what the hell was the best album of 1986?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
some examples:

metallica - master of puppets
slayer - reign in blood
voivod - killing technology
sepultura - morbid visions
cirith ungol - one foot in hell
saxon - rock the nations
savatage - fight for the rock
iron maiden - somewhere in time
judas priest - turbo
king diamond - fatal portrait
kreator - pleasure to kill
rainbow - finyl vinly
queensryche - rage for order
ozzy osbourne - ultimate sin
saint vitus - born too late
sodom - obsessed by cruelty
yngwie malmsteen - trilogy
megadeth - peace sells...
fates warning - awaken the guardian
flotsam & Jetsam - doomsday for the deceiver
metal church - the dark
nuclear assault - game over
candlemass - epicus doomicus...
crimson glory - s/t
dark angel - darkness descends
destruction - eternal devastation

Ah, the worst days of metal according to Neil. :loco:

From that list, Candlemass, and I can't think of anything offhand that could top that anyway.

Ah, the worst days of metal according to Neil. :loco:

ha, I was a little worried about this thread, but not nearly as scared as I was of the 1971 thread...I couldn't even look at that one, for fear of its suckage!

But shockingly, there is actually a top-notch album on that list. Didn't expect that. I'd probably still put it ahead of most albums released today. Crazy! Of course, it's one of the most ambitious, forward-looking albums albums on the list too. It is....

Queensryche - Rage For Order

For those of you having a lot more trouble than me picking a clear winner, don't worry, I'm here to help! I'll divide the list down into "probably sucks" and "might be ok".

* = I might have actually let the ugly unprocessed noise sneak past my defenses and ravage my eardrums at one time.
** = I own the album (shh...don't tell anyone!)

Probably Sucks:
*slayer - reign in blood
voivod - killing technology
sepultura - morbid visions
cirith ungol - one foot in hell
saxon - rock the nations
savatage - fight for the rock
judas priest - turbo
kreator - pleasure to kill
saint vitus - born too late
sodom - obsessed by cruelty
*megadeth - peace sells...
*fates warning - awaken the guardian
flotsam & Jetsam - doomsday for the deceiver
metal church - the dark
nuclear assault - game over
candlemass - epicus doomicus...
dark angel - darkness descends
destruction - eternal devastation

Might Be Ok:
*metallica - master of puppets
**iron maiden - somewhere in time
king diamond - fatal portrait
rainbow - finyl vinly
**queensryche - rage for order
ozzy osbourne - ultimate sin
yngwie malmsteen - trilogy
crimson glory - s/t

As you can see, the "Might Be Ok" group is pretty small, so that should make it easier, especially if you dislike gay melodic crap, because that's what most of it is.

Neil

This is probably the best metal year ever, and the winner is probably Dark Angel - Darkness Descends... But the competition is as tough as can be. Don't forget that Mayhem debuted this year, more or less signaling the first stench of 2nd wave black metal... The initial list was obviously awesome but nowhere near complete. Audiopain is right - this is when the counting of time should have begun.

Don't forget that Mayhem debuted this year, more or less signaling the first stench of 2nd wave black metal...

I did see they released the demo this year, and I felt hesitant to include a demo entry.

The initial list was obviously awesome but nowhere near complete.

I know. Obviously people can feel free to include their own entries if it doesn't appear in that summarized list.

Actually, I was going to preface this thread by saying pick an album OUTSIDE of "Master of Puppets" because I seriously thought it would be a slam dunk. Either that or "Reign in Blood", but looks like we have some variety on our hands.

Actually, I was going to preface this thread by saying pick an album OUTSIDE of "Master of Puppets" because I seriously thought it would be a slam dunk. Either that or "Reign in Blood", but looks like we have some variety on our hands.
Those are both great, but neither is even my favourite by either band - and these are two bands I hold very high (Well, the early parts of their respective careers, at least). And I dare say Darkness Descends beats both Hell Awaits and Ride the Lightning, which is no small thing to claim. I don't like making top lists though, but when I've decided for one to rule them all and in the 80s bind them, I've generally settled. Here's a small sample of my top list:

Best song: One Rode to Asa Bay
Best band: Bathory
Best album: Mayhem - De mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Best Bathory Album: Blood Fire Death (Followed by Blood on Ice)
Best concept album: Blood on Ice
Best WASP album: The Crimson Idol
Best thrash album: Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Best doom album: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Best NWOSWHBM album: Ondskapt - Draco Sit Mihi Dux
...and probably more I know for a fact but can't be arsed to drag up atm. All of the above are complete 10/10 must-haves buy or die, you hate means you're gay etc.

I've always felt Master of Puppets is Metallica's most over-rated album. It is amazing, but I put Ride The Lightning over it every time and there are at least three albums that stand out more than MoP on this list.

You really rate Darkness Descends that highly? It might make my top 10, but even on that I'm not sure. Hell Awaits might just be my number 1.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ...

even Turbo was great ... without it Painkiller wouldn't have been such a big deal.

amazing decade!

and for the record, as much as I love RIB, Hell Awaits is still my favorite Slayer record.