what the hell was the best album of 1986?

You really rate Darkness Descends that highly? It might make my top 10, but even on that I'm not sure. Hell Awaits might just be my number 1.

I do, that album is sheer bloody violence and death. Hell awaits is EVIL! (hahahaha) EVIL! My words defy etc and Ride the Lightning is.. Just fucking awesome I suppose. And those two would be the contenders I think, but it's a tight squeeze in the top.

Gotta say, I was really thinking "Master of Puppets" was going to sweep up here. So just out of curiosity, where does an album like MoP lose points for you? For me, it's "Leper Messiah" and "Thing that should not Be", giving the album this feeling of being way too long and drawn out. That said, it's still a milestone accomplishment. I'd probably pick it slightly over "Reign in Blood" and my other fave, "Peace Sells...". Otherwise, those are the top 3 for me.

Out those that you posted in the initial post, my rankings would probably be along the lines of:

1) fates warning - awaken the guardian
2) candlemass - epicus doomicus...
3) dark angel - darkness descends
4) slayer - reign in blood
5) cirith ungol - one foot in hell
6) metallica - master of puppets
7) saint vitus - born too late
8) sepultura - morbid visions
9) kreator - pleasure to kill
10) destruction - eternal devastation
11) iron maiden - somewhere in time
12) voivod - killing technology

never got into the others (not listed)

edit - and godmanit, where is Manilla Road - The Deluge?! ;)

metallica - master of puppets
flotsam & Jetsam - doomsday for the deceiver
megadeth - peace sells...
candlemass - epicus doomicus...
fates warning - awaken the guardian
nuclear assault - game over
iron maiden - somewhere in time

Those are the ones I like to some extent, in that order.

I haven't heard these (although I seriously doubt I'd like most of them):
cirith ungol - one foot in hell
saxon - rock the nations
savatage - fight for the rock
judas priest - turbo
king diamond - fatal portrait
rainbow - finyl vinly
ozzy osbourne - ultimate sin
saint vitus - born too late
sodom - obsessed by cruelty
yngwie malmsteen - trilogy
metal church - the dark
destruction - eternal devastation

3) dark angel - darkness descends
4) slayer - reign in blood

Hmm. I have NEVER understood the fascination with Darkness Descends. Awesome intro on the first track and then.....Gene Hoglan turns into the fucking duracell bunny for the rest of the album. Someone explain to me how Darkness Descends has better crafted songs on it than, say, "Jesus Saves", "Angel of Death", "Criminally Insane", or "Raining Blood". Actually, anything on RiB.

I can see that. It's a total frenzy and I can see where kids in Norway, for example, were getting off on this rampage, and it helped shape things to come, so I give it credit for that....but if we're being TOTALLY HONEST, it lacks any form of creativity whatsoever and people are just obliged to say they like it for some odd reason. This is an example of where a drummer, Gene Hoglan in this case, just goes on auto-pilot and disregards each and every guitar riff on the album. Compare this to Igor Cavelera or Dave Lombardo who actually listened to what the other band members were doing and therefore composed songs in unison.

Well, if you wanna talk about better crafted songs, then yeah, RiB is infinitely better. They are extremely close but I prefer DD. Its just my opinion really. They are both classics of the genre...and to be honest, I only listen to most of the stuff when working out or something of the sort to keep me pumped & going. DD is a tremendous album for this because of its raw, unrelenting, tenacity. I dunno....there's different ways of looking at it. If I was to sit down and have an enjoyable listen, then probably would go with RiB.

i personally think the whole band was sloppy (Dark Angel) ... and as great as Hoglan is ... I can't really remember many moments in songs throughout his whole discography where he added something memorable to a track, ala intro to Raining Blood for example.

slopyness exemplified

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I like DD more than RiB is because I don't think RiB is very good at all. I can't help but compare it to SNM or HA, which utterly blow it out of the water. I know it's a completely different style, but I get sick of the album quickly. Angel of Blood and Reign in Blood are good songs, but I rarely listen to anything else.

RiB is a strange disc ... it works best if listened to from beginning to end. The songs just flow from one into another.

RiB is a strange disc ... it works best if listened to from beginning to end. The songs just flow from one into another.

Ironically, the problem with DD is that I have never been able to listen to it from beginning to end in one sitting simply because of the lack of variety. And variety is the key to a good thrash album: Beneath the Remains, Schizophrenia, Reign in Blood, The Legacy, Killing is my Business... etc.

What's odd is that Gene Hoglan went on to play on Death's Symbolic and Individual Thought Patterns and the former was practically jazz infused DM. (I prefer ITP myself, but nevertheless, he demonstrates that he did indeed, at some point, learn how to change a drum beat).

uh i didn't even read the thread, there is only one answer and if any individuals insinuated anything other than reign in blood those individuals are gay and/or retarded

edit: man what a bunch of gay retards

Ironically, the problem with DD is that I have never been able to listen to it from beginning to end in one sitting simply because of the lack of variety. And variety is the key to a good thrash album: Beneath the Remains, Schizophrenia, Reign in Blood, The Legacy, Killing is my Business... etc.

What Darkness Descends lacks in variety, innovation and all that other crap it makes up for tenfold in sheer bloody fucking violent force and spirit. Das ist alles.