'What song...' version II

Human Desert

Pirun Morsian
Nov 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
www.thalesband.com
What song...

Makes you miss someone + Who and why?

(Hed) Pe - Bad Dream. Reminds me of the time when my best friend had drug problems and he nearly got killed. The lyrics of that song seem like they're about him, he was just like that at the time.

Reminds you of something beautiful + What?

Scorpions - Wind Of Change. The same person as above. I danced with him while Avella was playing this song at my sister's wedding, and i was so happy that he was there and it was all that mattered. We sorted out some things that night, and i felt like i finally got him back.

Reminds you of the time when you were happier than ever + Why?

Opeth - Harvest. Reminds me of probably the best night of my life when i was happier than i've ever been. I was so happy that i couldn't sleep. I just could've exploded and i felt like i wanted to scream because i was so happy. That was years ago and unfortunately that happiness didn't last long.

Makes you think of losing someone + Who?

Nightwish - Dead Boy's Poem, Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. My cats.

Made you cry when you first heard it + Why?

Anathema - One Last Goodbye. Doesn't it make everyone cry? Just because it's so damn sad.

Rapture - Sidkal. I felt like shit when Rus made this and sent it to me, and i listened to it on repeat and cried for ages.

Evanescence - Hello. Beautiful.

Makes you cry every time you hear it + Why?

Anathema - One Last Goodbye. Because i only listen to it when i miss my cats.

Makes you smile every time you hear it + Why?

Günther - Touch Me. Makes me think of dancing like crazy and having fun.

Makes you think of a family member + Who and why?

Günther - Teeny Weeny String Bikini. My sister and her crazy poolparty last summer. I can still see her in front of me asking "aren't you wearing pants?" "I am, they're just tiny." then making this stupid dance move and singing teeny weeny string bikini. Also we danced to this in the bar.

Makes you think of a friend + Who and why?

K-System - Sound Of Arena. Netta and her funny dancing obsession.

Makes you regret + What?

Hmm.. Blazing Eternity - Cover Me With Your Eyes and Evanescence - My Immortal. They don't really make me regret, but they annoy me because they remind me of trusting someone who wasn't worth it and him betraying me.

Makes you happy + Why?

No song can make me feel happy if i'm not in a good mood, but when i am in a good mood, then: Keane - Somewhere Only We Know and Everybody's Changing. They make me smile and sing and feel all joyful..because they're cheerful songs.

Nice, I never did this before I dont think.

What song...

Dosed by RHCP - Miss the girlfriend - Listened to it on the night of our first kiss, then went on holiday for a week and had that album on repeat, now when I hear it it really takes me back

The Clarion Call - Falconer. Me and a friend got really drunk and at 2 in the morning went wandering towards this massive mountain like crevice singing that song... he fell in a river and I fell asleep next to the river... We never made it to the mountain but it was an awesome experience

Non Divine - At the Gates. The first time I heard this song I was hit with a wave of emotion, and of course that was the turning point for me. I became absorbed in metal.

Strapping Young Lad - Aftermath. My drummer used to fucking love SYL and he was a top bloke... just too many inner demons.

Extreme Necrotic audnance - Anaal Nathrakh. Id heard a demo with shite production and I loved it, then this proper pristine version is available and it was just so god damn evil. I over whlemed me... GO LISTEN TO IT NOW!

Theres nothing really, I always get emotional with Nightwish - Slaying the Dreamer

Suidakra - Darkane times. Have you heard it? Its so fucking ace, it builds up, builds up, BUILDDS up then boom, just more than you could expect. Marvellous opening track to Emprize to Avalon.... GO BUY IT.

When a blind man crys - Deep purple - My mother loves the song.

Loser - Ayreon.. cos we both love it and we are pretty much considered losers so we share the emotion it evokes.

Makes you regret + What?

Anything by Opeth... becaus eI didnt go see them live.

Makes you happy + Why?

Shadowland - Nocturnal rites. Such a jolly melody, and also really good heaviness

Black Winter night - Dragonforce... Happy melody, and it roooocckkkss!

Great thread. I don't know why threads like this one die.

What song...

Sometimes The Sins Of Thy Beloved - Until the dark and Theatre Of Tragedy - Siren remind me of two ex-friends, but that's only because they introduced me to those bands through those songs.

