mattered then, i felt empty as fuck, but it was so good to be alone then. Ahhh *wants winter* :p

Reminds you of 'good old times', what?

Blazing Eternity - Cover Me With Your Eyes. Kind of reminds me of good times when things started going wrong. When i was so happy and so sad at the same time, and kind of lost. I love that song. Memories of last summer when great stuff happened, but then it all just kind of fell apart, and i missed those things listening to this song and crying :p

Brings back sad memories, what?

Nightwish - Dead Boy's Poem, Blazing Eternity - Monument, Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. When my cat died i just lied on the bed every day waiting for him to jump there next to me, listening to these songs. And every time i realised he wouldn't come there anymore i burst into tears and cried so much that i couldn't breathe. I had a playlist for him and it was all i listened to for ages, and those were the songs that made me cry the most.

and again Evanescence - Hello. Because it was on repeat the night when i felt worse than ever and lied on my cats' graves crying, and had a nightmare of one of them dying all over again :/

Makes you daydream of something good, what?

Hmm..I can't think of a song like this right now. There might be one but i can't remember :p Shall add it later maybe.

Made you cry when you first heard it, why?

Anathema - One Last Goodbye. Doesn't it make everyone cry? Just because it's so damn sad.

Rapture - Sidkal. Can't remember why but i was in a terrible mood when i got this song and cried soooo much with the song on repeat for hours, haha.

Evanescence - Hello. Beautiful song.

Makes you cry every time you hear it, why?

No song like this at the moment. There have been songs like this though..the latest one was Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - The River Flows Frozen. Couldn't listen to it without bursting into tears, because it made me feel lonely and miss something/someone.

Makes you smile every time you hear it, why?

Quite a few of these probably. Some funny songs that bring back funny memories, like Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy :eek:

Gods those "what, why" things sound stupid but i couldn't figure out another way to put it :p And my replies sound really tragic, haha.

Pete Murray- So Beautiful

My best friend from high school, Elsie, we got together briefly after we graduated. I haven't spoken to her for about a year and half. This song is like it is written for my current stance on her.

Anathema- Angelica

I remember sitting in my car listening to this, on top of a mountain when I was driving down to the coast for a weekend. I sat in the car watching the sunrise over the ocean and the flat land below the mountain. Not a soul around, it was nice and probably one of the most introspective moments I have ever had.

Anything by Ac/dc.

Parties in my mates garage every weekend, listening to accadacca and playing pool, getting really shitfaced and passing out on a the cement floor. :kickass:

the whole album Jeff Buckley - Grace

Stuff with me first serious girlfriend.

Amorphis- day of your beliefs

It just makes me generally happy and dreamy

I have never actually been moved to tears by music. It takes a lot to make me cry, I tend to express things differently

see above

Waaaaay to many songs to list.

The past couple of days, anything from Before the Dawn - 4:17am makes me think of... uh, guess. :p Longer term, there's an old chart song that went "all that she wants, is another baby, she's gone tomorrow but all that she wants is another baby..." or something like that, I dunno, but it reminds me of my friend who died a few years ago because when that song first came out he'd always sing "all that she wants is a jelly baby" and it always made everyone laugh. We were young at the time, shush.

I can't think of anything in particular. Might come back.

[edit]Oh, yes, Anathema - Are You There?? reminds me of my best friend. :p [/edit]

Anything from Iron Maiden's albums Piece of Mind and Powerslave. They were the only metal albums my old best friend Rob liked, and when him and his family lived with us for a bit me and Rob used to listen to it in my room (well, I shared it with him) and sing along and just throw this ball to each other or play on a really crappy computer game that we both got addicted to. Even though I absolutely hated him and his family living there, singing to those albums with him was fun.

Then there's Opeth's Morningrise album. I first listened to it when I was on holiday in Majorca, and I was just completely blown away by it. I'd never experienced that from music before. Being addicted to that album on that holiday was amazing, there's not a lot I wouldn't give to have that feeling back for a while.

Rapture - Sidkal. I had this on repeat for days during a period of heartbreak, rejection, fear, worry, dread, helplessness, uselessness, unimportance... and so on late last summer. It made a comeback during this winter, for similar reasons.

