What is wrong with these DIs?

Thanks. deLuther has a great DI done with the 0404USB, but when I am home for Christmas I will pick up my old Edirol interface, which has a switch for Hi-Z, and run a comparison.

Although it's tempting to blame the interface, there is this one great DI posted earlier by deLuther which was done with the same type of interface...

Thanks for all input so far! Really appreciate it! Do keep on commenting should anyone have anything to add!

Edit: Edirol Ua-20 (interface with switch for Hi-Z)
Anyone reckon this can compare to or beat a Behringer DI box?

Edit 2: Impedance of Edirol Ua-20: 470k(omega) (guitar)

I collected several DI recorded with E-Mu USB interfaces (0202 USB, 0404 USB) and I can say all sound good unless crappy playing or bad guitar (usually bad performance than guitar). E-Mu matches impedance automatically. I rather prefer DIs recorded with E-Mu USB (any) than with Line 6 gear (toneport for example).

For example:
DK1_AHB1_vs_LP_EMG81.png

Blue line is Jackson DK1 (USA) with AHB1 into 0404 USB
Other is Gibson LP Standart with EMG 81 into Mackie Satellite (Hi-Z)
Eclipse_AHB1_vs_LP_EMG81.png

Blue line is ESP Eclipse with AHB1 into 0404 USB
Other line is same LP track

Where is the lack of high frequencies?

But if I`m compare funky_guitarDI with LP I got rather strange result:
FunkyDI_left_vs_LP_EMG81.png

It looks like high pass filter on DI track.

Maybe it`s time to check settings. At least plug off soft limiter in control panel of device.
Or, maybe, something wrong with particular device...

Thanks for the detailed post, deLuther!

So, deLuther, how can the player's performance be improved in order to achieve better quality DIs?

I am assuming you are referring to playing technique, as in how the strings are struck with the guitar pick (angles and velocity), coherence between left and right arm, etc?

Thing, is I'm pretty sure if I recorded a DI of just one chord being struck it wouldn't sound much better, regardless of how I played it, but hopefully you can prove me wrong?

At first there is need to check device settings, switch off soft limiter (if it is enabled), don`t know about high pass, as I remember there is no such options.
Maybe HP on input bus? If no, than something strange with particular device.

Soft Limiter is off.
There is no HP on the unit and no HP on the bus.

Assuming there is something wrong with my 0404USB, my results with the Edirol UA-20 should be better, right? Or is the impedance of the UA-20 very bad (470k)?

Thanks, deLuther!

So, when I get a chance I'll try out this other interface, and if the results still suck, the bottom line would be that I need a new guitar.

Really appreciate all the input! Thanks a million!

But guitar can`t give you low pass and high pass effect - this is realy strange.

ps. Check your guitar wiring to be sure...

But guitar can`t give you low pass and high pass effect - this is realy strange.

ps. Check your guitar wiring to be sure...

Regarding guitar wiring, what is there to look for? I had the Blackouts installed by a guitar tech about 2 months ago and wouldn't really know what to look for myself. Unfortunately this one guy was the only guitar tech I could track down in the city where I currently live, although he has a good reputation and was recommended by several people.

Can you check 0404 USB with other guitar?

Unfortunately I don't have any other guitars in my current location, but I might be able to check it out in a few weeks.

Did you check out the wiring pictures? Did they seem ok?

I really appreciate all the input on this!

it might be the battery cause i have blackouts :eek: and they don't last long

I even swapped the battery for a brand new one just to rule out that option, and indeed, there was no change in sound.

Is it possible that a low end basswood Ibanez can be the source of this problem alone?

Or is it more likely I got screwed over when I got my USB0404 on eBay 10 months ago?

I doubt that basswood gives low cut (high pass) effect.
Maybe unit can be broken, but better to check it with other guitar.

Too bad I won't be able to check any of this stuff any time soon, but should have a chance to try out the guitar with the other audio interface 4th January, and hopefully later that month I might be able to check out the EMU with another guitar.

Actually, I do have a (very) low end bass guitar I could record DI. I'll give it a shot and upload something in a minute... Hope it will be of use at all.