A lot of love songs lately. Disturbed - Darkness and Evanescence - Breathe no more remind me of great times at my father's house. Something Corporate - Konstantine reminds me of a relationship i don't want to remember, but it also reminds me of when i wrote the best thing i've ever written (imo).

Leb I Sol - Femme fatale and Helloween - In the middle of a heartbeat, because they remind me of the person i love the most in the world and because i'd never been happier than now that i'm with her.

Evanescence - Hello, Stone Sour - Bother and Seether & Amy Lee - Broken, because the last time i felt about to lose someone those three songs were the only ones that really meant something to me at the moment. I don't think i need to say whom i felt close to losing.

No song has ever done that, but the last time i cried i was listening to Lacuna Coil - Circle.

Evanescence - Hello.

Leb I Sol - Femme fatale and, to a lesser extent, Helloween - In the middle of a heartbeat.

Real family or biological family? If it's the latter (biological), Ill Niño - Unframed because of the part that says "Though she game me life / I wonder why she never even feared / That i would grow up so self-destructive / Fucked-up and indecisive". The guy's talking about his mother there, and sometimes i feel exactly like that.

Avril Lavigne - Nobody's home reminds me of my best friend because he's the one that told me to download the video (best music video i've ever seen) and because the song is pretty depressive (and the video is very depressive) and so is that friend.

Makes you regret + What?

Evanescence - Hello makes me regret all the horrible things i once said to the person i love.

Makes you happy + Why?

See "Makes you smile every time you see it?".

--

Edited: What song makes you cry every time you hear it?

What song...

Sometimes, DT's Away, Delight Away reminds me of my lost friend Christian, whom I havent seen in ages...It was his favorite song.

Therion - To Mega Therion. I always listen to Therion when I go hiking and this song is the one that reminds me the most about it. So many landscapes...

Mercenary 11 Dreams. That song reminds me a lot of last summer, which was the best I had yet.

No song does that for me...

No song made me cry after a first listening except Mozart's Lacrimosa simply because it's the saddest thing I heard...

Some songs make me cry but not every time I hear them, it depends on my mood.

CoB - The Nail. I don't know why, but this song always puts a smile on my face.

Lacuna Coil - To Myself I Turned reminds me of my little brother because the lyrics are almost describing exactly how he lives. And it's freaking me out.

uneXpect - Noväe. It reminds me of my friend Éric because he's the one who told me to listen to this song and he sure gave me good advice!

Makes you regret + What?

I never regret.

Makes you happy + Why?

Finntroll - Bakom Varje Fura duh. :lol:

What song...

Not now but it did a few months ago: DT - ThereIn... Good memories of the best show i ve ever been to (Firt Time i met Taliesin :) )

I guess the same as above :)

The time where I am happier than ever is now, but i cant think of a song

I dont remember the name of the song, but it was my Grandmothers favorite one (she died 6 or 7 years ago, she was like a mother for me)

Sentenced - Aika multaa muistot, lyrics makes me think to some very sad feelings I had at that time

It used to make me cry: Isabelle Boulay - "Parle-moi " . Reminds me of someone I loved but he didnt love me, and when I asked him to dance with me on that song, he went to dance with someone else. Now i dont care for that guy anymore so i wouldnt cry anymore when I hear the song.

Children Of Bodom - Wrath winthin, because I wish I could play the guitar solo init, and it always makes me smlie how lazy I can be because I dont work enough to improve my guitar skills

Metallica - Seek and Destroy, makes me think to my brother because he loves it

oh gosh--... do i have friends? I dont even remember what their favorite songs are!!!

Makes you regret + What?

The Eternal - Down, made me regret that i said to someone I loved him too quickly after we met and ruined the whole think. Dont care for that guy anymore either, but it was hard to forget him for a long time.

Makes you happy + Why?

Moonsorrow - Sankarihauta , because I love the guitar riff :headbang:

What song...

Heroes del Silencio “La Chispa”. Reminds me of my best friend who moved away because of a great job she was offered. We used to sing this song when the covers band played it each night at the bar, and always laughed at how we changed the lyrics on purpose (“y ahora estas en mi lista de promesas a olvidar” to “y ahora estas en mi lista de recuerdos a olvidar” which means “you’re now in my list of memories to forget”, which I think is a great line). The other songs they played that night also remind me of her, but this one stands out the most, as it’s not something I listen to frequently. It makes me wish she were still here.

