what the heck is wrong with these guitars?

Fr0zen

Mar 13, 2011
Germany
Hi everyone,

first of all, i really appreciate this forum and have learned ALOT here. Thanks for that!

Now to my problem. I want to record some songs with my band, but everyone is absolutely unexperienced with recordings.This is our first time ever.

Yesterday we recorded a part of a song which you can listen to below. It is in no way mixed, just replaced the snare and kick with a sample and put the glue and ozone (loudness maximizer only) on the master.

What really bothers me is the guitar sound. I dont know whats wrong with it (is it undergained?), but i for sure dont like it. Any hints are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
its a really cheap schecter omen something through axe-fx, recorded into a Phonic Helix Board 24 MKII.

The patch in the axe fx is 808 -> Engl Powerball sim -> Mesa 4x12 SM57 Cab Sim (Ownhammer)

I like the guitar tone pretty much, however you could beef up the bass. Bring it some overdrive ! How did you record it ?

actually this sounds very good to me, raw and very powerfull.
first time recording? hell dude must be some massive talent going on there!

songwriting kicks ass!

the only negative thing about the guitars is the massive low end that spikes
extremely out here and there, hipass the boom away, et voila.

cheers
S.

actually this sounds very good to me, raw and very powerfull.
first time recording? hell dude must be some massive talent going on there!

songwriting kicks ass!

the only negative thing about the guitars is the massive low end that spikes
extremely out here and there, hipass the boom away, et voila.

cheers
S.

+1

highpass to about 100 to 105hz duder

first time recording?? `kin impressive!!!!
i agree with high passing the guitars and maybe giving the bass some grit but its sounding good to me duder!!

Guitars should be easiest to achieve and the sound you have here is an example of that. You won't get any complaints.... I listened a couple times you'll have to work harder to convince me this is first time. It's a great guerrilla post for Axe FX got me lookin at it! Done your job bro.

Much harder sound to achieve are live drums - and getting a good vocal sound. I didn't replace the snare and kick in our recordings and you know it's organic but real. The replaced bits sound great on yours.

However, the cymbals sound like they are phase cancelling

thanks for all the kind words and help! It really is our first recording, but i read alot and watched some tutorials that really helped me out. I only had some minutes today to change the mix. What i did:

-> Lowcut guitars @ 100 hz
-> Multibandcompressor alà sneap (just 1 band set to ~250 hz to keep the palm mutes tight)
-> lowered guitar volume (a bit too much perhaps?), increased bass a bit
-> put distortion on one bass track, though i only have the tools coming with cubase (and i dislike the distortion plugin :()

read the issue with the cymbals too late, can try to change that next week. And RLab, Bass was recorded through the DI of a Glockenklang Soul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post the guitar/bass alone? I think your guitar sound is great, but the bass is a bit farty.

sure, but unfortunately i cant post them now cos they are stored on the computer in our practice room. Will post them on monday!