What to buy with 1000$?

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hi,

I'm new on this forum, I've been looking at the threads for a while but I never posted.

I would like to know what to buy with 1000$ to get a better sound in general.

Presently, here is what I use :

For my guitars I plug my Schecter C1 classic ( with duncan JB pick up, would an active pick up produce a better sound?) into a toneport UX1. Then I send outputs 3-4 (dry) in cubase sx3, and I add distorsion effects etc with guitar rig 3 or wagner and impulses. I record also my vocals and the bass with my toneport, and I use Ampeg SVX.

For the drums I use mostly BFD 2 and AD for the kick.

For my keys I mainly use Reason. Sometimes M-Tron.

My speakers are Creative Gigaworks T20. Unfortunately I cannot have a sub because my neighboors will kill me :)

I will release my solo album during July, but it's not me who is gonna mix it because I prefered to give my tracks to a professional with the right equipment.

Here's a mix I did of one of my songs :
www.myspace.com/handsofdespair

All was recorded the way I said earlier in the post, except vocals which were recorded in a studio. I know my mix doesn't sound really good haha let's say I'm a beginner and when I heard the mix of people on this board it was an huge punch in the face :zombie: haha .

I'm a musician first (I'm studying in music), but I love producing and would like to get better.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my english, I speak french :)

Better monitors... I would not trust the Creative stuff and I find with most of the systems the bass is looser than a mother of 12. Also as GuitarGodgt said, a better interface would be on the agenda. Oh yeah, and acoustic treatment If you really want to step up your mixes, although on that budget thats slightly unrealistic haha.

I can tell from the vocals you like Opeth :)

Joe :kickass:

Ok so I'll check for a new interface and for new monitors.

What would you recommend me? I heard some m-audio interfaces are good.

For the monitors is it a big problem if I can't have a sub? Would I be better with good headphones?

Thanks!

Ok so I'll check for a new interface and for new monitors.

What would you recommend me? I heard some m-audio interfaces are good.

For the monitors is it a big problem if I can't have a sub? Would I be better with good headphones?

Thanks!

What's you DAW? For the money, I'd say either a Presonus Firestudio rig, or maybe the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26.

Headphones can be great, but IMO they are secondary to a decent set of powered monitors. The best way I've found to settle on a set of nearfields is to take some cd's to a store that has a decent selection of them and just run through the gauntlet. Look for the flattest response you can find. Take a CD you KNOW has killer production, and one with bad production. A/B them with a few sets until you settle on a pair that works best for YOUR ears alone. That is the most important thing about monitors IMO. You have to find the right pair for YOU. The more comfortable you are with them at first, the faster you can settle in to your niche when you start mixing with them.

My personal suggestions would be the M-Audio, Yamaha, and Tascam.

Unless you plan on recording a whole band, the Firestudio/ Saffire Pro is unnecessary, 90% of its functionality is redundant. Look for 2 channel preamps/ interfaces, that way your covered if you want to go dual mic'd for cabs or acoustic stuff.

My recommendations would be (as always):

FMR Really Nice Preamp, or on a tighter budget the M-Audio DMP3
PCI Soundcard - 1212M has fantastic converters provided you can grasp Patchmix
Yamaha HS80M's- I have these and instantly loved them, plus no need for a sub.

I think you might be stretching it with only $1000 though, out of all of that I'd sacrifice the FMR for the DMP3. The M-Audio 24/96 would be a good comprimise for the Soundcard, as would the EMU 0404 PCI. Don't skimp on the Yamaha's though.

If you wanted to stick with an all-in-one Preamp/Soundcard then I have nothing but good things to say about my Presonus Inspire, clean, reliable and integrates well with the different Computers I've tried it on. I expect that the Firebox would be similar, but with the added bonus of external controls.