What to get next, HELP!

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I just found the Unicorn-Emotional Wateland cd. WOW:) ! I also have these Dan projects-
EoS-Purgatory Afterglow
EoS-Crimson
DanS=Moontower
Nightingale-Breathing Shadow
Nightingale-Closing Chronicles
Nightingale-I
PanThyMonium-Kahoos and Konfusion
Bloodbath-ep
Odyssey-s/t
Unicorn-Emotional Wasteland

My faves, in order-I, Odyssey, Emotional Wasteland, Moontower, Crimson.

My question is-What Swano project or cd do I get next? From a Swano fanatics perspective, what do I desperately need to fill out my collection?

By the way Dan if youre listening, my wife has stolen the Unicorn disc from me. She absolutely loves it. I agree, it is a beautiful, moving, and musically accomplished masterpiece. I am dead serious!

Anyways, Dan-thanks for the music, Dan fans-what should I get next? Thanks:)

Well, I'd suggest going for the ultimate Swano experience: any of the Infestdead stuff, EOS's 'Infernal',(if for nothing other than "Hell Is Where The Heart Is". My favorite EOS song aside from "Crimson"), and,(just so you can get the idea of what kind of atmosphere Dan can create when working as a producer for another band) Opeth's 'Morningrise'.

I have all the Opeth stuff, I'm a big Opeth fan. That is how I heard of and got into Swano stuff, Crimson and Bloodbath first.

What is the Infestdead stuff like? I'm really a fan of the more technical and melodic stuff (although I like the brutal stuff too).

Originally posted by dolphz
What is the Infestdead stuff like? I'm really a fan of the more technical and melodic stuff (although I like the brutal stuff too).

It's Dan's pure brutal Death Metal project. Tounge-in-cheek over the top evil lyrics, monsterous riffs, and excessively short songs. It really shows exactly how much of a range, style-wise, Dan has when you compare it to all the other work he's done.

I highly recommend the Infestdead stuff! Get the Hellfuck cd!!! It's death metal that in a way is sorta like Deicide.. but much better!

Also EoS - The Spectral Sorrows, Unorthodox, and Until Eternity Ends!

I am hesitant to but the Infestdead stuff, it seems as if Dan considered this stuff to be kind of a "tongue in cheek" joke. I am more interested in stuff that shows his musical and melodic/progressive songwriting skills. I will prbably search down all the Unicorn stuff next.

Unicorn is definetely worth it if you want to follow the melodic /progressive streak.

The spectral sorrows would be a good buy, too.
Depending on your musical taste, you might want to look into Therion, since Dan did the vocals on several songs.
Until eternity ends is great, too.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: get ROUTE NINE!!! Seriously, I think it is the best metal project Dan has ever done, even better than Edge Of Sanity! It's only six songs, but the inspiration and conviction Dan displays on this recording far outshine any other recording he has done in the metal arena. It' fucking amazing! Definitely order it directly from Dan if you haven't already!

Did someone say Route9 is better than Edge of Sanity?......YOU'RE SHITTING ME RIGHT?!?!???! I laughed hysterically for hours after reading that. Route 9 is not bad but is not even remotely comparable to most of his other projects IMAO, and CERTAINLY not in the same league as EOS. I would suggest as others have to get Edge of Sanity "The Spectral Sorrows" it is EOS's next best work bedhind Crimson and is their most melodic cd. You already have all of Dans top 3 or 4 works, so you're not gonna come by something mind-blowing in comparison. Also you may want to check out Diabolical Masquerade's "Death Design" which Dan had a hand in. So far I have yet to talk to anyone who doesn't like that. If you get it and love it, then also get DM's "Nightwork"

Originally posted by Metal88
Did someone say Route9 is better than Edge of Sanity?......YOU'RE SHITTING ME RIGHT?!?!???! I laughed hysterically for hours after reading that.

Glad to see that I amuse you! And no, I am NOT shitting you one bit--it's simply my OPINION. I worship EoS and think they are one of the greatest metal entities that ever existed, but I find Route Nine to be more to my liking, even though the bands really aren't that comparable. Another thing about EoS: with the exception of Purgatory Afterglow and Crimson, they are the kind of band where I only listen to one or two songs off each CD, instead of spinning all the way through. Unorthodox, and Infernal are the most poignant examples of this, although the majority of The Spectral Sorrows is very strong material. Again, just my opinion...