L’Arc en Ciel “Flower”. Reminds me of Japan, of the sensation of discovery and freshness and adventure, which to me is beautiful. And Tenhi reminds me of Finland and darkness, snow, silence, and beautiful people.

Hmm Café Tacuba “Las Flores”. I went on a picnic with friends one and we had no radio and wanted music, and this was the only song whose lyrics we all knew, so I remember us singing it and laughing. It’s a happy song in general, I’ve listened to it drinking with friends in several occasions, at a concert in the mountains, at a river with other friends…

Tori Amos “I don’t like Mondays”. I was listening to it when someone literally walked away from me. And it was a Monday, heh. I’m good friends with the person now, but that feeling of losing someone remains. Also Transiberian Orchestra’s cd of Beethoven’s last night, mainly “This is who you are.” Reminds me of my high school boyfriend whom I loved insanely, and our breakup.

Hmm I didn’t cry but from the first moment they touched me and made me cry inside, heh. Most Anathema songs fit in this category, but mainly “Inner Silence”, “Fragile Dreams” and “One Last Goodbye”. Also Porcupine Tree “Feel so Low”. Well, there’s lots of songs that fit into this category, I love sad stuff.
Nick Cave’s cover of “Disco 2000” and Tori Amos’s “I don’t like Mondays” and her cover of “Total Eclipse of the heart”. Seriously, these people break my heart. I challenge everyone to listen to these songs and not feel anything. Impossible.

The only musical piece that’s ever had that crying effect on me is Tenhi’s Väre… the whole cd. I first listened to it under, err, very pleasing circumstances, and then later when I was feeling very sad about leaving Finland I kept playing it over and over. So now whenever I listen to the cd (which is only when I’m feeling sad in the first place) I remember those sad days and add the new sad experience to it, which unavoidably makes me cry.

Garbage “I’m only happy when it rains”, I love the lyrics. Anyway, tons of songs fit into this category, if I like the song it will make me smile.

Beatles “Love me Do”. My little brother and sister and mom were singing this song during a car trip. And my little brother and sister and me always sing Black Eyed Peas “My Humps” and my little sister sings Belanova’s “Por ti” beautifully. Lots, I guess. My cousin also plays in a Mexican rock band called Vaquero (and before Zurdok), so of course whenever I listen to his songs on the radio or mtv or whatever, I think of him.

I associate every single song/band I listen to with someone I know, usually the person I was with when I first listened to that, or the person who introduced me to that band. But what comes to mind is “Hurt” by NIN, because I remember singing it along with Rusty one morning.

Makes you regret + What?

Edguy “Until we Rise Again”. Makes me think of a guy I met and really liked, but I walked away without saying anything or asking to keep in touch. So the next day I made up my mind and went to find him, and saw him from afar, but I couldn’t work up the nerve to go and say something. So to me this song (and maybe Edguy in general) represents that lost opportunity… I really wish I had said something, even if the results were negative, at least I would be at peace with myself for having tried. So from then on I decided that I’d never be so shy and afraid again, and I wouldn’t give up before trying. So my motto after that has been “better to regret the things you do than the things you don’t do” and it’s worked. I really have no other regrets, because I understand that whatever the consequences were, it came from me “following my heart.”

Makes you happy + Why?

Music in general makes me happy. But I guess music I listen to with my friends makes me the happiest, no matter how bad it may sometimes be. 80s music in particular works, along with things I listened to in my early teens (grunge).

^YAY, I've made it into Undo's sig! Now I'm beyond happy :) Thanks for reviving this, great thread.

What song...

Anything by the Goo Goo Dolls. Normally I really don't like this band, but my girlfriend is in love with them and she's long distance, so it really reminds me of her.

Wintersun- Beautiful Death- This reminds me of my fantastic trip to Lake Tahoe, and it's beautiful skiing. On the drive back, the sun was out and small flecks of snow were pelting our window. It wasn't the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced, but I happened to be listening to this song at the same time. Usually there is no music when I'm truly serene and surrounded by pure beauty. The funny thing is, the moment I was expiriencing looked exactly like the album cover. If there were one song out of this post I would recommend, this would be it

