The "how you got into DT" thread

I had heard the band name before and one day I decided to download some DT's songs....I think this was about two years ago...and The Dividing Line was the first song I heard. Ever since I've been hooked.

The first "extreme" metal CD I got (and I'll define "extreme" as loosely as possible, having growly vox as opposed to clean ones) was Colony by In Flames.. didn't like it much at first but I got into the melodic-death sound quite a bit and started asking around BB's for other bands.. DT was one of the bands recommended so I d/l'ed "Freecard" from the official site.. I was quite impresses so I got Projector.

I didn't like the album a lot at first.. it kinda sat for like a year, until I got Haven, which was the album that really made me a fan of the band, though at this point I prefer Projector much more.

I heared a DT song on the radio and wanted to hear more of it, So I listened Projector, I was forgotten the band till I saw them live in 2000 or something. Now I have all the albums:s

Good old Napster.

Was tired of all the nu-metal popping up (this was 99 or so), never really got into it, so I was looking for more bands, saw the names Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, and At The Gates listed somewhere. Downloaded some In Flames, was hooked, so I decided to search the other bands. Downloaded "Insanity's Cresendo" and I was hooked on pretty much all Swedish metal ever since. Now I own everything by DT and In Flames except the really hard to find stuff.

cool storys everywhere
nice to read

in 1997 I started to listen to death/blackmetal after just listening to metallica and heard a song called jotun by in flames.they brought me into melodic death metal and so I searched more bands like them,hard fast and full of melodies.and one day I bought the minds I.I was very impressed and began to buy the other cds of DT and IF too.
until 1999 IF was my favorite band but Dt was 2nd.then projector came out,I bought it and started to listen to it very long time.
then it was december 99,I was sitting in front of my window looking to the world outside with projector in my ears and heard doberman,the part where he sings clear"like a ghost in daylight..." and suddenly a flash in my head appeard and I fell in absolute love with DT,I dont know how to explain it but this song touched me in my heart and I knew now DT were THE BAND,THE MUSIC that I was searching for a long time,the soundtrack of my life and I had it all in my collection!!but projector opend my eyes and is my all time favorite of all cds I`m listening to
and I know DT always will be the perfect sound for the world inside myself

I haven't listened to heavier metal for long (/me 17). I had just heard some In Flames and I was starting to like them. This was around the time of the Clayman and Haven releases and alot of people around me compared the albums. Most thought that Haven was the better one so I borrowed it from a guy in school and thats how it happend.

I first borrowed Haven from a friend.....somehow I just couldn't get into it, so I gave it back....few months ago I actually caught the Zodijackyl Light video on MTV (!), I though it sounded waay better than Haven so I downloaded the song and played it until death. I ordered DD and got a few days ago...and that was the start of it all. Though I haven't got TMI yet...prolly will when I get the money.

I'm a long time fan of melodies like the stuff of Amorphis, Paradise Lost, Theatre of Tragedy and Sentenced to name a few. When I lived in Europe there was a great radioshow which first revealed for me the beauty of the Scandianvian melodic metal. When I moved to the states 4 years ago I was despreately seeking FM radiostation that would paly the music I liked at least 2 hours a week... Alas!
Then some time later I found hardradio.com and was so excited: they had Sentenced on their playlist! And some bands called In Flames and Dark Tranquillity as well! ;)
The rest is Napster and some search to find Nuclear Blast/Centurymedia on the web...

Through the keyhole.

Siren (impressive how many got hooked by haven)

A friend of mine told me they're good, so I decided to d/l one song which happened to be Scythe, Rage and Roses...
At that time the only Death Metal I listened to was Amorphis' Elegy, and it even took me a lot of time to get into it...
So this song wasn't what I expected from a 'good band', but since I trusted my friend, I heard the song over and over and though I started to get used to it and to understand it's complexity, I still didn't really like it...
Then I downloaded Feast of Burden and Haven, and then I got Haven (the album), then the Mind's I, then the Gallery...
I got generaly hooked after Feast of Burden to make it short...

I'm not quite sure, but the year was 1998, when I Dowloaded a song from a site that I'll never remember the address.......And the song was "Shadowlit Facade". At that time I have never heard something like that, and I loved it, so I started to look for more songs of DT, and now I have The Minds I, Projector, Skydancer, Haven and Damage Done, my goal is to complete the collection, but here in Brazil it's VERY difficult to find the old DT stuff
Well, that's it

> when I was gettin into In Flames... the next logical step of course is to hear Dark Tranquillity

same here.

in 1999 some dude with web space at Cal Tech had Projector mp3s available. i downloaded them. =) then i bought Projector at the Milwaukee Metalfest XIII (Vendorville) Century Media table. eventually i got most of the essentials. i'm still missing the original Of Chaos and Eternal Night CD, as well as the earlier demo stuff. i do have those demo tracks on mp3 though. also, due to a very well-timed trade i ended up with one of those original 300 Skydancer promo copies. that was the sweetest trade deal i ever made! :D

when i used to live at home and had nice unlimited cable internet (dialup is still the norm here in australia, only a small percentage of users have cable) , i was going thru one of my "time to find some inspiring and new bands to listen to" phases about 2 years ago. i was going thru some ftp servers, one in particular was full of metal bands, and there was 3 dark tranquillity albums, the minds i, projector and haven. not thinking much of them i just added them to the download, had a listen, didnt get into them at first.. about 6 months down the track, i started listening to them again, and slowly got into them even more, soon they were all i was listening to. i slowly started to find their albums in the music stores, and was only late last year whilst on holiday, i found the rest i was after in a music store. so ive managed to get them all, and yeah, never looked back. and then eagerly awaited damage done and bought it as soon as it was in at my local retailer. :)

I heard one of their songs on "in the eyes of death II" forget the name but the lyrics go "evil is as evil does" or something.
Pretty cool song anyway.
Then heard people mention them on the Opeth board and I saw Haven in the shop last saturday and thought hmmmmm.....