New to DT.

Eld

. . . . . . .
Oct 14, 2001
Michigan
www.metalbite.com
A few days ago I bought Dark Tranquillity' "The Gallery" at the store. This is my first introduction into the band. I've heard lots about the band, but never was really amazed by the few songs I'd heard from The Gallery. Oh well, I picked it up.

At first it sounded a bit dated to me, but after about 10 or so listens I really really enjoy it.

I'm wondering what makes the band different from the rest of the Swedish scene? Are Dark Tranquillity ever accused of copying other bands? What makes them stand out amongst the others of the scene, particularly with "The Gallery". Just wondering. Any opinions?

My personal opinion is that their lyrics make them the outstanding band we know and love. Maybe "The Gallery" is not the best album in order to understand that, but if you pick up "Skydancer" or just browse the band's site and read the words to the songs (I'd recommend Skydancer and Haven, under this respect) you will see that there's more phylosophy and poetry to DT than the whole swede scene. In some way, this spawns reflection in the music also, but you will need an inspired musician to describe this part, I'm not worthy.

hyena (check the bubububu thread for insights on the brilliant intellect shown by DT fans)

either that double D is comming out and everybody wanna be a newbies to the band or somthing like that :p

- red_beef (fucking hate posting from a cafe...)

As a matter of fact, DT along with In Flames , and At the gates are the father of gothenburg sound, just in case if u are wondering whats that..........its what u just heard..........the vocal and melody, and the rest of the gothenburg bands followed..................

Also, DT have been more willing to try and add new things to their music. Look at Projector for example - while the other bands are all trying to perfect the Gothenburg sound, DT have done that, and move on...

Originally posted by Eld
A few days ago I bought Dark Tranquillity' "The Gallery" at the store. This is my first introduction into the band. I've heard lots about the band, but never was really amazed by the few songs I'd heard from The Gallery. Oh well, I picked it up.

At first it sounded a bit dated to me, but after about 10 or so listens I really really enjoy it.

I'm wondering what makes the band different from the rest of the Swedish scene? Are Dark Tranquillity ever accused of copying other bands? What makes them stand out amongst the others of the scene, particularly with "The Gallery". Just wondering. Any opinions?

I don't know if D.T. has ever been accused of copying other bands, but I noticed some songs like "Punish My Heaven" has a touch of Iron Maiden in the guitars.

Newbies are good (generally speaking) :)

Well, i've never heard anyone accusing DT of copying others, but who knows what ppl might say *shrugs*

Edit: grammar