The "how you got into DT" thread

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
Well, since we've got loads of new faces since the last time this thread was made, and I'm sure the old ones have forgoten, it's time to tell the epic story of how you were introduced to DT once more.

For me, it all started when I was first getting into metal, back in 99. I was reading about all the bands in the scene, and downloading songs with this new program called Napster (that was a long time ago). One of the bands that stuck in my head was Dark Tranquillity, and I downloaded Therein. I was quite impressed by it, and after hearing Through Ebony Archways also, I went out and bought the first DT album that I found, Projector. After that, I actually didn't buy any DT for over a year, but then I finally found The Gallery, and the rest soon followed...

Actually, I just sorta stumbled across Century Media and started randomly downloading songs by bands on the label. I think the first song I heard by DT was either Not Built to Last or the Wonders at Your Feet. I got Haven soon after that. Spent months looking for more in stores, and finally got the Korean release of TMI. That sealed things for me, and in the next month I picked up Projector, and Skydancer/OCaEN. I got the Gallery and DD last month.

~Kovenant

Back in '98 I was just starting to get heavily into In Flames and I was searching for other bands like them. I got the Enter Suicidal Angels MCD and was impressed. Once I got The Mind's I I was hooked. The rest came shortly thereafter.

No downloading for me...I was still a slave to dial-up (and AOL :yuk: ) at the time. :)

I got into DT right after In Flames.. cause it was typical for In Flames fans to like DT. This was around the time when Projector and Colony were released. I hit a local CD store and bout Projector + Skydancer. The differences between the two floored me, but I liked both of the albums, so I started to buy everything in between and became an instant fan.. great stuff!

I met DT in the year 98. It is not far away. I was studying in order to enter a university. While I was studying, I was listening one cd after the other. But nothing satisfied me. I was still bored and not in the mood of studying at all as in general. Then I found myself out on the streets. While I was wandering around aimlessly. I entered a music shop and saw that there were 2nd hand Cd's to be sold. Then I started to try the Cd's which were cheaper than the others which weren't used. I was putting the Cd in my cd player and listened only one song from each Cd, without knowing which in a hurry of curiosity.Then I heard DT. It was the album 'The Gallery' and the song 'Lethe' which I choose by chance. Then I bought that album..Later another...another...then they came to Turkiye. That was like a dream..So I couldn't quit listening them...

Well, it was back in 1997 (or 1996...) just before The Mind's I was released. Someone told me I would love that band and I said well, yeah, I'll give it a try... Few months later (I was into death metal... like heavier death metal), I was in a record store and picked up The Gallery because they had it and at that time DT cd's were pretty rare here....

The damage was done! I listenned to Punish my Heaven and Edenspring and all the others ans thought "I have always searched for something and this is it!"

After this, my life was a quest to find all the other DT cds. I bought The Mind's I, Skydancer/Of Chaos.., Projector went it went out, Haven when it was released and got Damage Done from the hands of Niklas Sundin himself when I went to Sweden last june.

And I'm about to see DT live for the fist time, yay!

In '93 I read a very praising review (90/100 points) of "Skydancer" in Aardschok magazine and got interested. At that time I was discovering more extreme and intense genres of Metal and this melodic Death Metal seemed just my thing.

So I went to my local recordshop and had the guy order Skydancer for me. When I got it I was hooked, I just loved the whole atmosphere, reading the lyrics along with the songs etc. Been a fan ever since...

i heard projector at a friend of mine while we were talking some stuff, so i didn't really recall anything except the outstanding voice which somehow didn't appeal to my senses at that time. in 2001 i found this board and got interested in dt again, and ordered haven which i found a bit disappointing. nevertheless i got projector and found it to be more suitable for me. but this year with damage done everything suddenly makes sense for me. i need to get the older albums fast.

Hrm, was about late 2000/early 2001 I think and I was just, as many, starting to get heavily into In Flames. So of course like Humanure, I was looking for bands similar, I downloaded Punish my Heaven and god forsake me, I stopped it right the vocals kicked in because I didnt like growls that much at the time. Later I decided to try them again and downloaded "Indifferent Suns" I think it was, and "Haven". These hooked me, bought Haven soon after ;)

About the same imte I was getting into In Flames (1997) one of my friends told me about Dark Tranquillity and let me hear The Gallery. I have been a huge fan of DT ever since. :) :)

Nick(what will give in first?)

the year was 1992 (yes, that early) and i had friends who always gave me tapes with badly recorded demos of death/black metal songs. on one such tape (featuring, among others, bands of the likes of righteous pigs and disharmonic orchestra) there was a 4 track demo of a band called dark tranquillity. it was titled "trail of life deayed", with no respect for gothenburg death metal or english language. the song titles were right though.
i remember hearing the tape on a train during a school trip. hyena was there, but it's unlikely that she heard it too since i used no speakers. ;)
it suddenly hit me that dt tracks were utterly diverse and ridiculosly ahead of the pack, an unimaginable universe of inspiring sounds and melodies compared to the "toilet-being-flushed-in-the-background" sounds other bands made.
i remembered the name later on, in december 1993, when i stumbled upon a cd called skydancer in a shop (long moved) where i used to dig for metal, often picking almost at random something with an interesting cover. i went home and put the cd in my stereo...

... almost nine years later, mysteriously here i am discussing their sixth album and moderating their board online. :eek: :)

rahvin.

Hmm, interesting thread. I was passing a cdstore once a couple of years ago. Walked into it, browsed their cd's and saw a cool cover of The Gallery. Listened to it and said to my self:
"Damn, this is great. It reminds me of In Flames (whic I had heard a couple of times before and thought they were cool)""

So, I was thinking to my self, I have to buy this album. Weeks passed by. I went to Stockholm. Went into a cdstore again and saw Haven. By this time I thought that DT was a band that quit years before and I was surprised they had a cd from 2000.
I listened to it and thought:

"Wow, this sounds a bit like Samaels Eternal!!"
I bought it and hated myself of buying that album since it was aweful. Put it into my cd a couple of monthts later and since then I'm hooked into DT. Now I have all cd's original except The Gallery and Projector which I plan on buying soon!