A little darker, a little deeper..

QueenOvDarkness

Ginger Elite
Aug 30, 2013
Niagara Falls, Canada
how did you come to love DT?

i'd like to share my story behind why Dark Tranquillity is my fav band. DT's songs hold a very close personal meaning to me thats almost too hard to put in words..

when i was around 18 i was in a very abusive relationship and somebody had managed to strip away the very essence of my soul. i became emotionless, thoughtless, nothing. i didnt know who i was anymore. i didnt talk, smile, laugh, or even cry. i was so completely empty inside i felt dead. a vague memory of a shadow of a ghost of myself.

during this time my horrible bf used to play Dark Tranquillity. the first song i ever heard was lost to apathy, and the lyrics used to really mess with my head. it was as if someone had reached deep into my own conscious and pulled out the words that are these songs.

after the relationship had ended i remained very empty and depressed for over a year. i was actually disturbed is the best way to put it. but, i got through it. i regained all i had lost in myself and swore i would never lose myself again. i even got my first tattoo, of my own name, to remind me who i am and that theres only one of me and no one can take it away again.

to this day i am more confident and humble then i have ever been. i am more in tune with my inner self then most others i know. and when i hear Dark Tranquillity, it reminds me of that difficult experience i had, but in a very good way. i realized everything is a learning experience, good or bad. and i would never be as strong and peaceful a person i am today if i had never known how it felt to be at my absolute lowest and emptiest state.

although i won the battle, there is a void inside me where a tiny piece of something is lost forever, and it used to eat away at me until i learned how to see the beauty of it and eventually it became like my haven, i learned to find peace there. without it i wouldnt know my true self and there is only one perfect way to describe the feeling...

DARK TRANQUILLITY.

so that is why they are my fav band, i wouldnt be me without it. they have thee most positive influence on me than any other music ive heard.
i wanted to share this story because DT is more dear to me than anyone ive ever met, and its a good example how music impacts an individuals life.
this coming february will be my first time seeing them live, ive never been so excited in my life. :worship:

~QoD

Beautiful story!

I started loving DT when I heard Fiction (by the time it came out) the first times and realized that there were no bad songs on it... everything was brilliant! So I analysed it deeper and I found that the lyrics (not only on Fiction but on any other album) could relate very well to my personal experience... But they were abstract and the meaning was not so obvious although I saw it underlying... That made the listening to DT for me something ritualistic, it was indeed a haven as you said, and no one around me loved DT as I did... so it became something special and still is.

thats awesome! glad to see other people love it as much as i do :) i really find them to be very unique from any other band, they just effect me more personally than anything else, makes me reflect on myself and why i am who i am.
i have a friend who use to work for century media in Germany, and he told me that DT was in the office. So i begged mercilessly for him to get me an autograph. i thought he wasnt going to but he did! and he mailed from Germany to me a card signed by Mikael Stanne addressed 'for Laura :)' along with their ep Lost to Apathy! which i thought was interesting since that was the song that got me into them and had the most effect on me during my hard times. <3 when i go see them in Feb, im gunna bring the card and try to get it signed again! this time in person half way across the world. that would be amazing ^_^

Woah, that was deep.. Dark Tranquillity is one of a kind band which makes you really think into some things in life while you listen to them, I think that the lyrics in the songs are what makes them so unique, even though the sound they make is also kinda unique. The best thing about this band is that you can really connect with the songs, which give you an epic feeling while you listen to them. I always wanted to see them perform live, and I will in november, I can't wait :D

They were opening up for In Flames in Europe in -99 which is when I discovered the band. Since I was gonna see them live in Stockholm I bought Projector, The Mind's I and The Gallery like the week before the show and started liking DT more than In Flames pretty much instantly.

It was 2003, I wasn't yet into any "real" metal bands, I listened to Metallica and a couple of the more very mainstream things.

I still don't remember exactly how but I came across the song "Monochromatic Stains" on the internet and was immediately like :OMG: so I immediately ordered Damage Done.

I listened to Damage Done every single day on my way to work for about two months. I was captivated by the speed and aggressiveness and the unbelieveable bass roar of Stanne's vocals, but also by the thoughtfulness and philosophy. I have been the guy in "Cathode Ray Sunshine" and I have also been the guy in "Single Part of Two". It made me think about what I was doing with my life. Not in any super-dramatic way, but I did begin to realize that I had been floundering a bit in my life and that I wasn't going to get where I wanted to be by avoiding people, being an absentee father/husband and camping out in front of the TV or computer screen all hours of the night.

Imagine my surprise when I bought Haven and Projector expecting just more of the same, and they turned out very different, but equally amazing on their own merits. Those three albums really changed my entire view of heavy metal and how intelligent and thought-provoking it could be.

It was 2002 and I was 14. I heard Monochromatic Stains by chance and really really liked it, and then I went to the local music store intending to order Damage Done. Upon arriving there, I discovered that Damage Done hadn't been released yet, so I chose to order Skydancer at random. In the mean time, I downloaded all the MP3s that they had uploaded to MP3.com, and then pirated a few more via Audiogalaxy Satellite. Dark Tranquillity very quickly became my favourite band.

Side note: I remember being about 15 or 16, and sitting outside listening to The Gallery at 3 AM in the middle of a snowstorm. It was one of the most gorgeous moments of my life.