[edit] My Dying Bride - Heroin Chic brings thoughts so bad that I actually can't stand the song and won't listen to it. [/edit]

Any Before the Dawn song makes me look forward to seeing them live this July. :p

Anathema - One Last Goodbye. Why yes, it does make everyone cry.

Mikey Smith - On the Wing. Does it really need an explanation??

Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression. Just a really sad and hopeless song, which was pretty much what I was feeling when I first heard it.

Metallica - One. I was only about 4 or 5 when I heard it, and the sounds of war at the start and fast-paced ending scared me too much. :lol:

Mikey Smith - On the Wing. Again, I don't think I need say more. Also One Last Goodbye still might bring a tear to my eye, but it's not proper crying so it doesn't count.

Aaron Carter - Crush On You. :lol: But loads of songs do this, sometimes just because they're great songs and I can't help it, sometimes because of what I associate them with... far too many to begin mentioning.

Metallica - Battery. My old best friend's favorite song, and we were torn apart by his slut of a girl friend who thought i was trying to make them break up or some bullshit along those lines

The whole Haven Cd. I was out one morning, like 4 or 5, and i was sitting on a hill, and i watched the most beautiful sunrise while i had that cd on. But then it was ruined by some kids at 7 or so going to school, they walked past and yelled and attacked me :p

The whole In Flames - Reroute To Remain Cd. Me and all my friends used to just hang out in my basement with this on blast, *sigh*..the good ol' days

Metallica Pre-Black Album. That week after my best friends girlfriend tore us apart, we hung out once more and listened to all of his metallica cds (Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All) ,talked about things, and decided that it was best for us to never hang around anymore.

The Crown - Deathrace King. I really dont know why, but when i listen to that cd im just in my own world, and no one can get my out til' its all done.

Charon - Sorrowsong. The most beautiful song i ever heard in my life.

See above, it still does

Running Wild - Freewind Rider. Who doesnt smile to music about pirates? ARRRR!!! :D

OnyxDragon98 said:

Metallica Pre-Black Album. That week after my best friends girlfriend tore us apart, we hung out once more and listened to all of his metallica cds (Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All) ,talked about things, and decided that it was best for us to never hang around anymore.
Aww, bah :( Shouldn't have let a girl tear you apart :/

OnyxDragon98 said:

Charon - Sorrowsong. The most beautiful song i ever heard in my life.
Ah yes, that song goes on my list too. I'd had it for aaages but i'd never listened to it, then once when i was really down and looking for sad music i noticed it in some folder and thought that it might be sad because the name implies so, and jesus i cried when i heard it! Had it on repeat for a few days and cried, hehe. And yeah it's one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard too. It's so sad :(

Strange but i don't think i really miss anyone.

An album called Skydancer by that one swedish band you've probably never heard of :p
Wintry night, starry sky, snowy fields, the best album ever made. Great times.

-

-

-

-

Stevie Wonder - I just called to say i love you

My sister has this karaoke thing and every single time we're drinking here at my place we totally rape that song. Mostly with Death Metal style or with Justin Timberlake voice :p

Carnival in coal - fucking hostile

Funny cover :)

Only answered less than half of the questions.. maybe i'll add something later

opeth - closure. because i broke off a relationship which i probably could have saved with a little effort. we used to hear that tune quite often, even or maybe because it was about "an end" and we both knew our relationship wouldn't last.

new model army songs: had loads of interesting conversations with interesting people while nma was on. also reminds me of travelling to various places.

machine head - block: used to hear that on the road quite often on the way to my first band's rehearsal.

nirvana - smells like teen spirit: those were the good old days when i never thought about tomorrow, or consequences, or anything. i just lived.

opeth - closure: see above.

anathema - regret: dito.

the doors - riders on the storm: just makes me daydream about freedom and stuff. hitting the road, leaving it all behind, etc.

none. oh well, herbert grönemeyer's "mensch" comes close though.

none.

kotipelto - beginning: because it's so horrendibly bad, and the vocals are fucked up beyond all recognition.

idari said:
Aww, bah :( Shouldn't have let a girl tear you apart :/

yah i shouldn't have but things were too hectic with the 3 of us, and my best friend choose his girlfriend over me. And now, 5 months later, he's completely forgot about me, and is really happy with his girlfriend.