In Flames- Zombie Inc.- There is no song that reminds me of the time I was happier than ever, but this song reminds me of an "era" when I was really happy. A few summers ago, when I was just getting into astronomy I had some of the best moments in my life. I remember going outside on nights alone in shorts, flip flops, a t-shirt and no music. The temperature was usually around 70 degrees, somewhat humid, and my lawn would be a bit moist. The conditions were truly perfect, for me atleast. I would just sprawl out on my lawn, basking in the tranquil star light and soak up all of the beauty above me. It was perfect, because there were no stray lights from my neighbor, only the subtle rustle of an animal. What made the experience even more enjoyable for me would be calling out constellation and star names, while letting their lyrical beauty absorb me. Names like "Aquila", "Deneb", "Lyrae", "Shaula", "Lesath", "Rastaban", "Tarazed", "Alshain", and "Sheliak" still seem to mesmerize me, every time I hear or say them. When I went inside I soothed myself to sleep with In Flames' "Colony" and this song always reminds me of that summer a short time ago. For some reason, when I go outside with friends and do this, it just isn't the same.

Any music hailing from Iran, because it reminds me of my Dad. For some reason I have this mortal fear of losing him, and this enhances the effect. I'd prefer to not describe it in more detail, because I'm very happy right now :D

Shinedown- "Fly From the Inside"- I didn't cry, but I felt really weird. It's one of the hardest feelings for me to relate to people, and I still have a hard time. I was neither happy, nor sad, just weird. I don't like this band anymore, but they made me feel like I never had before, so they get points :)

For me, music has to be beyond amazing to coax certain emotions out of me, and for some reason music hasn't made me cry yet. I haven't really experienced anything traumatizing yet, perhaps this is why. If there were a song I had to chose that makes me sad, it would have to be Fear Factory-"Human Shield", but it doesn't do much, it's just consistent.

Sonata Arctica- "The Cage"- This song is still a bit new to me, but the keyboard intro is so awesome, and I'm in awe everytime I hear it. I'm thinking it might wear off soon though :(

As I lay Dying- "Confined"- My brother and I both don't care for this band very much (My brother kind of likes this song a little, though.). Their singer just does some hilarious things in the music video/song, and we both think it's funny, so it reminds me of him

Anything by Children of Bodom. I'm not into the too much anymore, but I have a friend who loves them, so they remind me of him.

Makes you regret + What?

Anything Meshuggah, especially "Rational Gaze". I went to go see them back in October, but the club oversold tickets so I couldn't get in. One of the worst nights of my life :(

Makes you happy + Why?

DARK TRANQUILLITY!!!! :D

Overall just one of the most emotional bands around. Anything and everything is great :)

^I would expect that, because there was no memory behind the song :)

What song...

Wish You Were Here - Blackmore's Night / ThereIn - DT / Alleine zu Zweit, Halt Mich - Lacrimosa.

These songs make me thing of my girlfriend, and I always start getting depressed when hearing them, because I'm not with her at that moment (nor right now :cry: ).

I don't know, but there are plenty of things that remind me of Canada.

Somewhere in Time - Kamelot. It reminds me of my girlfriend.

Don't know.

Don't know.

ThereIn - DT. I don't know, it really hits me (always).

ThereIn - DT. Already explained.

Draconian Trilogy - Therion. I dunno it's just so fuck*** sad....

Alleine zu Zweit (Toris Vita) - Lacrimosa. Damn violin solos!

Faraway - Apocalyptica. Do I really have to explain this? Well, it reminds me of my girlfriend.

The Never - Autumn Tears. It makes me hink of Death and that we all will part, so I get kinda sad/existencial.

A lot of songs by Malice Mizer.

I don't know, probably a lot of songs by Rhapsody or Luca Turilli. The Ancient Forest of Elves.

La Leyenda de la Mancha - Mago de Oz. It makes me think of my aunt, since she likes all kind of spanish-related things.

Neverland - Helloween. My friend really likes this song so I always think of him when hearing it.

Makes you regret + What?

Dunno.

Makes you happy + Why?

As I said before, a lot of songs by Rhapsody and Lucca Turilli.

Maybe I'll fill out the rest later, I'm getting tired/sick of doing it now.

Dream Theater - Space-Dye Vest
One of the saddest ballads ever and that's all there is to it, aside from what I relate to in the song. The why doesn't concern you, really.

There's a bunch of songs...hard to pick one. For example such a song as In Flames' Jotun (live) reminds me of sending an sms to a friend in the middle of summer 2002. Pantera - This Love reminds of another beautiful thing, even if the memory itself is not so beautiful, and Dan Swanö - Add Reality reminds of something that once was beautiful. You can see where I'm getting at, if you know the songs. Yes I'm bitter.

