What to do when a band re-"masters" your work?

I think the best scenario is to have credit given to you with an explanation saying the band remixed and mastered it themselves or something like that.

Eg: original recording and mixing by Vis, remixed, edited and mastered by band who knows nothing.

I think the best scenario is to have credit given to you with an explanation saying the band remixed and mastered it themselves or something like that.

Eg: original recording and mixing by Vis, remixed, edited and mastered by band who knows nothing.

But still the average listener would connect the bad sound to the mixing-engineer too.

Anyways, here is the mix I gave him:
http://db.tt/RJJ8B8gi

And here is his version:
http://db.tt/L6gNFvC2

WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTT????!!!!:puke:
I am completely blown away by this.....how in the world is this even the same mix???!!!! That snare!!!!! o_Oo_O

I'm glad you updated the post with the before/after, because your description did not even come close to describing the magnitude of the destruction they did....this is completely insane. dude, cut all ties entirely.

WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTT????!!!!:puke:
I am completely blown away by this.....how in the world is this even the same mix???!!!! That snare!!!!! o_Oo_O

I'm glad you updated the post with the before/after, because your description did not even come close to describing the magnitude of the destruction they did....this is completely insane. dude, cut all ties entirely.

Hahaha. It blew me away as well.

As for the guitar tone...I polished it as best as I could. It was a decent amp, but the speakers. & cab were complete junk. Hell the entire 4x12 cab with speakers may have weighed 30lbs.

But yea, I thought I gave them a halfway decent mix...not perfect, but I had heard the song so much that I was about to pull out my hair! I wouldn't have thought it was possible to make it sound that much worse :(.

And the snare...my god man. The song also has clean sections with some ghost notes & lighter snare hits. Well, in his version it sounds like he added a one shot snare sample so the clean sections sound even more wacky than the clip I posted!

But still the average listener would connect the bad sound to the mixing-engineer too.

I think they'd have to be below average, in a weird way. Most average listeners I engage with - I run a small record label attribute most of everything on a recording to the band first*. Slightly up from them are those who read the booklet to get the details.

*the band calls the shots, it's their money etc etc

I think they'd have to be below average, in a weird way. Most average listeners I engage with - I run a small record label attribute most of everything on a recording to the band first*. Slightly up from them are those who read the booklet to get the details.

*the band calls the shots, it's their money etc etc

The band certainly does call the shots...and it seems like things can go either really well or really bad. I hate having to record a band that is completely opposed to trying anything new. They come in sayimg something like "I already have my guitar tone dialed in just where I want it." I ask to make some adjustments & try to explain that recording is nothing like playing live, but some bands just will not relent. One perfect example I can give....I recently recorded a band and the guitar player showed up with his computer and a line 6 UX2. He had his "ideal" tones dialed in to podfarm on his computer. Well, I don't have podfarm, so for him to use his tones, he had to plug in to his interface/computer, and then output to my imterface/computer. It all sounds like a bad idea from the start, his guitar is basically being sampled twice. To top it off, his tones were utter sh!t. He was using the mesa boogie model in podfarm, gain maxed out, bass/resonance maxed, mids scooped. I was baffled that anyone could think this tone was great. I mean it was beyond boomy and harsh, and so much gain that it might as well have been white noise lol.

Anyways, long story short, he did not want his guitar tone changed. No matter what I said, he just felt like his band had to have the tones that he had dialed in. I knew there was no way I could make them a decent mix with his tones. Luckily he was not sure how everything needed to be hooked up since we were recording from his computer to mine. I told him I would take care of it & he could grab a quick smoke. I hooked up his rig and got it all setup so that I could record his dry guitar DI. They finally finish tracking and I was at least able to dial in some usable tones with amp sims. The funny thing is, the guitar player never even realized what I had done.

But yea, the band is in charge, but that can easily make things much more difficult than they need to be. Where I live, most musicians attribute the quality of a recording to the mixing engineer. They have this idea that it is possible to fix ANYTHING with the technology that is available. Its kinda scary how few musicians realize that a good recording starts at the SOURCE. This is the reason why I get so upset when a band "modifies" my work. I communicate with bands during the entire mixing process and I do my best to make their mix just the way they want it. They tell me what they want changed, and I do it. I send them sample after sample until they are happy. I'll work on it as long as needed, and I charge a (too low) flat fee per song. There is no reason a band should need to change something when you consider all the input they have during the mixing process. When they do make changes, it is a huge slap in the face.

Okay...end of rant lol