New Topic...

basically i asked to a friend of mine if i could borrow either a children of bodom or a dark tranquillity cd (i hadn't heard anything by these bands before) from him. since his brother had already lent all his cob albums to another guy, he gave me "the gallery"... ;)

Miolo

I am just as surprised every time I click on some topic that seems interesting without noticing it was brought back from the dead, only to find out I have already replied to it. :guh:

I was really big into In Flames, and I read somewhere that the singers were singing in the opposite bands that they are in now. I bought Projector, and I was hooked.

It took me a while to notice the thread was this old...

...but since I haven't yet replied to it, I could as well do it now to ease the burden of boredom (ha! that one's fun to pronounce!:loco:). Here we go.

Once upon a time, back in '97 I believe it was, I went to a party at my friend's house. He went on about this unbelievable album he had just bought (The Gallery). I wasn't really interested because in general his taste in music sucks if I may say so. Anyway, I agreed to listen to one track as it seemed to be the only way to make him stop. He made me listen to Lethe.
eek.gif
I spent the rest of the evening sitting alone in his room with a bottle of beer and listened the whole album through, like, 5 times.

Bla bla bla, my life hasn't been the same since. Soon after that The Mind's I was released and I bought the two albums at the same time.

And everyone lived happily ever after. :Spin:

-Lamia

phyre said:
I am just as surprised every time I click on some topic that seems interesting without noticing it was brought back from the dead, only to find out I have already replied to it. :guh:

hehe this happens to me all the time as well :)

Several years ago I began buying music cassetes, because everybody did (that's a silly reason, I know), but soon enough discovered that there is no sence of buying the full albums of those pop singers I was into that time. So I wandered through the coming and going one-day pop songs and thought that the music of any genre can be good if it's of fine quality and well-composed. I didn't like metal then; it seemed too noisy and depressing for me.
It happened that I became interested in the tolkienists' movement. The guys listened to Blind Guardian, Nightwish and Summoning. The growling vocals disgusted me, but the melodies of Blind Guardian soon got me hooked. I became a huge BG fan, and they moved me from the lighter melodic songs to heavier ones, as their repertoire was really various. At some point I became bored with BG and was searching for something else. Then a CD-R with mp3's got into my hands (last 2001/2002 winter or smth). The Gallery was there... It took me some time to get used to totally another sound of the band, but the energetic intro of Punish My Heaven hooked me from the very start. I still go crazy jumping around and headbanging every time I hear that song. I didn't even knew I could hearbang. :) Although I can't do it for a long time - my head runs dizzy after several moves, maybe because my hair is too darn long (it reaches my waist). Oh well, headbanging is not the only way to dance to DT's music, and that's another point in favour of them.
It was very very difficult for me to get used to the growling and electro-guitars, but I did after all, because I didn't find as much of me in any other musical genre as in melodic death metal. I can't stand popular music now (I mean pop, rap, dance tunes and all the other MTV crap), because there is no such depth and creativity in it as I found in certain types of metal, with DT as my favourite band. They do show a lot of class.
I remember that I've seen Zodijackyl Light on MTV when I only got The Gallery album on my hands, so I recognised only the name of the band. Such a pity... I wish I could turn back time and watch the video again...

Ehm... :err: I've written too much, I think. Sorry for that.

To make it short and simple:
I had heard this band Dark Tranquillity being praised for some time and then Damage Done was released, and it was also praised in reviews and by people, and I was looking for new music... so I bought it on impulse. Realized this band deserved all the praise they got ;) So here I am now... slowly downloading my way through their back catalogue with my 56k modem, because I am economical and waiting until I have enough money to actually buy it all. :p

Onyx said:
I still go crazy jumping around and headbanging every time I hear that song. I didn't even knew I could hearbang. :) Although I can't do it for a long time - my head runs dizzy after several moves, maybe because my hair is too darn long (it reaches my waist). Oh well, headbanging is not the only way to dance to DT's music, and that's another point in favour of them.
It was very very difficult for me to get used to the growling and electro-guitars, but I did after all, because I didn't find as much of me in any other musical genre as in melodic death metal.
a) I didn't know you could hearbang either... ;)
b) Long hair is good for headbanging, perhaps you're doing it the wrong way.
c) Dance to DT music?...............
d) Please explain to me the phrase "I didn't find as much of me in any other musical genre as in melodic death metal." What is it that you found in it that it expressed you? It hits me a bit that you say such a thing since you couldn't appreciate the growls and the guitars... Why this genre then?