Hammerfall - Always Will Be
I guess things were simply going a lot better then.

The Old Dead Tree - How Could You?
My uncle. He might've been depressed or insane, but it still hurts, and certainly not the most myself.

Can't recall such a song.
No such song exists either.

Ditto.

Demons & Wizards - Winter Of Souls
A reminder of an angsty teenage.
Pantera - 25 Years
Same thing. I could list a bunch of these, I guess. I don't have a very healthy father-relationship.

Tori Amos - Bells For Her
"...the main thing about Bells is that there is no resolve, and that's what that whole song was saying. Can't stop what's coming, can't stop what is on its way. All I can do is respond truthfully, and the concept that we'll always be friends, or we can always work it out, I would have bet you that I could have worked anything out with this person. I would have bet my hand I could have worked anything out. I'd be missing a hand right now."
Too personal for any of you poor bastards to know about.

Makes you regret + What?
Oh please, a neverending list. Sage Francis - Specialist, because when it comes to sexuality (and life generally), I'm a worst case scenario of losers.

Makes you happy + Why?
Could be many, many songs, just because they're so good.

TheFourthHorseman said:

The Old Dead Tree - How Could You?
My uncle. He might've been depressed or insane, but it still hurts, and certainly not the most myself.
I love that whole album.

Yeah it's really good, despite them taking a bunch of liberties with English. Adds to the originality in a way, at least.
Too bad the second album only has some highlights here and there.

What song...

When I listen to Necrophagist I sometimes miss TheNewBuild (Tina) from this forum. She likes technical death metal.

Anything from Windir - woods, mountains, nature

The whole album King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime from Faith No More. My mum had given me some money to go and buy new jeans, but I bought this album. Listening to it has belonged to my most favourite activities ever since. I was really really happy to have it, cause I wouldnt be able to buy it otherwise. :)

-

-

The solo in Fermented Offal Discharge from Necrophagist brings a tear into my eye everytime I hear it.

Anything from Eric Idle (Monty Pythons), plenty of songs from Slovak bands, due to the lyrics.

Well, Bliss from Muse reminds me of my wife, songs from The Beatles remind me of my father.

Too many to mention, really.

Makes you regret + What?

-

Makes you happy + Why?

Too many to mention, really.

What song...

Anathema - One Last Goodbye. I got to know them through Hitori, so they and that song in particular are what I associate most (musically) with our relationship and the breakup

Dark Tranquillity - Freecard reminds me of the DT concert I saw with my GF :)

Moonsorrow - Sankarihauta. The time Im happier than ever is now :) My GF loves the song and even though I could have picked half a dozen DT songs for this one, I think the kind of trollish humppa melodies and the droning guitars represent our relation very well ;)

Die Toten Hosen - Nur zu Besuch. It's about a man who visits the grave of a friend and talks to him as if he was still alive, it makes me think of my mother.

Music usually doesnt make me cry, but if a song ever did it was the one mentioned above

Albeeeeert. A song my GF recorded with a friend, a joke on all the "barakis" and lowlifes in Belgium, proud to be drunk on cheap, disgusting beer by midday, wearing dirty muscle shirts and raping the french language every time they open their mouths

Metallica - Nothing else matters. My brother had borrowed a guitar from a friend and played the first notes and proudly told everyone that now he was a guitar player ;)

Manowar - Warriors of the World. One time in a local disco they played the song and a couple of posers stormed the dancefloor and my friend Tim mocked them by grabbing his crotch with one hand, making the \m/ with the other hand, and jumped around one leg in the air. It's hard to describe but it was one of the funniest moments ever :)

Makes you regret + What?

Nickleback - Someday. I dont have many regrets but one surely is trying to get together with my best friend. At the time it seemed the right thing to do but turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I ever made

Makes you happy + Why?

Old Man's Child - Phantoms of Mortem Tales. There's a funny melody that always makes me smile, I dont know why they decided to put that into a Death Metal song, but it's there and it makes me smile, every time :p

^Marduk, my friend was playing some Necorphagist in his car and I only got 30 seconds of it, but it was some of the best music I've ever heard. Any songs you can point me toward?

They have two albums - Onset of Putrefaction and Epitaph. Buy them both, thats all I say. Yes, any 30 seconds from this band are pure perfection. Make sure you get the reissue of Onset with 2 bonus tracks from their demo.