Ah yes, that song goes on my list too. I'd had it for aaages but i'd never listened to it, then once when i was really down and looking for sad music i noticed it in some folder and thought that it might be sad because the name implies so, and jesus i cried when i heard it! Had it on repeat for a few days and cried, hehe. And yeah it's one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard too. It's so sad :(

i was just miserable (dont remember why) but i turned the song on for the first time and just started to cry because it was so beautiful :cry:

Alright...

Uhh...Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Sweetheart Come. I really really miss my girl. Another could be some different song about longing...there's a few that come to mind, but I'd probably pick The Old Dead Tree - How Could You?, because I got into them just before the incident. Obviously reminds of another person.

I feel stupid since I have to look up and think what I feel about which song...but...Dan Swanö - Add Reality. Just a general reminder of life and love.

Hammerfall - Always Will Be or Nightwish - Dead Boy's Poem. I'm not as fanatic about either of the bands as I was when I was around 14/15, but back then they were really important to me. Both just really emotional.....ah fuck's sakes the Czech scored...fuck you. Shit.

Pain Of Salvation - Idioglossia & Pantera - Hollow. These are just such intense songs that they raise a lot of feelings in me. Idioglossia usually reminds me of my dad, or just as well anyone I happen to be or have been pissed off with. The Pantera song...I used to...do...consciously dream all these scary, horrible things happening. I'm not asleep, but I have a hard time controlling my thoughts when I'm trying to fall asleep a lot of times. Happened more as a kid I suppose. A lot of those dreams involved friends or family dying, so Hollow is a pretty appropriate song.
I just thought of another little different song, which is Blind Guardian's Thorn. Actually I can't remember anymore who in Silmarillion it's about, but he...ah Maeglin...was a really really sad character.

This is a hard one. :p There's a ton of these too though I'm sure. Devin Townsend - Stagnant is a definite one. Just kinda has a good feeling altogether. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - (Are You) The One I've Been Waiting For, that one gives me all sorts of good jollies.

Fucking Czechs.

Pain Of Salvation - Morning On Earth.

I can't remember which songs made me cry the first time I heard them and which didn't, so many make me at least teary-eyed. Yeah, fucking Czechs, why do they have to be so good? :p
Pain Of Salvation - A Trace Of Blood has to be one...it's amazing how much emotion Gildenlöw can put into a song. Even though most people can't relate to the concept of miscarriage at all, the feelings that the song portrays are so very powerful. Dead Boy's Poem probably made me cry the first time I heard it, I was really touched by that song when I first heard it.
There's probably a few dozen Pain Of Salvation songs that do that to me...Falling, The Perfect Element, Fandango, People Passing By, Oblivion Ocean, Beyond The Pale, Reconciliation etc. etc.
Dream Theater - Space-Dye Vest. I can't believe I forgot this song for so long...Dream Theater will never make a ballad as good as this. Never. Not even Pain Of Salvation will make a ballad as touching as this (unless you consider Undertow a ballad). Moore is god.

Hey I used all the songs in the previous question! Just kidding. Well Space-Dye Vest tends to do that. The Perfect Element, Falling and such do that too...
I haven't listened to in ages, probably why I didn't remember it until looking at the title...Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow. That's just great, childhood written all over it.

Err, Devin Townsend - Satan's Ice Cream Truck? Well, it does. :) I'd say Happy Camper too, but that one doesn't make me smile if I'm pissed off enough. Bloodbath's Like Fire is just a general headbanging song, I don't like most of the full-length that much (and haven't heard the EP), but a few songs are great. That little drum thing Swanö does when the other instruments go quiet just makes me smile everytime, dunno why...I guess I just like that sound the middle of the cymbal makes. The lyrics aren't too serious either.
I don't know if there's many songs that genuinely make me feel happy instead of amused...Townsend's Slow Me Down perhaps, Bad Devil too (too bad I can't dance, cause I would during this song). Dark Tranquillity's Monochromatic Stains makes me smile everytime actually...a friend of mine and I had a total fest (forgive the foreign word) headbanging to this when a party started to become boring. Same would probably go for some classic Maiden songs if the memory didn't remind of How Could You? (see earlier answer)
Tarot has made some funny songs that can be found only on their homepage...total drunkedness with some damn funny lyrics.
King Herod's Song from Jesus Christ Superstar has a really funny mood, which is pretty obvious when you read the lyrics.
For the finns, Teuvo, Maanteiden Kuningas is an immediate feel good-song.