Beautiful story, Laura. :) I know how meaningful music can be; it's great to know it can be as meaningful and beautiful to other people as it is to me. Oh, and congrats on the card and LTA EP from Mikael! I'd like to see his face when you show it to him!

My story isn't anywere near that deep or personal. Like Roboturner, I hadn't been exposed to any real metal (does Apocayptica count?). Back in 2003-2004, me and my three (then) best friends from high school used to always get a CD player from .. somewhere.. and play music and hang out during recess between classes. We more or less took turns choosing the music, although one of them and I chose more often, if I remember correctly. That chap had a tonne of metal CDs and once lent me a mix CD with songs by Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Kittie, Otep and the like (that's mostly what he listened to). The wonders at your feet and Not built to last were in there. I fell in love with the songs, and when I bought Haven and Damage done (my first two DT CDs) I fell in love with the band. I started accumulating their releases in the order in which I found them at stores and continued to like what I heard, and eventually I had everything they'd ever released. Now I buy their albums the week they come out. Insanity's crescendo was my favourite song until I had listened to Iridium a million times and finally started getting into it, and now that's my favourite.

I guess I started listening to DT at a great time. I consider Character and Fiction their weakest releases by far, but I wasn't turned off from the band because I was still discovering their music at the time Character came out and I was in a collecting streak when Fiction was the new album. Compare with Lacuna Coil, which I discovered (thanks to someone else at my school) at more or less the same time and which have let me down with every release since Karmacode (haven't heard Dark adrenaline yet), or Theatre Of Tragedy, which went to hell after Aégis (again, I haven't heard their latest stuff, but if Storm is any indicator of its style then it's nothing compared to pre-2002 Theatre Of Tragedy). We are the void and Construct also came out at precisely the right time for me; they are, to me, the only DT albums which are better than The mind's I; had there been another weak (to me) release between Fiction and We are the void, I'd probably be less in love with DT than I am.

I also guess I was lucky enough to have been exposed to Haven and Damage done before anything else. They're probably the easiest DT albums to get into, and if I'd listened to, say, Skydancer before those two I'd probably have DT listed among the good-but-seldom-listened-to bands in my music library.

Which makes the band that much greater. A band that's so complex and multifaceted that even the biggest fans can disagree so strongly on their music is a band which has permanently carved its name into the history books, wouldn't you agree?

Gather 'round the campfire kiddies, it's time for a story from old Grandpa...

The year was 1997 and metalheads were still trading cassette tapes of their favorite hopelessly obscure bands (if you've ever tried to mail a CD internationally, you'll know why this format persisted into the CD era). Compilation CDs were one of the best ways to explore and discover new bands since there was no YouTube.

I was just beginning to take baby steps on Satan's path; Deftones and old Metallica were my gateways to the underworld of black and death metal. Friends of mine were playing guitar and teaching me and one of them loaned me "The Gallery." After the brief drum fill intro to "Punish My Heaven," I was blown away by a furious blend of melodicism and comlpexity the likes of which I had never heard. My jaw was agape for the next 4 minutes and 48 seconds. Nothing in my life had prepared me to hear music like this. It was at times raging, despondent, condemnatory, and at the same time subtle, beautiful, multi-layered, and multi-faceted. And then I opened the little booklet and struggled to read Stanne's prose in hard-to-read blue lettering. This was no "run for your lives, the Anti-Christ has arrived" type of story but real art, cultured and refined in its own brutal way, secular and religious all at once. The tragic emotional crescendo of the music then coincided with something even more unexpected -- clean vocals! The mournful cry of the wretched and the damned, followed by the bitter curses of the forsaken. The conclusion of the song is one of steadfast resolution in the face of certain destruction, both musically and lyrically.

I was hooked.

For Christmas of that year, I got "The Mind's I" and fell in love all over again. The music was much darker and richer than the soaring and at times airy melodic writhing of "The Gallery," with some whiffs of At the Gates emanating from some riffs. Traditional song structures (chorus, verse) totally replaced the meandering melodies of "The Gallery." For a long time, "The Mind's I" was my favorite album. I also really liked the artwork and it was the last release that featured pagan/Renaissance/baroque themes which in hindsight I think I preferred to the computer-driven modern look of each release thereafter.

I appreciated Dark Tranquillity because they continually evolved in unexpected but delightful ways. The pace of this evolution slowed down dramatically after "Projector," but it still set them apart from most bands who either stay stuck in a rut releasing the same album every few years or who produce horrible mutations by way of experiments. I became a fan because while other bands were obnoxiously pretentious these guys had substance musically, lyrically, and aesthetically; they were serious artists, unassuming, and genuine. Soon after I got "The Mind's Eye" I started a music review site and eventually conducted an email interview with Sundin (which I re-posted on this board some time ago). I don't even think the band had an official website at the time and a U.S. tour was a pipe dream. The original pressing of "Skydancer" I think numbered in the low thousands and leaving the label Spinefarm for Osmose was a step up for the band at that time; Osmose had the resources to actually put together small tours (of Europe) and release DVDs!

Anyway kids, if you haven't fallen asleep listening to gramps, it's way past your bed time. :)

it was in 1996 and Skydancer fell into my lap thru a friend - the words of wisdom embedded in the lyrics mixed with their powerful heart filling melodies - and that was it - love at first sight -

anita_job - thanks for sharing - Dt also picked me up in my darkest periods :)