phyre said:

hehehehe when I opened this thread i automatically said...Oh, no...once again....then i saw my post....As confused as I normally am, i cheked the date...hehehehe once again, a good old thread on the good old first page...chupi!

fv

hehe... I thought this was a new thread too until I saw the bump part. (I thought, why did he type bump??)

So, I was hooked on DT from the very first half a minute of the band I heard. I was listening to a local college radio station, (90.7 WCLH, Wilkes U. radio, AWESOME station) on "Metal Monday" and Not Built to Last came on. If one were to see my face, it would have been very obvious that I was thinking HOLY SHIT! I had know idea bands that melodic existed. And then I heard the growls "What comes as no surprise..." and I remember thinking, "oh man why does he have to growl." But with the sound of the guitars and keyboards, I couldn't help but love the music. So I bought the album and listened to it very often. I eventually started to really appreciate the death growls and now I have a MUCH more open mind about all death metal bands. Since then, DT has been an endless source of inspiration.

@tebus: i think i got what you mean, but still it looks funny reading that you didn't know bands that melodic existed... it makes it sound as if you had been living in a world were radios only play bloodbath and entombed or something. :D

rahvin.

<:gasp:>... I never replied to this thread?!?!:OMG:

ok... anyway, my friend read about Dimmu Borgir in a metal mag his cousin had when we were in sophmore year of highschool. I went online, noticed the label... then decided to look up the label. I believe it was Nuclear Blast. Saw Century Media while browsing. Had a huge Napster raid on virtually all bands on both labels... got hooked on a few, namely DT, Kovenant and a few more... and the rest is history...

~Kovenant

@rahvin: hehe... yeah that was kind of a vague statement. I guess I meant that intensely melodic.. I grew up with what was on the radio, (Korn, RATM, which has no melodicness whatsoever) so DT was totally new to me. I always wished groups like DT would exist. I think the only slightly underground band I heard before that was Sentenced, and I loved them too. So I guess I honestly did mean i never knew metal bands that were that melodic existed.

Siren said:
a) I didn't know you could hearbang either...
Hmm... It seems that I accidentally created a new word. Maybe that is Fate. :err:

Siren said:
b) Long hair is good for headbanging, perhaps you're doing it the wrong way.
I'm doing it MY way, this I know for sure. :D Perhaps it is not headbanging in it's typical context. Hearbanging, maybe? ;)

Siren said:
c) Dance to DT music?...............
What's so strange in that? If I enjoy the music a lot, my body wants to follow it with some moves...any moves. It probably looks poor, but it feels good.

Siren said:
d) Please explain to me the phrase "I didn't find as much of me in any other musical genre as in melodic death metal." What is it that you found in it that it expressed you? It hits me a bit that you say such a thing since you couldn't appreciate the growls and the guitars... Why this genre then?
Emm... Look, I didn't know how to say it in English. Electric guitar can play in two basic modes, as I understand. One of them is clear sound, while other is distortion [I'm not sure if I remember the word right]. Something like that. Well, a couple of years ago I couldn't stand this distortion sound for long - it made my head and ears ache. As for the growling vocals, I simply didn't like them. But I understood with time that there is bizzare beauty in these sounds...
I tend to think that a human being's musical tastes depend on what is cooking inside of him [not literally]. At least that is what dictates mine. As I slowly altered with time, I felt a need of a certain type of music to resonate with the feelings inside me, and metal caught my attention. "Too raw, too heavy for me" - I thought, but something dragged me to such music...something that cannot be explained that simply...
Something makes me think that death metal is chosen by those who has something heavy on their hearts...
Maybe not.
Anyway, I searched for some time, and found DT. They are my favorite band now.