That's enough, I think...
Took pretty long, but at least you ppl get a summary of the Czech Republic - Denmark football game alongside too. Shame.

Idari you're such a Spine-whore. At least I'm mostly an InsideOut-whore these days. :p

OnyxDragon98 said:
The whole In Flames - Reroute To Remain Cd. Me and all my friends used to just hang out in my basement with this on blast, *sigh*..the good ol' days

Same way with In Flames for me too, only I associate memories to Tokyo Showdown. Reminds me of the summer 2001/2002. Haha I can't remember which. 2002 I'm pretty sure, I'm pretty sure I bought my 2nd album winter 2001 so it couldn't have been that summer...just reminds me of riding my bike in summer, writing an SMS and listening to the live album. Ghastly album to have memories associated with. :p I feel for you, too.

Dr.Dre featuring Eminem - Forgot about Dre. (shut up) :p It reminds me of my old best friend. This was our favorite song at the time right before he moved away. Our friendship was sort of falling apart around then, and when he moved,(even though it wasn't that far away) that finished it off.

Ulver - Themes from Willaim Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" (the whole album). Me and my best friend and my brother would lay down on the driveway at night and stare straight up at the sky, looking at the stars while having deep and interesting conversations. I was listening to this album a lot around then, so it reminds of of that. I think this is my all-time favorite album.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (the whole album). Me and my brother used to always listen to this while playing with legos when we were little. We would also dance to it.

nothing really. The only thing I can think of is The Cure - The Last Day of Summer. It reminds me of the last few days of august where I want every day to last as long as possible before school starts again.

Foo Fighters - MIA. Makes me think of going far away and starting a new life somewhere else and not coming back.

No songs have made me cry, but the ones that came the closest are Radiohead - Creep, and Devin Townsend - Things Beyond Things

same as above

Nomeansno - Cats, Sex, and Nazis. it's just funny and stupid.

Same way with In Flames for me too, only I associate memories to Tokyo Showdown. Reminds me of the summer 2001/2002. Haha I can't remember which. 2002 I'm pretty sure, I'm pretty sure I bought my 2nd album winter 2001 so it couldn't have been that summer...just reminds me of riding my bike in summer, writing an SMS and listening to the live album. Ghastly album to have memories associated with. :p I feel for you, too.

haha ghastly..i dont know, i liked it back then, but now im starting to loathe new In Flames. so yah, now its pretty bad to have memories associated with. :p

As for the 2 cry questions,I don't cry about much - last time I cried was when my Father passed away-

The Rammstein Mutter CD (fade version,all tracks fade after 3 minutes)
I'll start with the smile question - I like R+ , They are so Powerful - when I see Them play live (did 10x), I can't stop smiling/laughing - I'm overcome with something(happiness,joy) my emotion take me somewhere (probably out of my body) - and the song of Theirs that can take me to that place again is 5/4 - I don't play it much as its like a 5 min.31 sec. orgasm - a body can only take so much,even good things -
How can I explain/answer the other ques?ions -
This CD Mutter started something in my life that psychiarist,therapist and psychoanalysis have been hard pressed to understand , me too - They all made educated guesses, probably correct ones but the memory of this CD is for me - a mindfucker -
Much of this is so very personal - it all has to do with true friendship - or what friendships mean -
So this disc as in one thing leads to another caused me to look deep inside myself to a place I had never been - though things did not turn out as I hoped - I am after all of this a happy chappy - and I found this Group Dark Tranquillity - and Their Music has reached out to me and said " La Rocque,Listen Were talking to You" and that is a beautiful thing -
Thanks idari I thought *no one* would ever ask -

i'm not gonna write any long explanation. not even short ones. i'm just too lazy.

ark - missing you

king crimson - matte kudasai

iron maiden - the clairvoyant

pain of salvation - a trace of blood

dream theater - pull me under

no song. the closest one is shadow gallery - christmas day

no song. the closest one is dream theater - space-dye vest

dream theater - under a glass moon