The "how you got into DT" thread

Originally posted by rahvin
@stondis: the song was "exposure", an elusive bonus track for projector (1998). :)

Uh, 1998, you say? :err:

Recorded in 1998, yes, but not released until 1999.

Luckily you are just a moderator - if you were my student in the University of Tranquillitylogy, I would have to spank you for such a mistake. :rolleyes:

-Villain, the Doctor

Although I am not a "local" at the DT board, I can say I've gotten into Dark Tranquility by just basically browsing forums, and one day I came across the mentioning of the band...so I downloaded a few of their songs, and I've listened to the ever since...

i heard a little band called in flames on the metal channel about the time colony was released. after that i was hooked, i then asked around for someone to suggest some other bands that sounded like in flames and DT was the first and only one that people were suggesting. I gave them a whirl downladed therein didnt really like it. so put em on hold up until about a year ago. ( i was a nu metal kid:cry: im sorry!!!!:lol: ) Anyways i had surgery a little while ago and considering i couldnt leave the house for 4 weeks strraight i spent a lot of time finding new music to listen to. So i decided to give DT another try. downloaded punish my heaven. HOLY SHIT!!! amazing. next, haven. equally awesome. and then my two all time favorites "hedon" and "insanity's crescendo." Since then i've been hooked

Originally posted by Hearse
I got a tape from my friend in '95 I think (after orchid was released), magical tape that was ;)
other side was Opeth's Orchid and on the other "of chaos and eternal night"

I didnt like the growling back then, but the music was so good that I kept listening.
And in time I got used to the growling and learned to love it. Been fanatic fan of those both bands from ever since.

Its weird. I think no one has ever liked growling immediately.
Everybody have to first get used to it, and just after that they can learn to see the whole beautiness of it. Its most extreme singing style there is.

I instantly loved growling since the first time i listened to Cannibal Corpse back on 1993. I went through a big death metal fase and started getting into CC, Morbid Ange, Carcass and Napalm Death. And no age and previous music experience is not an excuse either because
a) i was 12 years old at the time
b) the only bands i liked before listening to CC where Guns and Roses, Nirvana and Metallica.
True some people need some "get used to it" time or whatever but maybe it just indicates how close or open minded you were before you got into growling.

i got into dark tranquillity when one of my friends dad's was listening to them one day while we were at her house ( her father is a complete metal fan) he let me borrow skydancer. :)

i got into growls when listening to early amorphis, malevolent creation and fear factory's "soul of a new machine". i thought it was interesting but i used malevolent creation's "the ten commandments" to get to sleep at night. :) i was 14.

rahvin.

Some friend of mine talked about how great DT were and how it was fucking difficult to get their recordings (1993 I think) all the time and he was annoying as hell, so one day when I was browsing an IRC fserve I saw some DT songs, downloaded one (Away, Delight, Away) and was hooked., thanks Marco :cool:

Originally posted by xenophobe
I think Hearse or Thanatos told me in the Q&A thread in UM General Discussion to get it...

I did, and they're great!

you're welcome ;)

I remember it as if it was yesterday. It was yesterday, but thats besides the point...all my life I was looking for a cup that shape, and I found i...what? Dark Tranquillity? Gotcha.

I was a precocious 16 year old...I found the joys of the Internet, and I found a certain record label called Century Media...I was tired of the Metallica's, the Iron Maiden's, the Britney Spears' (spot the odd one out...thats right, Iron Maiden, for obvious reasons) and wanted something new...when lo, I spotted the fateful word...'Downloads'. Well I found many a song, and many a band upon that night...Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Iced Earth...but a certain song captured me like no other...'There In'...a song that has remained in my heart from that very day.
My story is told. Go now, to spread the tale, and revel in the magic that once again my words have brought.

:D

It was August of 2001.. A friend from irc (aka TheMindzI in UM boards) tried to get me into metal, successfully as it seems..
The first song he sent me was Auctioned, i immediately loved Stanne's voice, i felt i was sinking in it..
Next was Lethe. The growls scared me, but i was challenged to be open-minded so i persisted..
The next step for me was to get hooked in Opeth, so DT was forgotten as a few mp3s in my hard drive, and in December i joined these forums and esp the Opeth one.
At some point as i was checking the DT forum i remembered about the DT mp3s i had, so gave em another listen and that was it..
The forum helped me a great lot to get into them coz it made me take the time and actually pay attention to the songs, trying to figure out what it was everyone was talking about in here..
The next step was to buy a DT album, it was Haven coz i was hooked with the same song. Then Projector, then Skydancer/Of Chaos, then The Gallery, TMI, and finally DD and watching them live in Athens..
All i need now is a shirt from them and i'll be in total bliss. :D

i cannot remember the exact details, but it must have been somehthing like this... remember when the jester race and slaughter of the soul crossed over bigtime (over to USA that is, we can now fondly call this the scandanavian invasion)? this was 1996-1997 i think...wow, what a revelation to discover metal more brutal than metallica and megadeth and not shitty like deicide and morbid angel... i must have been buying somehting at pheonix records, the ultimate metal store, where all the sales people know way more metal than i do... i would say things like "im really into gay metal like in flames and amorphis, what can you recommend?" and someone must have recommended the gallery. and it kicked ass... and i listened a billion times, and to this day, since i am broke and slow to evolve, it has stayed in "heavy rotation"

it was a year ago. my musical tastes were evolving after an only-power-metal-year. :loco: i was surfing on the internet through metal boards (not UM though) trying to get ideas for new bands to listen to. the name of the band did it. "Dark Tranquillity" sounded so good to me that i said "i have to check this band out". so i asked to a friend of mine with a huge collection of metal cds to get me into this band. he made me listen to "The Gallery" and though i was impressed by the energy combined with melody that the music transmitted to me, my interest towards the band didn't grow immediately because of the growled vocals (it was the first time). after a while and many more listens to "The Gallery" i borrowed "Haven" from this friend of mine and fell definitely in love with the band. then came all the other records. :)

Miolo

How I got into DT. Okay, here goes... A friend of mine had an FTP server once and a friend of his uploaded lots and lots of metal. While downloading from my friend's server I came across a folder called "Dark Tranquillity - Haven" and thought "What the hell.. Cool sounding band name. I'll take a closer look." so I downloaded the songs.

Wasn't particularly impressed at first, but one of the songs really grabbed hold of me, "Haven". The other songs grew on me as well and it all ended up with me buying the album. Never regretted it for a second. Soon afterwards I bought Projector and once it was released, Damage Done.

I'm not very long into metal, so I heard the name Dark Tranquillity first being mentioned at a soilwork review in German Metal Hammer...I kept it in mind, and as "MOnchromatic Stains" became accessible through DL, I instantly liked it - and bought Damage Done very short after that :)